X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Propshaft

Chronic noise on car is propshaft. Three questions

1 What will happpen if I leave it ?

2 Did all S2/RS2 have a grease nipple as my dealer claims mine does not !

3 Is there an exchange option from Audi or not

The answer to the first may help me with the warranty that will probably bounce any claim as 'it has not failed yet'

Cheers
    Alastair
    RS2

HI Alistair,

well to answer...

1) progressively more wear which will lead to failure, sometimes can be quite dramatic failure! What exactly is wrong with it though?? normally the joints just wear out. These things are so strong its pretty rare to 'wear them out'
    2) I don't ever remember seeing one on mine!
    3) No, they don't do exchange ones. The cheapest we have for brand new is £495+vat. I'm sure you could find a used one if you wanted used.

HTH?
    Martyn

Originally posted by alg
    Chronic noise on car is propshaft. Three questions

1 What will happpen if I leave it ?

2 Did all S2/RS2 have a grease nipple as my dealer claims mine does not !

3 Is there an exchange option from Audi or not

The answer to the first may help me with the warranty that will probably bounce any claim as 'it has not failed yet'

Cheers
    Martyn
    -------------------------------------

www.vagparts.com

Comment

Alastair,

Are you sure it's not the torsen unit that's making the noise? I've heard of a few of these breaking and like Martyn said, I've never seen a totally worn out propshaft.
      My 3B S2 does have the grease nipple, however, it's hidden behind the heatshielding and at a nasty angle, so I doubt it's ever been greased.
      I'm sure you'll easily find a second hand propshaft. I bet most of them are sitting in breakers yards gathering dust. Give All Audi a call and see if they have one..

Good luck
      91 Modded 3B
      14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

wha noise does the torsen make, i am currently experiencing a wub wub wub noise which i think is either:

-rear diff
        -o/s/r wheel bearing
        -propshaft mid mount bearing
        -i guess it could be now the torsen too???

could it also be a dry cv on the prop too maybe? I have read somewhere on the web about these also making noises....

Love to know any tips on how to isolate these

Cheers
        sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Find a large car park - NOT the M25 or the M3 though...

Then drive slowly in circles or figure 8's to determine what side the noise is coming from.

Wheel bearings are easy enough checked if you raise a wheel with the jack - then grip the wheel and wiggle to see if you can feel play in the bearing. Need to have handbrake off for this test on rear wheels obviously so chock t'other wheels of course.

Any sign of CV joint grease splattered anywhere from a split boot ?

Paul
          Paul Nugent
          Webmaster http://S2central.net
          Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
          2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
          2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Originally posted by Martynf
            HI Alistair,

well to answer...

1) progressively more wear which will lead to failure, sometimes can be quite dramatic failure! What exactly is wrong with it though?? normally the joints just wear out. These things are so strong its pretty rare to 'wear them out'
            2) I don't ever remember seeing one on mine!
            3) No, they don't do exchange ones. The cheapest we have for brand new is £495+vat. I'm sure you could find a used one if you wanted used.

HTH?
            Martyn
            Long story of noise. See thread http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthr...ighlight=noise
            Seems CV joint/s at end propshaft worn as per Jimmys post. As I understand its a single unit from audi unless you wish to overhaul with BMW bearings.
            So where is the famous grease nipple as the mechanic claimed to have taken down shielding twice and not found one. Or is it only on S2 coupe ???
            Alastair
            RS2

Comment

Originally posted by SteveH
              Alastair,

Are you sure it's not the torsen unit that's making the noise? I've heard of a few of these breaking and like Martyn said, I've never seen a totally worn out propshaft.
              My 3B S2 does have the grease nipple, however, it's hidden behind the heatshielding and at a nasty angle, so I doubt it's ever been greased.
              I'm sure you'll easily find a second hand propshaft. I bet most of them are sitting in breakers yards gathering dust. Give All Audi a call and see if they have one..

