Tonks's Berg Cup Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tonks's Berg Cup Car

I have started a thread over on the classic Audi forum but thought I ought to keep you guys updated also.
    I started this project last week so I will copy over my posts to get you up to date...

Hi guys thought I would start and official thread for this car now....

The Donor....
    1985 Audi 80 2 Door Quattro GTE

I bought this little gem in May 2010 from eBay.de and travelled all the way down to virtually the czech border to fetch it, the collection was tied in to a visit to Ingolstadt so that was good. However the car and trailer along with the Audi were towed from the Museum car park which is another story.

Anyhow once it was home there was a large debate as to what to do with it ie 20vt, body kits, or just restore it to it's former glory.

A decision could not be made so I stuffed it into storage for a while.

After some time and a lot of thought I decided even though it was very low mileage 60k km and a full Audi Service History, it was a scabby old bird and needs a lot of work.

This will be a rolling project and I want to keep it on the road as often as possible rather than having a long term project.

So the final aim will be a recreation of the 80 2 door GLE burg cup car which is displayed in the Audi museum.

The original car was a 1.6 and revved to something silly. I hatched a plan that this was not enough of a challenge so I am opting for a B7 RS4 V8

So just before Xmas I posted a wanted add for an engine, and happily I was informed of one for sale so that is now sat in the corner awaiting fitting.

Next was the burg cup kit, as some of you are aware SteveT63 and have just been to Germany again to collect another 2 door for Steve, while we were there we arranged to meet with Mr Schmidt, by all accounts he is the burg cup god! So we made a deal and have ordered the kits, they should be here in the next 3 to 4 weeks.

So now is the time to start on the body prep....
    Audi Nut!!!

22nd March

So I'll start with the front valance. Both bumpers have been removed and the lights have been taken out.
    More rot is now visible

A good clean inside the front bumper housing a dose of KRust and then a lick of primer.

To them make the front look like the cup car most of the holes on the front need to be filled, so the sheet work was cut and welded into place ready for dressing

After dressing the welds it was given a coat of primer so I can see where it will need the filler

After a skim of filler and a sand down

So I now have the other side to do, several holes in the bottom valance to repair and then a final tidy and paint.

Meanwhile I got a little impatient and had a quick play with the other colours to make sure they looked the right colour

They look about right so I can sand the rest of the body down and repair all the rest of the scabs and rot but I will keep you posted...
    Audi Nut!!!

Comment

23rd March

Well I have seen some basket cases but this needs lots of work....
      This is the bottom of the passenger door

So had to put some steel back on there to start from....

Audi Nut!!!

Comment

23rd March

Nearly finished the front now with all the holes and vents welded closed and the extension caps at either end like the typ81 has but the typ85 doesn't.

Audi Nut!!!

Comment

24th March

Thanks all...

Well today's progress has been slow as I have had 3 Land Rovers to sort first. The jobs done today are made a start at repairing drivers side sill, some work on one of the nasty rotten doors which still need some work but are a damn sight closer than they were and the fun bit for me is the boot lid has come out pretty well

The red looks real dark on my pie phone ????
          Audi Nut!!!

Comment

25th March

Well here is today's little instalment, had lots of interruption from paying customers so did not get much done today... It consisted mainly of more welding, more filling, more sanding, more painting followed by more flatting.

Audi Nut!!!

Comment

26th March

Today's instalment consisted of making my way towards getting it running...

Firstly we need some power so on goes a fully charged battery to see what happens. Well everything powers up which is a good start.
              Secondly we need some fresh fuel in there, the tank was drained and 20L of unleaded was tipped in.
              However on cranking I could hear a rush of fluid from underneath on closer inspection I have a pair of fuel lines that would be better suited to a sprinkler system in a greenhouse.

They are rotten from front to back, even the copper repair sections have gone that rotten and green it's leaking also. There were 7 bits of rubber pipe where they had been patched up in the past.

So to cut my losses I have replaced 2 fresh runs from front to back in Cupronickel which is pretty much totally corrosion resistant so I will never have to do them again. I have fitted a second hand fuel pump and filter assembly as they old one fell off with a gentle poke

All the brake pipes have been renewed.

On removal of the fuel lines I made the decision that it would be a damn sight easier to get to them in the engine bay if the battery tray was not there. Especially as there will be no room for it when the V8 does go in. So out with the plasma cutter and out with the battery tray.

