unfortunate Christmas - Damaged rear quarter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• unfortunate Christmas - Damaged rear quarter

Hi guys, I had no so good start to Christmas this year. I'll let pictures explain the damage, just wanted to see what people's opinions are on repairs. Would it be best to replace the quarter panel or pull out and repair? I am not writing her off, I am currently in contact with insurance to come to some kind of agreement as I told them straight that I am not writing her off and happily have Cat-C marking if it comes to it.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 2 photos.
    '93 Audi 100 Avant - R.I.P
    '92 Audi UrS4 Avant - SOLD
    '93 Audi UrS4 Avant LPG

Ive got a couple of body shop mates who've repaired worse than that.
    In an ideal world replacing the full quarter panel would be great but its a very big job on a coupe. First you'd have to get one. If not new then getting one off a donor car is a job in itself, then it'd have to be drilled out and prepared for fitting. There's strengthening ribs inside, there's double skinned joints and loads of trick areas. It's a big job!!!

There's a few good old school panel beaters up here with skills in their hands. It wouldn't take them long before it starts to look relatively straight and with a light skim of filler that would repair. I'm sure there'll be similar type old school panel lads near you if you look/ask around.

Also, is it my eyes/camera angle or is the wheel kicked out a bit too???

Comment

Sorry about your car hunker, have you took it to a body shop for quotes on repair as that would be best start as it doesn’t look too bad also your wheel looks ok considering the damage it has to quarter panel and arch have you checked your wishbones and suspension to see if there ok

Comment

Repair with a patient and good panel beater. A new quarter is a very invasive job.

Best wishes.

Comment

If you get someone to beat that out so that it's able to be skimmed to a good standard without a tonne of filler, please, please share their details with the forum.

Comment

nightmare place to get a big dent :-(

Is the wheel out of alignment as well? It looks to be toe in slightly to me but difficult to say without looking at the other side. Don't overlook damage to wishbone / subframe - bends or cracks in those parts may deposit you into a ditch at some point in the future

oooops. double post alert! Serves me right for just looking at the pictures!

Comment

If that was mine I'd be looking for a new quarter panel to be fitted.........a big job I know.

Comment

That’s a shame mate ☹️

My coupe had a filler repair on the rear quarter from previous owner. When it started to come through, I got another good quarter and we cut it in about half way up.
                You might be able to weld in just below the swage line.. The inner wing/ wheel arch will need to be beaten out, it’s a complicated repair.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                sigpic

Comment

Thanks for replies chaps. Reason why I'd want to replace quarter panel is to keep cars value intact. Not planning on selling, but newer Audi's are tempting and I can't say I will never replace it. New quarter panel is €375 delivered off Audi Tradition which isn't too bad.
                  '93 Audi UrS4 Avant LPG

Comment

Originally posted by hunker7 View Post
                    Thanks for replies chaps. Reason why I'd want to replace quarter panel is to keep cars value intact. Not planning on selling, but newer Audi's are tempting and I can't say I will never replace it. New quarter panel is €375 delivered off Audi Tradition which isn't too bad.
                    Some would argue that a new quarter panel is such a big job which disturbs so many areas it could devalue the car as much as a thin layer of filler.
                    Remember, if a PROPER panel beater gets it very close all of the original seams/joints are still intact and the filler is minimal. When i say proper panel beater i'm talking about a skilled metal man, not the modern day "equivalent".
                    Ive just watched a fella knock out a beemer rear quarter this afternoon. Not quite as bad as yours but after half an hour it was car shaped and another hour later it'd been stretched and/or shrunk smoove. He then skipped it over with paper and the feathering showed high spots and low spots were absolutely minimal.
                    Again, you need to find out if there's any proper metal lads in your area as the numbers who say they can do it to the ones who actually can will be very different. Most people in the trade nearby you will know who the genuine skilled lads are so try and ask someone who's independent.

Comment

Originally posted by hunker7 View Post

Reason why I'd want to replace quarter panel, is to keep car's value intact.
                      This comment on the above might be too brutal / harsh, so please ignore / disregard as you see fit.

Rather than fuss about this car's value when it's now been 'so' damaged in the car quarter, I'd start saving to have the funds ready for a minter of a UrS6 Avant when one comes up. It will in the next 18 months, one of the late model P reg batch of cars in the UK. They will, I've seen couple over the last three years, you just have to have the funds to hand and be able to recognise a car that is close to being a minter or with a little bit of fettling will be. Because no one, other than about five of us on here, has copped onto them, they are relatively inexpensive.

Newer Audis can be tempting, but they will have their own set of issues / costs. When you want a specific model of older cars they are never an easy proposition in terms of expense and grief.

Probably not a helpful post for you right now, but just thought I'd mention it to give you perspective to your predicament.

As has been mentioned a proper old school and old in age metal man is your best way forward with this car's damage imho.

Kind regards.

Comment

Without wanting to make you any sicker than I know you already are, could I ask how it happened and whose “fault” was it? Just wondered.
                        1996 S2 ABY Coupe silver
                        2003 S3 8L dolphin grey
                        2014 RS4 B8 prism silver

Comment

Not feeling sick oddly enough haha. 3 lane roundabout, two inner lanes were at standstill, I moved over from middle to left hand lane and a guy was creeping into left hand lane between cars and didn't see me coming and caught the rear and we know how that ended.
                          '93 Audi UrS4 Avant LPG

Comment

Just been on the phone with insurnace and asked then how they come to a value for the car. They use "glass guide" who apparently research recently sold vehicles, mileage etc etc. I am very curious of seeing what value they come back with, considering no online valuations work for any vehicles before 1998 and I've seen maybe 2-3 S4's for sale on eBay for instance in past 5 years.

Apparently they now have only 2 categories Cat F (non structural damage) and Cat N (Structural damage). Looking at damage I can't see how it can be Cat N but I am not an "engineer" so what do I know ay?

Might need to go down claim handling firm route if they're not willing to give me good aim of dosh. Should have an answer my mid next week at the latest.
                            '93 Audi UrS4 Avant LPG

Comment

My thoughts are the same as i mentioned on facebook. If it was my car it would be a whole quarter panel. All this nonsense about it's too invasive, how the hell do people think Audi built the thing. There are plenty of decent bodyshops that this job would just be run of the mill and straightforward to do. As long as you get the body shop to show how the new panel was prepared for welding to the original structure with spotwelding equipment this should satisfy even the biggest doom mongers out there.

Alternatively you could always speak to someone on here who has attempted to sell his Noggy Blue URS6 estate via a facebook contact which for some reason fell through because the buyer lost his details. This all came out on a S6 topic where i knew what car he was talking about. He might sell you his car you never know?
                              96 URS6 plus speck saloon
                              96 URS6 plus speck estate
                              94 2.6 80 Avant
                              99 2.8 final edition Cabriolet

Comment

Working...
                              X