No announcement yet.

3D printing parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great idea. Another one to consider is the little gears for the odometer that always break too
    Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

Originally posted by Greg_S View Post
      Great idea. Another one to consider is the little gears for the odometer that always break too
      Almost certainly doable.

I recently printed a speedo repair brace for a VW camper as the spring tension deforms the old plastic mounts and allows the cogs to move away from the worm drive. I also printed a couple of replacements cogs as a test and they came out quite well but I used PLA. Again, I suspect Nylon rather than CF reinforced plastics would be more suitable as the CF is abrasive so I really need to get on and order some Nylon.

Are there any material scientists on the forum who could advise on a per part basis?

Cheers n
      Si
      95 ABY S2 Coupe - Ragusa Green
      Subtle mods here and there

2011 A5 3.0 TDi - Lava Grey
      With every option available (except a towball)

Comment

I have a centre gauge holder that looks similar to the picture you posted if you want to copy it?

Comment

for material advice i'd have a chat to Error404
          Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

Too big a file for the picture. Make it smaller ie fewer kB
            1996 S2 ABY Coupe silver
            2003 S3 8L dolphin grey
            2014 RS4 B8 prism silver

Comment

Originally posted by HPmuirt View Post
              P.S. Why do I get the following error when trying to add an image to a new post....

"Upload failed due to failure writing temporary file."

Cheers n tears
              Si
              1996 S2 ABY Coupe silver
              2003 S3 8L dolphin grey
              2014 RS4 B8 prism silver

Comment

Originally posted by sal_s2 View Post
                I have a centre gauge holder that looks similar to the picture you posted if you want to copy it?
                Thanks Sal

The one above was drawn by me without reference to much so I guessed at the size of the slots vs material around and used an old cheap boost gauge to estimate the size and depth of the gauge and bezel holes etc. so once I get some more raw materials I might well pm you for a look at yours.

Cheers n
                Si

Comment

Originally posted by 4WDrifter View Post

Tried jpg, png and bmp all less than 100Kb (which is way smaller than the images I posted earlier in this thread and still no joy. I have also tried on other threads and starting a new thread in case it was an issue with this specific thread bust still the error message....I guess it is payback for abandoning the forum for so long

Greg/David/Andy ?

Tears 4 fears
                  Si

Comment

Greetings,

I have had lots of messages asking me to make fairly functional parts but until I get a wider range of materials, with Nylon being one I am looking at, I want to stick to parts which are not subjected to any forces or are critical in any way. All suggestions are welcome but let's keep them on the thread rather than PMs so that the design and material can be discussed and others with printers may already have a design.

Quick update on my designs....

I now have a bit more filament, plus some PLA with carbon fibre and PET-G with carbon fibre to test and finally the USB sockets arrived so I have been making changes to the design of the front and rear spacers for the cup holders to incorporate the legs of the USB ports - pics to follow

I therefore now have a spare set of 2 sides plus a blank front spacer (without the USB ports) as shown in pic 3 in the first post of this thread, which I would be happy to sell for someone to review.

BUT, before I start selling these, I spotted some 3D printed ones on eBay in Germany and Lithuania so I wanted to make sure that I was not treading on the toes of a forum member with these. If either of these ebayer sellers are forum contributors then I will not offer to supply the forum as I was going to charge around £20 for the 2 sides....so please let me know either way.

That said, if anyone wants the "2nd hand but never actually fitted" ones inc. the blank spacer in pic 3 for £15 plus postage please let me know as I am keen to get some feedback as to how they perform being just held with velcro as per the OEM design, as my S2 is not currently being driven.

I have also been playing with the design of the rear spacer as if you don't want to cut out the pre-prepared area for a 12V socket and don't need more USB ports then would it be better to leave it as a small triangular tray? (see pic below)

image_78493.png

Also, whilst the 4 pieces shown above are designed and printed as 4 separate pieces, if you always wanted the spacers, then would it be better to print them as one solid piece so that they cannot move in relation to each other or is the flexibility to change the combination more important, in which case should I include locking pieces in the design?