I have now put the battery in the boot, I will need to make a tray and mount for it. I have fed some new type high amp winch cable through the rear bulkhead, along the floor pan and through the front bulkhead and down the inside of the chassis leg like a UR quattro, so it exits through the grommet right next to the starter motor.

After these bits were sorted it was time to try and start it. Tried cranking several times but no start. I made a school boy error and got the flow and return mixed up, 10 mins later and a quick prime with activating the fuel pump relay manually she fired up.

It sounds like a German tank as there is more holes in the exhaust that a colander so that was next on my list. I didn't have another typ85 quattro exhaust so I have chopped up an old stainless S2 exhaust and welded that in for the time being, again I will have a custom one made when the V8 is in.

Then drove it up the street and back just for a giggle

And then reversed it in the garage to do some more bodywork.

Most of the back end is now primed there Is a few small patches that need attention.

And then finally to cheer me up and give me motivation the boot lid was placed on to see what it will look like.

I know it won't look right with the facelift rear end but it will do until stage 3 of the refurb, when the early style rear end lands.

Audi Nut!!!

Comment

27th March

Well another 12 hours spent and you can't really see where I have been this time, I have spent a lot of time welding to blank off all the trim holes in the doors and cills and repairing the rotten sections of the cills. I spent quite a long time flatting and filling over the trim holes I have welded up and I have put some more paint on...

Audi Nut!!!

Comment

28th March

Thanks 90quattro :tup:

Well today's plan was to finish the cills, finish the doors, strip the interior and get the inside prepped and painted and try and finish the paint on the outside. However......

Once the rear interior was out

I spent forever pulling the stupid green fluff off the floor. Then I began to have a poke around to make sure it was all solid but even though it looked spot on under the seam sealer there was another storey.

So I cut out the rot with the plasma cutter

Then welded some steel back in

Then lashings of seam sealer as used by Audi when they built it in the first place

Then followed by 4 hours of cleaning all the sticky stuff of the parcel shelf and rear bulkhead with a Massive Thanks to Ash for lending a hand with the cleaning

Followed by a first coat of Satin Black

Looking forward see what the result is like in the morning.

Now off for a shower and clean the black paint from my nostrils lol guess it's time for a new spray mask
                  Audi Nut!!!

Comment

29th March

Passed it's MOT

Well it would have been at the pub meet but.....

The paint is still wet and it's absolutely pissing down now

Audi Nut!!!

Comment

30th March

Not much done today had a real busy day with Land Rover stuff, but I did manage to have a tinker with fitting my seats and harnesses

Audi Nut!!!

Comment

31st March

Tonights exploits consisted of the front suspension refurb.....
                        Many thanks to Ian B AKA Bazburn for giving me hand today while his car was in for some body work

All the suspension is very tired so it has been replaced with some H&R's to stiffen it up and some new top mounts.

Everything has been de-scaled and painted with black hamerite including the arches.

All new disks and pads should be here in the morning so should get the rear suspension and those fitted tomorrow night

Audi Nut!!!

Comment

1st April

Today's little stint has turned into a mammoth task...
                          Both rear springs have also been swapped all the arches painted new top mounts and new disks and pads but I have had 3 lots of front disks and they have all been wrong so will be getting the proper ones on Tuesday all being well.

I think every nut and bolt was seized with lashings of rust on top of more rust.

So everything has had a dose of copperslip and it now drives like a new pin

So could not resist stuck on the trade plates, put £30 of fresh fuel in and went out for 10 to 15 miles test drive.

It has a funny issue once warm it starts to miss and cut out. Once restarted it's ok again for a couple of mile and then it does it again. So will have to look at that but it's the first time it has been above 20 mph in the last 5 to 10 years

Must say even with the 1.8 it feels a right nippy little thing with it all stripped out. It seems very tail happy which nearly caught me out on the first few twisty corners
                          Audi Nut!!!

Comment

2nd April

Not a lot done today, got the stripe extended onto the passenger door

And have not touched it today so you are all up to date I will keep you posted.....

Audi Nut!!!

Comment

Fantastic project, 2 door 80 super rare machine there. Cant wait to see that lump in the engine bay! Good Luck.
                              Probably the longet S2 project in history EVER!

Comment

Working...
                              X