Thinking of restoring my 1990 S2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking of restoring my 1990 S2

Hi there, I'm thinking of restoring my Green S2 thats been sitting in a barn for a few years.... It needs a full respray and the lower front spoiler has a hole amongst other annoying probs I seem to remember! Its one of the original S2's that came fully loaded with Aircon(that deffo doesn't work) and electrically tilting rear windows, and is emerald green. I took it off the road when I got my S4 avant, but couldn't bare to part with it so I still own it. It will be made as close to factory if I do it. I'm guessing parts are hard to get hold now...
    Just trying to work out costs etc, but have got the bug as it appeared in an old VW/Audi mag on front cover, as it was a press car. Any advice and recommendations gladly received.

Thanks

If you are doing it yourself it's not that expensive. Most parts can be found after a bit of hunting around. I think I spent about £10k on my Avant which included painting and lots of second hand parts that were missing like seats, exhaust and wheels etc, etc. This was only possible with help from some great people on this forum.
    If you are getting it done for you, it's a very expensive thing.
    Where are you based?
    Nothelle S2 Avant
    Black Ur project
    Ocianic Ur project gone
    S2 Coupe project gone
    Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Sounds interesting, I'm pretty sure the first ones to land here were green?

Was it running well prior to being parked up?

What bits of the resto will you be doing yourself?

Comment

Great to have a lottery winner on the forum!
        1996 S2 ABY Coupe silver
        2003 S3 8L dolphin grey
        2014 RS4 B8 prism silver

Comment

Originally posted by Tractor Dave View Post
          If you are doing it yourself it's not that expensive. Most parts can be found after a bit of hunting around. I think I spent about £10k on my Avant which included painting and lots of second hand parts that were missing like seats, exhaust and wheels etc, etc. This was only possible with help from some great people on this forum.
          If you are getting it done for you, it's a very expensive thing.
          Where are you based?
          Thanks for reply Dave. It depends on how busy I maths year as to how much I do myself. The most expensive bit will be the paint. Its most annoying feature was an intermittent temp gauge which, despite changing everything (both sensors and actual temp gauge) it remained intermittent. My suspicion is a wiring/multiplug on instrument binnacle as it could get a wet floor in heavy rain(another annoying feature)!
          I'm based in Berkshire.

Comment

Originally posted by John. View Post
            Sounds interesting, I'm pretty sure the first ones to land here were green?

Was it running well prior to being parked up?

What bits of the resto will you be doing yourself?

Thanks John, yes the first batch were green. I'll put a pic up.
            It was running fine when played up. Bits I need are the lower bit of front bumper/spoiler, assuming they separate, if not a new bumper or get mine repaired if possible? its just a hole on lower black spoiler. The brakes and lines I will do, and I will try and keep original. Not sure if callipers and discs are still available??

Comment

Originally posted by 4WDrifter View Post
              Great to have a lottery winner on the forum!
              Oh don't say that! that bad eh?!

Comment

EAA2DBF9-C066-4608-8BC5-2D423F8A88C0.jpeg
                This is my actual car as it was in 91! Its the only car I've ever owned before or since, where I got stopped by people who told me it was their dream car.
                This pic reminded me how perfect it was.

Comment

Very nice. As you are in the South East, getting the paint done well will be the expensive bit. If you are just refurb existing bits, it won't be very expensive. You shouldn't need a lottery ticket
                  Nothelle S2 Avant
                  Black Ur project
                  Ocianic Ur project gone
                  S2 Coupe project gone
                  Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Originally posted by Tractor Dave View Post
                    Very nice. As you are in the South East, getting the paint done well will be the expensive bit. If you are just refurb existing bits, it won't be very expensive. You shouldn't need a lottery ticket
                    Thanks for reply Dave-are things like Calipers and discs easily available?

Comment

Try "Big Red" for caliper rebuid, discs you'll get ok.

Bigg Red

Comment

Thanks John.

Comment

There was one question which the experts on here may have the answer. On the front bumper, is the lower black spoiler part able to separate from the above piece? I'm guessing not, but if I can't find a good S2 bumper, just need the lower black bit, if the makes sense? mine has a hole from hitting debris years ago.

The other thing I wondered is, has anybody tried fitting a more modern AC compressor? Mine is a Denso, and was knackered years ago. Since then the refrigerant type has changed twice, so I'm guessing there's little chance of getting that going again...shame, as it was an excellent AC when it worked.

Comment

Originally posted by GreenS2 View Post
                            There was one question which the experts on here may have the answer. On the front bumper, is the lower black spoiler part able to separate from the above piece? I'm guessing not, but if I can't find a good S2 bumper, just need the lower black bit, if the makes sense? mine has a hole from hitting debris years ago.
                            Maybe you could post a picture of the damage to the bumper?

Comment

Originally posted by John. View Post

Maybe you could post a picture of the damage to the bumper?
                              Yep I will do when I can. Thanks for all your help anyway, and I think I will try and restore the old girl.

Comment

Working...
                              X