• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HDR images

One for the camera/photoshop heads

Has anyone messed about with them?

For those not in the know, this is the basics behind them:
    When a camera takes a photo, it cannot capture the full range of light in the shot.
    A picture is obviously made up from the very light sunny bits, down to the dark shadows, and all that is inbetween.
    The average camera can only grab a limited range (very expensive ones have wider ranges) so you take a number of shots, each with a different exposure setting.
    You then end up with shots capturing the dark areas, and the lightest ones all in greater detail than if you took just one shot to cover them all.
    Then you can merge them all, and take the "best bits" from each, to create one single image that shows the whole range better.

I hope that makes sense!

Sadly, my camera doesnt do raw images, which is what is needed to make them properly, but I had a play about anyway and got some decent results.

This was the a "normal" shot taken at the same time as all of the varied exposure ones, to use as a comparison after.
    Followed by my first HDR attempt!
    (Give it time to load, its over 1MB to keep the quality high)

Maybe the colours are a bit too saturated in places, but Im pleased with my first effort

And this is how they can look when done with proper raw images

Very cool!! The fist pic looks like you car is faded and dirty!!

The difference between Std def and HD tv images is unreal too, after the cup final on bbc hd they showed planet earth- at the bit where the great white breached and ate the seal almost whole, my old man himself!!!!!!

This if you haven't seen it!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nr2__jr60j4
    Took them a month to capture that shot(and they had to build a camera using the slo mo ones used in car crash testing!!!!! 1 sec real time turns into 40 secs film time...... )

Comment

My car was dirty in the pics!
      I basically took a pic of the car as it was pretty much the first thing I came to outside the house lol
      I cant wait to try it when its cleaned and in a decent location

Comment

I've never been a fan of overdone HDR, prefer to see it being used for the sort of thing seen above - but some people make it an art-form in its own right.

Anyone who has tried to take a picture inside a dark building looking out into the daylight will appreciate what HDR can be really good at!

I'd be the first to admit that I'd rather work with the conditions available and fill in with light to make up for the dark areas, and expose for the lightest areas. But digital does make hard work of the range.
        Martin Cutting

aka Keeper of "The Teutonic Kitten"

It's not better than sex, but it runs it a close second.

Comment

I agree, I dont see it as being a "high quality" replacement for normal photos, more an alternative artistic type of thing

Comment

You can have a go on Saturday or Sunday Martyn!

Cheers,

Steve
            The Perfectionist
            sigpic
            Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

a few of mine:
              2007 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI S-line____2003 Audi A8 4.2 Quattro____1994 Audi RS2 2,2T Avant____Audi Quattro Experience____Audi Sportscar Experience
              Protected movement - with quattro

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Audi 80 View Post
                You can have a go on Saturday or Sunday Martyn!

Cheers,

Steve
                Oh yes, I am very much looking forward to getting some decent shots of the car once its finished

Comment

How do you do this then?
                  Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

I'm only seeing one pic of the car , should there be two?

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                    sigpic

Comment

The hi-res image was hosted on imageshack which is sometimes really slow, as I cant edit the post I'll post them both here

Comment

verry nice guy's keep it comming
                        ...it's getting closer.....

Comment

S4 Hdr

Although I shoot a load of stuff, I haven't really touched too much on HDR in a commercial way, I did think about it for the first book but it didnt really fit with the subject matter. I do think that HDR portraits are worth a try, but so far I have only really experimented with it on my S4.

If you have Photoshop you can get some good results, but I found that Capture One Pro is my favourite tool for photography and workflow, it has some good elements that make HDR a breeze.

Anyway, pics:

Comment

Not an S2, but my dailydriver , HDR is kinda nice

Comment

and my old pearl white A8 4.2:

Comment

Working...
                              X