Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sell my S2 and buy an B7 RS4 - Thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sell my S2 and buy an B7 RS4 - Thoughts?

Morning Chaps,

I have recently been getting itchy feet. Has anyone gone from an S2 to a B7 RS4 Avant? I am thinking about possible alternatives to my S2, which I have owned for nearly 15 years.

CurrentlyI have a 2008 Saab 1.9ti Estate that is knackered and I need to move it on. I will need another estate car for family duties and thought I could kill two birds with one stone with an RS4.

I am also hoping that I can get in some depreciation free motoring as the other alternatives to a fast(ish) petrol estate type cars that are relatively new (budget £15k) will no doubt lose me a chunk in depreciation.

Am I mad to consider selling my S2?

Has anyone else has made this type of change and did you regret it...?

Cheers,

Steve
    The Perfectionist
    sigpic
    Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/xhCjFU2XpfUtPTTz5
    The Perfectionist
    sigpic
    Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

I looked at the B7 RS4 before buying the B8.5 S4. Great motor and you shouldn't lose much with depreciation. There are a lot of tired ones out there though. Usual checks for clutch replacement and oil cooler pipes are recommended and any previous damage/claims. If you can find one with nice spec, I'm sure you would be happy. Most have coilovers and aftermarket exhausts fitted. Low mileage examples are 17-20K.
      91 Modded 3B
      14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

It’s powerful but you need to rev the nuts off it.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
        sigpic

Comment

I have just been reading a review on them in the July issue of Modern Classics. May be worth a read. I would love one as well as the S2 but I don't think I would sell the S2 to get one.

Comment

There is a very small chance I could keep the S2 AND go RS4 but realistically, the only way I will sell this to my wife is by choosing one or the other...
            The Perfectionist
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jeffstoo View Post
              I have just been reading a review on them in the July issue of Modern Classics. May be worth a read. I would love one as well as the S2 but I don't think I would sell the S2 to get one.
              Thanks, I will go and take a look...
              The Perfectionist
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SteveH View Post
                I looked at the B7 RS4 before buying the B8.5 S4. Great motor and you shouldn't lose much with depreciation. There are a lot of tired ones out there though. Usual checks for clutch replacement and oil cooler pipes are recommended and any previous damage/claims. If you can find one with nice spec, I'm sure you would be happy. Most have coilovers and aftermarket exhausts fitted. Low mileage examples are 17-20K.
                Cheers Steve. You are quite right, my research as given me similar information. The biggest upside is zero depreciation compared to dropping £15k on a "standard" Audi which will be worth £5k in 5 years time...
                The Perfectionist
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Audi 80 View Post

Cheers Steve. You are quite right, my research as given me similar information. The biggest upside is zero depreciation compared to dropping £15k on a "standard" Audi which will be worth £5k in 5 years time...
                  Factor in the fuel costs and they'll probably be the same cost over 5 years!! You wont get more than 15mpg around town and mid twenties on a run. I struggle to get 30mpg from the S4 on the motorway and low teens around town.
                  91 Modded 3B
                  14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

With having my car up for sale the only cars that seem to get my interest to replace the S2 are the B8 S4 Avant and the B7 RS4. I have always liked the look of the B8 S4 Avants and they are a bit more modern but i have never had an RS Audi or a V8 and i really love the look of the B7 RS4. The advantage i have is i don't do a lot of mileage so running costs aren't a massive factor and if i can afford to run the S2 currently i can afford to run both the RS4 or the S4. Going to be a tough decision once the S2 finally sells!

Comment

Originally posted by SteveH View Post

Factor in the fuel costs and they'll probably be the same cost over 5 years!! You wont get more than 15mpg around town and mid twenties on a run. I struggle to get 30mpg from the S4 on the motorway and low teens around town.
                      Exactly. My spreadsheet says a standard Audi worth £15k now and an RS4 over 5 years the cost is the same if you include fuel and the depreciation (or not in the case of the RS4), so why not have the fun one?!
                      The Perfectionist
                      sigpic

Comment

The B5 is much more fun to drive IMHO, if you can find a decent one. On the other hand the B7 handles better.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

I’ve actually been thinking of selling both S2s and the B5 and buying a 4 litre RS6

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Audi 80
                            There is a very small chance I could keep the S2 AND go RS4 but realistically, the only way I will sell this to my wife is by choosing one or the other...
                            The S2 will only go up in value now so might as well keep it as an investment

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

or keep the S2 and do as I did: buy a daily that is more fitting for your age something comfortable and relaxing like an A6 4.2

Comment

Working...
                              X