POR15 info please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• POR15 info please

Hello all haven't posted up in a bit hope all is well. Im busy collecting parts for my suspension build. Ill be either upgrading or refurbishing pretty much everything. Prob neat to coat both subframes, front control arms, hub carriers, and other bits with some sort of rust protection. Originally i was thinking of using some Ben Moore iron clad rust inhibitor, but after testing it on some brackets and other pieces I wasn't too impressed. Some of you have suggested that I use POR15 and I have a few questions....

1.) Will I need to primer first?
    2.) How long does it take to dry? Im looking to do phase 1 (rear subframe overhaul) in a weekend and have it drivable by Monday morning.
    3.) How many coats required for a good lasting protection?
    4.) How much of it should I get for 2 subframes, 2 control arms, 4 hub carriers, 4 brake shields, and some other small bits?
    5.) Does it have any weaknesses? I think I read somewhere that it is U.V. light sensitive? so leaving it in the sun to dry is a no no?
    6.) Whats the going rate for the stuff?
    7.) Anything else I should know?

Thanks to anyone who has input or can help out
    Justin
    1990 Audi Coupe Quattro= http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46309
    1991 Audi 200 20VTQA= http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54410
    1987 Audi Coupe GT

Originally posted by Kliminati456 View Post
    Hello all haven't posted up in a bit hope all is well. Im busy collecting parts for my suspension build. Ill be either upgrading or refurbishing pretty much everything. Prob neat to coat both subframes, front control arms, hub carriers, and other bits with some sort of rust protection. Originally i was thinking of using some Ben Moore iron clad rust inhibitor, but after testing it on some brackets and other pieces I wasn't too impressed. Some of you have suggested that I use POR15 and I have a few questions....

1.) Will I need to primer first?
    2.) How long does it take to dry? Im looking to do phase 1 (rear subframe overhaul) in a weekend and have it drivable by Monday morning.
    3.) How many coats required for a good lasting protection?
    4.) How much of it should I get for 2 subframes, 2 control arms, 4 hub carriers, 4 brake shields, and some other small bits?
    5.) Does it have any weaknesses? I think I read somewhere that it is U.V. light sensitive? so leaving it in the sun to dry is a no no?
    6.) Whats the going rate for the stuff?
    7.) Anything else I should know?

Thanks to anyone who has input or can help out
    In my experience with POR15 if the surface you are painting is freshly sand blasted it can be applied directly. It will be touch dry in an hour or so you can speed up the drying process by spraying fine mist water spray over it. I would suggest at least 2 coats to give it good coverage. 1 small tin is more than enough to do a set of running gear BUT if you don't paint everything in one sitting it's a complete pain in the Harris to get back into the tin no matter how careful you are. The weakness is that it is not UV stable and goes dull in direct sunlight over the space if about 6 months but under the car it appears to last very well. DO NOT get it on your skin as I have had many hours in the shower with a scrubbing brush and still not been able to get it off successfully once it has dried. Have a search on google for POR15 and Frost which is the name of the company in the UK that sells it.

All round it is my all-time favourite paint for this type of application 10/10
    Audi Nut!!!

Comment

POR15 is really great stuff but you do have to invest some time with it to get best results.

As said above you can apply ordinary directly onto sandblasted rust free surface. If not blasting you need to have the item decreased. Por15 recommend their own product for that and I must say it is the best I have used - a product called marine clean.

After rinsing that off you need to prime it with a por15 product called metal ready. Rinse off excess when that is finished and then when the item is dry you are ready for por15.

As said above the plain por15 is not good on items exposed to uv light. For additional protection you need a topcoat such as their chassis black paint.

The plain por15 leaves a high gloss finish but the chassis black dries a lovely satin black which is perfect for subframes etc

Amazing results can be had with careful application by brush but it can be sprayed too

You MUST use por15 own thinners - I dunno anything else that thins it or cleans brushes.

It's a lot of effort but it gives a nice rewarding finish.
      Paul Nugent
      Webmaster http://S2central.net
      Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
      2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
      2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

where can you source it in the Uk over the counter?
        sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

I got mine from holdens.co.uk very quick delivery

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk
          1996 Audi S2 - 295bhp and 326lb/ft - Complete Rebuild Project

1994 Audi 80 - 2.0 8v (slow but reliable!)

Comment

don't know anywhere over the counter mate, Frosts used to be the exclusive UK sellers, but not any more, which is why its dropped in price a bit
            They can get it to you next day though if thats any help?
            Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
            Indigo ABY coupé
            Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

anything else which would be good...am tempted to just use something else to buy me some time as the subframe has been blasted and zinc'd and then get it powdercoated as per the front.
              sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Echo all the points above. I have had success priming with Hydrate 80 which is brilliant if you don't go down the sand blasting route as you can simply wire brush the rust off, use hydrate 80 which amazingly turns rusty metal black and suitable for overcoating with POR15 Chassis black. I have done both front and rear subframes with it and although not perfect to look at it seals up the frame again with a long last black finish.

http://www.bilthamber.com/pro-introd...e=hydrate%2080

Cheers,

Steve
                The Perfectionist
                sigpic
                Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

seems to be great stuff according to the replies on here. Think I will go for the blasting and powdercoating route though now I had a look at the prices for Por 15.

Comment

Working...
                  X