Good luck
              I really do not know. The noise tends to come at 3000-4500rpm when feathering the throttle in gear and out of gear (i.e. you can reproduce it stationary) Its a metallic scraping/rubbing sound over your left shoulder. Its been gearbox then cats then exhaust baffles then split internal exhaust seam now propshaft CVs
              Doesnt the torsen disengage out of gear/load so unlikely if I can produce sound at standstill ?????
              Alastair
              RS2

Comment

S2 propshafts are fully rebuiltable and all necessary parts are available :
                - CV joints are same as rear driveshaft joints in Ford Scorpio (all models), or Porsche 911 (MY 64 to 90), GLO part costs about 55 euros here in Finland
                - center u-joint 69.8mm x 26mm, about 40e
                - center bearing with housing from BMW 315 (for coupe atleast) about 35e

So you should be able to do a full rebuild for a 200e + work. No special tools are needed so it can be done by yourself. Worst part is getting the propshaft out of the car, you have to remove the exhaust system first. And getting the propshaft parts separated for changing the center bearing can be a pain in the a... you may need a big hammer...

Greasing the center u-joint through the grease nipple doesn't help if it is already so badly worn that it is making noise, only replacing with new one helps. I replaced mine at 230 000 km, it had never been greased and the joint was almost dry. No serious damage yet but it was a bit loose already.
                Last edited by JariP; 8 February 2005, 13:35.

Comment

Tell us more Jari - like exact part numbers from the Ford, Porsche or BuMWipe lists !

Great info - and timely too as I'm updating the transmission section on S2 central.

Any photos or special procedures you want to share, above what is already documented in manuals of course !

Paul
                  Paul Nugent
                  Webmaster http://S2central.net
                  Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
                  2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
                  2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

If the noise can be reproduced when stationary then how can it be the propshaft that doesnt turn unless the car is moving?? OR for that matter a CV joint. If you mechanic suggested it might be the prop then find a new garage!!!

Does it still make the noise with your foot on the clutch?? If so then its not the gearbox or torsen in anyway. Could be any rotating part, try taking off the PAS pump belt and see if that stops it. Have had an old A100 that sent a noise into the cabin via the rack, and that was the pump.
                    sigpic
                    Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
                    Audi UR Quattro
                    Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
                    Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
                    Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

I'm not Jari, but may I:

Löbro (OEM) CV-joint = 301142 = Ford 149 3963 = Ford 72 GG 4635 BA = Porsche 923 332 032 00
                      Febi Bilstein center mount/bearing = 05196 = BMW 26 11 1 206 502 = BMW 26 12 1 104 355
                      Center joint can be found by measurements as an universal item.
                      -

Comment

Originally posted by audiman
                        If the noise can be reproduced when stationary then how can it be the propshaft that doesnt turn unless the car is moving?? OR for that matter a CV joint. If you mechanic suggested it might be the prop then find a new garage!!!

Does it still make the noise with your foot on the clutch?? If so then its not the gearbox or torsen in anyway. Could be any rotating part, try taking off the PAS pump belt and see if that stops it. Have had an old A100 that sent a noise into the cabin via the rack, and that was the pump.
                        Ok I give up. So what can cause a metallic noise on the move (in low gears) and stationary at around 3-4000rpm which can be made to continue by feathering the throttle. Clutch pedal has no influence at all.
                        What is moving when reving stationary out of gear ???????????????
                        HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                        Alastair
                        RS2

Comment

PAS pump, alternator, AC compressor, timing belt tensioner, water pump, exhaust heatsheild.
                          sigpic
                          Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
                          Audi UR Quattro
                          Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

Could be alsorts of things. Its impossible to tell without hearing it, or eliminating items. Take it to another garage any see if they can come up with the goods. Where have you been taking it??
                            sigpic
                            Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
                            Audi UR Quattro
                            Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

I too have this noise, it is more of a rattle on mine, only when there is no load on the drive train, ie your changing gear with clutch dipped, or at standstill in neutral. Its not the exhaust as i have changed that, its not the heatshields as i have chopped them off the down pipe and checked all the under body ones, its not the cats as i took them off when i fitted the new exhaust to check them, all i can think of is either handbrake cable is touching the prop shaft/heat shield, but then again with the handbrake applied it still rattles, or the prop shaft itself has worn rattly components or a dry spline. There realy isnt much else under there
                              Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.--:Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                              X