My next design is the front headlight washer jets (part no. 893 807 185). Below is my first design which I will print in the next few days and see how far out I am. I have designed it with two different connectors as it needs to be snug but not so tight it breaks....

Jet_v1-Sphere.PNG Jet_v1-Cone.PNG

Cheers n beers
                    Si
                    Last edited by HPmuirt; 23 June 2020, 10:56. Reason: Images keen disappearing - This forum is very broken (sad face here if emojis worked)

Comment

What sort of printer are you using? I haven't done any functional car parts yet (although I use my 3d printed walnut blasting port adapter for FSI engines regularly). Just upgraded my hotend to print carbon filaments, they aren't really that much stronger but tend to have a very nice matte finish. I'll be printing all sorts of brackets and interior upgrades I'm sure, also blank distributor caps since I run coil on plug on my 3b.

Also forgive me, as I'm from the land of no RS2s, but what makes the RS2 air box more desirable/different from an S2 box?

Comment

I am using a cheap and cheerful Creality Ender 3 Pro but it is turning out prints which are as good as the Ultimakers at work which are over 10x the cost. The prints were OK straight from the box but with some careful fettling and the printing of some upgrades it is really stable now, with only the occasional bed adhesion issues which a good wash with soap then IPA usually addresses as I am using a glass bed.

The only purchased upgrades are the feeder and Capricorn bowden tube, stepper dampers plus an A2 hardened steel nozzle for the high abrasive filaments such as the CF ones. I have only just started with PLA-CF and as you said, the strength improvement is disappointing but I like the matte finish so I will probably stick with it. I also have some PET-G with CF so that is next one to try and then I want to try Nylon for low stress bushings etc. I also have some TPU.

On the RS2 airbox question, I will start with my faded recollection and then wait for an expert to correct me as it is over 8 years since I upgraded. From memory, they are identical in external dimensions except that the RS2 version has a larger intake port. Internally the RS2 version has the same air filter but it is positioned to allow more air pressure before and less after it and thus higher air flow. This has been measured - I cannot remember the difference it made but Porsche seemed to think it was worth the effort so I am not going to argue with them.

Cheers n beers
                        Si
                        Last edited by HPmuirt; 23 June 2020, 14:26. Reason: spelling

Comment

I've got a fairly modified ender 3 as well, running a BMG extruder, e3dv6 hotend, SKR 1.3 board, and petsfang ducting. Plus all the printed upgrades... I've been contemplating building a Voron though, that might have a large enough build area to do something like an airbox. Might have to do two parts, but I think it's 350mm square build volume. Seems like it could be a nice part to reproduce, I imagine it would be hard to get my hands on one to model it though.

Comment

The BMG is on my list and I have printed the petsfang but not yet fitted it as the machine is in such a sweet spot I am loathed to mess with it right now, so that will be fitted when I next do some work on it. I am also a big fan of the Voron 2 as an upgrade over the Ender 3 Pro but at this stage I am still learning so that is probably a while away yet.

My concern with printing the RS2 airbox is the fact that it sits above the turbo. I know the OEM part is also made from thermoplastic, but being moulded I would assume that it will have fewer inherent weaknesses when hot compared to a 3D printed item. Also, both halves are huge parts to print so if you then have to break the halves down into pieces then you will need to create so clever and strong mechanical joints which can then be glued for extra strength. Good luck finding one in the US to copy!

Cheers n beers
                            Si

Comment

Another update...

I have finally wired in the USB ports in the front spacer so now I can refit the console back in my car.

I also printed the rear spacer as a little pocket but in this combo it might be better to print all 4 as a single unit a remove the rear sides behind the second can and so increase the size of the rear storage pocket however that removes the flexibility. Any thoughts on this or what else could be printed?

Cheers n beers
                              Si

v6 USB fitted - cans.PNG

Comment

How many orders would you need to do the front gear linkage bushes?

Comment

Working...
                                X