Crank shaft oil pump seal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crank shaft oil pump seal

Alright people, just had quick search and can't find anything, does the crank seal press out and in of the oil pump housing, any tips on replacement appreciated. Cheers.

i had some oem gaskets and they ware all reinz

Comment

Mark,

Yes it does, its a bit fiddly to change and press in evenly though. Im afraid I dont have the part number though.
      Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

Do NOT try to lever it out with a screwdriver, you WILL wreck the oil pump housing.

There is a special tool out there apparently, but with care you can get it out without damaging stuff.

Mine had been butchered by a previous owner.

Comment

Originally posted by MARKMIDGE View Post
          Alright people, just had quick search and can't find anything, does the crank seal press out and in of the oil pump housing, any tips on replacement appreciated. Cheers.
          You need the proper crankshaft seal removal tool:

Info about the oil pump and the 054115147B crankshaft seal can be found here:

https://forums.quattroworld.com/s4s6/msgs/93029.phtml

Which is also an S2Forum post but "ADVANCED SEARCH" is broken, Mr. Mods!!
          RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
          94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

If I understand correctly, you mean the seal directly under the crankshaft pulley that rotates the timing belt? I have no fancy tools but it's fairly easy to change.

Drill two small diameter holes to the seal face. Be careful not to damage the crankshaft or the oil pump housing. Insert long enough screws to the holes you just drilled. Pull the seal out with suitable pliers. Then oil the new seal and press/gently hammer it in using a socket that matches the seal face. Done.

That's at least how I did it nearly two years ago and has been fine ever since

Comment

I heard that that A4 diesel is the same seal they will try sell you the whole housing for the S2 and tell you the seal is NLA

Comment

I bought my seal from a dedicated seal place, it is a standard size.

In fact it is listed over on OEMEPC as 35X48X10 :

http://www.oemepc.com/audi/part_sing...8/lang/e#sec_2

In case there's any confusion, that is 35mm inner diameter, 48 outer, and 10mm deep.

This is just the first result from ebay, suggest you find a decent local supplier and buy some over the counter:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Seals-35x...-/272539086912

Comment

Thanks for replies, bought the seal (Elring) from Autodoc a while ago with load of other bits. I took the back plate off, removed the gears a tapped the old seal out from behind with a big screwdriver and hammer, only hitting the seal and not the casing. Pressed in the the new seal very gently in a press with a large socket with no trouble at all, refitted pump with new gasket and on to the next job.

Comment

Working...
                  X