No announcement yet.

3D printing parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think what you printed there is pretty good as it is in terms of functionality..
    What about printing a floor in the rear storage pocket area that has the edges radiused so that it makes it easier to retrieve very small objects.
    I hope you understand what I mean.

Comment

Originally posted by andyg plym View Post
      How many orders would you need to do the front gear linkage bushes?
      Hey Andy,

I can do small no.s or one-offs if the modelling isn't horrendous but as I have never played with the shifter linkages on my car, all I have to go on is the 7zap picture and I don't know which bush you mean.

I can model up and print dimensionally accurate objects, but to do that I either need to have the object in my hands or an accurate diagram with all measurements.

Assuming the bush is not subjected to heavy forces, if you can send me details, I can model it up and test print it in PLA-Carbon or PETG-Carbon so that you can see if it fits, but I assume that the final print should be in a better material, Nylon maybe - which I plan to buy in the coming weeks to have a play with. I don't plan to play with Delrin yet as it can give off formaldehyde fumes and my printer is in my office.

If it is a bush that takes a beating then I would go to a local back street machine shop and get it CNC'd in Delrin etc.

Cheers n beers
      Si

95 ABY S2 Coupe - Ragusa Green
      Subtle mods here and there

2011 A5 3.0 TDi - Lava Grey
      With every option available (except a towball)

Comment

Originally posted by Nuvo View Post
        I think what you printed there is pretty good as it is in terms of functionality..
        What about printing a floor in the rear storage pocket area that has the edges radiused so that it makes it easier to retrieve very small objects.
        I hope you understand what I mean.
        Thanks (smilie face here if it was working)

Yup, I think I understand what you mean and have modelled it below.

RearSpacer_v7 (tray).PNG

My only concern here is that I have been printing all the parts upside down as that means the top surface of the part is touching the glass bed and so generates the best surface finish. To do that for this piece means that the diagonal will be printed as a an overhang, so I have played with the slicer settings until the preview shows that it never prints in free air so I will run a test

Cheers n Beers
        Si

Comment

Hi, I’m interested to see that you have done designs for the headlight washer nozzles. If you are successful in producing some you can certainly count me as a customer. Keep us updated please.

Comment

Originally posted by ljh61 View Post
            Hi, I’m interested to see that you have done designs for the headlight washer nozzles. If you are successful in producing some you can certainly count me as a customer. Keep us updated please.
            The washer jets are an interesting one as I have no idea what is going on inside, such as how/where they restrict the water path to generate the pressure, so I have just guessed.

Also, for the first design, I did not angle the jets to the side or up, so once I am happy that the external dimensions work and the jets spray a nice pattern, then I will look at the direction of spray.

Below is the first test print beside an OEM jet
            1st Comparison.jpg

I am also thinking about whether to change the connector barb for a groove with an o-ring

Cheers n beers
            Si

P.S. are any admins working on fixes for the image and emoji issues on here or has everyone moved over to using Facebook (shudders as he types that word and thinks to himself "God I loath that app - the world would be a nicer place if it had never been invented!!")

Comment

Hi Si,
              your modelling of my above suggestion is spot on. I do like the flexibility of your modular design, it also makes it possible lift out the storage pocket to quickly retrieve something if required for times when that sticky Tic Tac refuses to budge.

I've attached a pic I found on the web which I believe shows and early B5 A4 cup holder installed in a B3 coupe for you consideration.
              I thought this might be of interest to you as example of what a single piece design has to offer.

edit: It seems the image attach is broken. I'll upload to another host later.

Comment

I've attached a pic I found on the web which I believe shows and early B5 A4 cup holder installed in a B3 coupe for you consideration.
                I thought this might be of interest to you as example of what a single piece design has to offer.

edit: It seems the image attach is broken. I'll upload to another host later.
                I know, trying to post images is a bit hit and miss at the moment, no wonder the children had bu66ered off to FaceAche!!

I look forward to seeing the B5 solution when you can post the pic.

In the meantime, here is your suggested storage pocket in the flesh, along with the wired USB ports at the front....

New pocket (crop).jpg

I have already increased the size of the rounded corners in the CAD file, particularly for the bottom one but it works even with the radius I used for the first test.

RearSpacer_v7a (tray).jpg

If the 4 parts remain separate, then maybe they need retaining lugs to keep them in place (Scratch head emoji here)

Cheers n (Beers emoji here)
                Last edited by HPmuirt; 25 June 2020, 20:09. Reason: AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH the image control on this site is killing me!!!!!!!

Comment

I’m impressed with your washer jet result.
                  The jets are completely missing on my CQ 20v. I had imagined that the nozzles were adjustable for direction like the windscreen washers are but it doesn’t seem to be the case. That would make things really complicated.
                  Not sure why you would change the connection to a groove and O ring. Do you think it would make the tube easier to fit?
                  Regards

Comment

Originally posted by ljh61 View Post
                    I’m impressed with your washer jet result.
                    The jets are completely missing on my CQ 20v. I had imagined that the nozzles were adjustable for direction like the windscreen washers are but it doesn’t seem to be the case. That would make things really complicated.
                    Not sure why you would change the connection to a groove and O ring. Do you think it would make the tube easier to fit?
                    Regards
                    Thanks for the compliment. I always assumed that the nozzles were balls which could therefore swivel but as you say, they are most definitely fixed.

The reason for considering the groove and O-ring is that I cannot get the OEM unit out of one side but the other side has popped out and been lost. Knowing that 3D printed parts are not as strong as IM, particularly in the direction of the layers, I didn't want something that would snap in situ leaving the lower portion in place and making it hard to remove. This first test version I actually printed laying down so it is much stronger but with the downside that the back is a little messy from the support material.

Below are the spray patterns of the OEM vs my first attempt: -
                    oem_spray_crop.jpg v1_spray_crop.jpg

The pictures were taken from different angles, but I think the direction and elevation is spot on, but maybe I need to generate more spray and less of a jet, but first I need to try and get to my car and test fit to check the outer dimensions, unless someone can lend me a nozzle body?

Cheers n (beers emoji here)
                    Si

Comment

Maybe this will help

Comment

Your test print looks good indeed.
                        I had a trawl on the web and found a better pic of the A4 B5 cupholder image I had. This isn't a drop in replacement in the B3/B4 cars as it isn't long enough although the width and depth appears to be the same.
                        1dcd35cb48fc91074bd060376d7a.jpg

I also found these accesories for the B9 cupholders on the thingiverse web site. Maybe this is of some interest to you for some ideas.
                        https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3398707

Comment

Interesting thread , i'm fixing this up at the moment
                          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                          This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Originally posted by DeS View Post
                            Maybe this will help
                            Interesting video, thanks (thumbs up emoji here)

The video shows a very similar spray pattern to my pic but in the video it almost looks like it is moving in waves, but there is nothing in the OEM jet that suggests it can cause that to happen. I am going to modify my jet design and reprint to try and get more spray

Si

Comment

Your test print looks good indeed.
                              I had a trawl on the web and found a better pic of the A4 B5 cupholder image I had. This isn't a drop in replacement in the B3/B4 cars as it isn't long enough although the width and depth appears to be the same.
                              Interesting. Would be good to see how they fitted it to the B3/B4 centre console.

I have seen the B9 cupholders and considered them for my B8 and my Dad's B9 but I decided that they were a bit limited and so stuck with the removable cup-shaped ashtrays for coins, which I move to the drivers door pocket when I have drinks.

Si

Comment

hello, we are building parts from ABS.
                                our website is online.
                                If there are no shipping options in some countries, please report.

Comment

Working...
                                X