Locked keys in car...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Locked keys in car...

Yesterday my alarm/central locking on my 80 had a wobble and locked itself with the keys in the ignition.
    unfortunately my spares are in the boot. I managed to fish the keys out of the ignition but dropped them into the cap between the seat and sill. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get in without putting a window in.

Yes!
    Get some very stiff plastic packing tape. Form a loop and flatten the end of the loop. Push the loop into the gap between the door opening around the position of the lock button but slightly above. Work the loop back and forth until you are just above the button. Now push one end of the tape to open the loop. Now wiggle down over the button. When right over the button, pull back tight to grip, then up to unlock.
    Takes practice but you will soon get the hang of it.
    Nothelle S2 Avant
    Black Ur project
    Ocianic Ur project gone
    S2 Coupe project gone
    Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

By button do you mean door pin? Is so they are smooth and unable to hook into it..

Comment

I think I'm with you.. pull it back to create friction against the pin?

Comment

The door pin is recessed into the door card when locked too isn't?

Comment

Not on the saloons like on the coupe.. it sticks up like a very cold nipple

Comment

I didn't know that.

Comment

Originally posted by Monkeymagic View Post
                By button do you mean door pin? Is so they are smooth and unable to hook into it..
                Yes, the door pin. It has a rough surface to allow you to grip it. It works. Trust me.
                The only car that it wont work with is a car with dead locks.
                Nothelle S2 Avant
                Black Ur project
                Ocianic Ur project gone
                S2 Coupe project gone
                Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Thank you I don't think a 92 Audi will have deadlocks . I'll let you know..

Comment

Originally posted by Monkeymagic View Post
                    Thank you I don't think a 92 Audi will have deadlocks . I'll let you know..
                    Mine hasn't and its a 94. I think the deadlocks came on the A4.

There is another method using a tennis ball cut in half placed over the key hole to create a vacuum but I never managed to get that to work. The tape method is reliable once you get the hang of it.
                    Nothelle S2 Avant
                    Black Ur project
                    Ocianic Ur project gone
                    S2 Coupe project gone
                    Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Good call. I used my metal coat hanger that I had been using to fish the keys from the barrel. Just took me less than a minute and the door opened

Comment

Well done.
                        Get some packing tape just in case it happens again. Less likely to scratch anything!
                        Nothelle S2 Avant
                        Black Ur project
                        Ocianic Ur project gone
                        S2 Coupe project gone
                        Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

I have just purchased a 15 piece kit from eBay.. it's not my first time and I doubt it will be the last..

Comment

Handy for getting a gap opened up for fishing keys...…… https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Winbag-Ai...62add0c4554a53

Comment

Bought a kit with an airbag in.. will no doubt be useful in future .

Comment

Working...
                              X