No announcement yet.

Propshaft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think Ben represents the entire Stearship knowledge left for the S2 and Rs2. Top Man!
    1995 S2 Avant with some upgrades

Designun Limited....
    Aerospace, Space and Motorsport Design Consultancy and hardware supply.

Comment

@Ben - any chance you can accidently order one of those prop tools
      sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Well I found out what mine was.....U-joint was shot.

The part that is pinched onto the CF side of the shaft is damaged because of the old center bearing being distorted.
        The deflection caused an ever so slight warpage on the said U-joint. Now I have a complete new shafty coming in.
        Check the u-joint very carefully with good lighting. If it is the joint you'll see the damage.

Comment

i get some kind of noise like squeeking sound that corresponds to acceleration,but only in some occasions meaning on 1st gear when starting to move and on 2nd gear on mild acceleration between 2500rpm and 3500rpm.It doesnt happen all the time,and usually happens after the engine is worked a while and i have covered about 500m of road.It seems to be coming from the center section of the car just below the handbrake,so im guessing the propshaft.

I have already ordered the support bearing as it is my first guess,but i was wondering if there is anything else i should look for.
          All front and rear silent blocks have been replaced with new,all mounts and gear box mounts have been checked as well.

any recommendations?

Comment

My propshaft noise revealed itself after hard acceleration in low gears & even at standstill if you lifted off suddenly.
            Have thought of worn engine mounts & downpipe/heatshield noise ?
            Alastair
            RS2

Comment

it is more like squeeks rather than metals hitting one another.It does not happen under hard acceleration... only in slow accel and then stops

Comment

ok after tonight drive the squeeks have become more permanent on most every gear and on different velocity the sound becomes either louder or more subtle.
                on 2nd gear it is louder,and on 3d gear becomes lower but permanent...

The sound comes from below and mostly middle and behind the car

Comment

sounds like centre bearing for the prop.....does it smell of burning rubber as mine does currently after a thrash?
                  sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

i think i may have smelled something...cannot be sure..

thanks!
                    i will certainly have a look this week

Comment

well
                      i replaced the bearing with the BMW part and also fitted the apicol unit for the rear diff.
                      Now the noise is back only in hard acceleration!!!! It sounds as if either the bearing is knackered already or something else is wrong!!!

Th cv joints were not replaced only greased again...Why now!!???

Comment

@ papvas, as a side note can you pls post a review of the apicol mount please? Am interested in potentially fitting one of these myself and would appreciate your feedback etc thanks
                        RS2+ (now sold...)

Comment

Originally posted by PapVas View Post
                          ok after tonight drive the squeeks have become more permanent on most every gear and on different velocity the sound becomes either louder or more subtle.
                          on 2nd gear it is louder,and on 3d gear becomes lower but permanent...

The sound comes from below and mostly middle and behind the car
                          Can you get the noise with the car at rest ?

Think, on move exhaust or gearbox or engine mounts

Think, at rest propshaft still exhaust including downpipe heat shield

Good luck
                          Alastair
                          RS2

Comment

well here a solution..dont know if it is going to be permanent...

as you see in the picture,this is the front side. as you can see,which should be fitted on the propshaft.As we did this,the curb of the rubber where the black arrows show,is not as strong as the original part and as the propshaft moves up and down during hard acceleration that curb of the rubber was bent and so the wide cylindrical part of the propshaft was touching the edge of the support bearing thus making the ugly metal sound.
                            What we did was fit the support the other way around,with the front part facing the rear of the car.On the back of the support (not seen on the photo) there is much more room for the propshaft to move around without anything touching anything.However we did have to grind the rubber where the orange/red arrow shows circomferencially in order for it not to touch the rear propshaft axle.This enables the propshaft to move with the support still holding everything in place and nothing making any noise as there is room to move without touching.The position of the holes for the support did not have to change and everything was bolted on nicely!

@Alg
                            again the noise came with only movement of the car,not with neutral stationary.in both occasions my propshaft bearing did not have any problems.It was the the rubber which met it's top (or lowest) position thus the propshaft was reaching the support's outer circle.If the rubber was more heavy duty,then the movement of the propshaft would be much less and everything would be in place no matter the acceleration.

@Lloyd
                            I have written a few words on my project thread.I will add a few more now since i have been driving the car more.
                            Last edited by A80Avant; 29 August 2009, 20:21.

Comment

http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthr...ight=propshaft

here is the link with the photos of how the support is normaly fitted.I fitted it in reverse now

Comment

Anyone know what BMW model I need to order the centre bearing from?
                                I want to get it from Euro Car Parts so having the BMW pt no doesn't help me
                                Cheers
                                Alex
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X