Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Audi 80 cab red dash light with car symbol and key

Hello can anyone help
    My 1996 audi cabriolet won't start today, comes up with a red light symbol of car and key,
    I used to have a key with no chip in (I got it cut as a spare not realising they had chips in) anyway when I used to try and use that it would start the engine for 2 seconds then it would cut out, the original key with the chip that has always worked for the last 10 years does nothing, it won't even start the engine for that initial 2 seconds the light just comes up with the car and key symbol

Can anyone help

Thanks

There’s a pickup coil on the back of the ignition lock. This is plugged into the loom to the immob unit with a flat two pin plug which can corrode. Unplug and clean this, it might fix your problem.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
    sigpic

Comment

I was trying to look at the wires on the back of the ignition earlier,
      I could see a separate black cable going to the coil reader (is that same as pick up coil) It didn't look like it was easy to unplug no obvious plug connector

My car has been in my garage for months (I do start it up every now and then) I noticed mould on the leather so I cleaned it off do you think it must be damp in there and cld of caused them wires to corrode?

Thanks for your help

Comment

I think I'm looking at the wrong end of the cable arnt I

If I follow that cable away from the ignition I will find the plug your talking about yeah?

Comment

Originally posted by purplev6 View Post
          I think I'm looking at the wrong end of the cable arnt I

If I follow that cable away from the ignition I will find the plug your talking about yeah?
          Yes, follow the cable away from the ignition barrel

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
          sigpic

Comment

Working...
          X