Is my car battery dead ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is my car battery dead ?

hi all im having problems with my car battery at the moment need to get into the boot as the key wont go in the barrel its having none of it , iv tried to charge my bosch s4 battery and test it with a multimeter in and out of the car no readings what so ever on the meter does it mean its completely dead ? time to get a new one ? any help will be great cheers

It's unusual but not impossible I guess!
    As a sanity check, use the MM on another batery to make sure it is still functioning. You can use a regular household one.
    Of course the MM could be on the wrong setting or the leads in the wrong position.
    But yeah, if it at 0V then most modern charger are unable to charge it until it gets above a critical voltage threshold. You would need to use an older type charger to get some juice back in. Frankly if its a few years old and has been discharged to that extent you might as well replace it now and save any future problems.

Comment

If it's completely flat and you have a smart charger.
      Connect the charger then flash across the terminals with another battery to fool it into charging. Anything will do it, even a AA battery from a torch.
      Ensure correct polarity.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by twoqu View Post
        It's unusual but not impossible I guess!
        As a sanity check, use the MM on another batery to make sure it is still functioning. You can use a regular household one.
        Of course the MM could be on the wrong setting or the leads in the wrong position.
        But yeah, if it at 0V then most modern charger are unable to charge it until it gets above a critical voltage threshold. You would need to use an older type charger to get some juice back in. Frankly if its a few years old and has been discharged to that extent you might as well replace it now and save any future problems.
        thanks for the replyIv already tested the MM on another battery and it works perfectly fine , my mm has no settings the wires are built in it tried again and no readings , iv never changed the battery in my s6 since iv brought it so in that case is a new on then

Comment

Originally posted by newsh View Post
          If it's completely flat and you have a smart charger.
          Connect the charger then flash across the terminals with another battery to fool it into charging. Anything will do it, even a AA battery from a torch.
          Ensure correct polarity.
          that's sounds like a smart idea cheers il give it a go and let you know the update

Comment

Having been around the block a few times with "dead" batteries I've learned my lessons.
            Basically, if it's old and flat get a new one. Not even worth trying to resurrect it.

Comment

Originally posted by HPsauce View Post
              Having been around the block a few times with "dead" batteries I've learned my lessons.
              Basically, if it's old and flat get a new one. Not even worth trying to resurrect it.
              it is old and flat il get a new one cheers

Comment

Modern batteries "die" very quickly and abruptly these days. I have had two that were perfect one day then dead the next. I could not resurrect either with a smart trickle charge either... HTH
                The Perfectionist
                sigpic
                Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

From recent experience with my VW where my lad had left the rear lights on permanently and was just enough to bring dash bulbs up and not turn over it was a case of charging at a higher current for a prolonged period. Charged at around 4.8 amps for 48 hours and works fine again now. Modern batteries require a higher charging current for a longer period from what I understand, garages tend to have the right charging kit but I made do with a basic halfords charger
                  Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

Have you tried to recharge it with a charger such as the CTEK Mx5?

Comment

got a new battery in the end so its all good got myself a Bosch s4 battery from Euro car parts for only £105 with a life time warranty

Comment

Life time warrany? are you sure?, the S4 battery usually comes with a 4year warranty.
                        sigpic
                        1991 Audi S2 3B - 2.5 Stroker engine
                        1997 A6 2.5TDi quattro avant - C4
                        1976 RD250E / 350LC cafe racer

Comment

For sure I did yes geeza behind the counter asked one of the managers if this can be done and they let me have it I highly recommend euro car parts .

Comment

Don't use the S2 much, so keep an old computer psu in the car, set to 13.6 volts and on all the time except when using it. Constant voltage can't overcharge and something like a few amps rating is enough to stop the immobiliser draining the battery. Once a modern car battery is discharged to zero, it is usuallly scrap, sulphated up...

Comment

Working...
                            X