Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3D printing parts

Hey everybody-peeps,

Whilst I have not been on the forum for a wee while, one of the things that I have been doing recently is merging my new found hobby of 3D printing with this long-standing addiction to everything quattro.

After a quick search on the forum, I notice that the most common 3D printing request is for the RS2 airbox. Now I have a 3D printer AND I have an RS2 airbox and before you ask - NOOOOOOOO I am not going to even try because: -
    • What temperature range does it need to stand up to?
    • What stresses does it need to withstand (turbo air pressure, RAM air pressure etc.)?
    • It is way bigger than my printer bed
    • It would take an age to design and another age to print
    • I already have one
    But, there are many other things that are easier to design and print and my current list for the S2 includes: -
    • 12v power adapter for centre console
    • cup holders for centre console
    • USB ports
    • Merge the 3 above to have 2 cup holders, 2 USB ports and a 12V cigarette socket
    • Boost gauge holders
    • Key chains
    • trim pieces
    • Modifications to instrument cluster
    • various clips and little bits n bobs
    Some examples: -

1. Cup holders, USB and 12V CAD ....2. Printed cup holders and USB front spacer .......3. in situ (blank front spacer):
    Cup Holder CAD.PNG Cup Holders (printed).jpg Cup Holders (in situ) sml.jpg
    The CAD drawing shows the design as 4 sections rather than as a single unit. That way I can print just the 2 cup holders, then add the front spacer as either a plain piece or with the USB cutouts and then add the rear panel as either a plain panel, with 2 USB ports or a 12V socket. Those of you who have taken the rear console off will know that there is a cut out in the rear slope for a 12V socket and Audi actually made a separate panel for this (see below).

The middle picture shows that I had added recesses on the cup holders for velcro to keep the holders in place when empty but that is also why the front spacer is useful.

4. 12V panel (OEM) ...................5. 12V panel (CAD) ..........6. OEM panel in situ
    12V console panel (orig) crop.jpg 12V console panel CAD.PNG 12V console panel in situ-crop.jpg

As you can see, the 12V socket in the OEM panel is offset, which is why I have centred it when combined with the cup holders. As you know, the felt (removed in the pic above) is perforated to allow it to be cut down when using this panel, but even though I have a spare OEM felt, I would not want to cut it so my cup holder version will be re-modeled to allow room for it to be folded inside out of the way.

Those of you who remember my car know that I am running the extended rear centre console with the extra storage area or arm rest mount, so here is a pic of that with the cup holders.
    US Console with cup holders.jpg

It is worth mentioning that the centre console is damn narrow in the B4 and to make matters worse has sloping sides, so the very largest thing that fits is a 330ml drinks can, which is a snug fit at the bottom. This is why both the OEM holders and my 3D printed version have the arched cut outs.

7. Boost gauge holder ..........8. Test print for size
    Boost Gauge Holder CAD.PNG gauge holder - test print1-crop.jpg

Still working on this design the the test print is a rough one only for testing dimensions and how well it fits in the centre vents.

I will not bore you with my other designs yet but would be interested to know who else is 3D printing stuff for their car and if so what. So far this has been in PLA but I am now going to try both carbon fibre reinforced PLA and also carbon fibre reinforced PETG.

Any thoughts, comments or reasons to be cheerful (pt3) from anyone who made it to the end?

Cheers n
    Si
    Last edited by HPmuirt; 13 May 2020, 18:44. Reason: I see the forum still has the bug that refuses to allow multiple spaces in text and only allows the resizing of one picture per post!!!
    95 ABY S2 Coupe - Ragusa Green
    Subtle mods here and there

2011 A5 3.0 TDi - Lava Grey
    With every option available (except a towball)

Hows it going! This is looking seriously cool...will watch with interest
    sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Subscribed!

Comment

3D printer is high on my wishlist, I'll have to make some room for it in the shed first.
        and making Audi NLA parts is one of the reasons I want one

we could make a library of designs for S2 parts?

Comment

Good work , I too will be keeping a eye on this.

Comment

Subscribed. Great idea, I was actually just talking about the need to 3d print parts that are going NLA with a friend last week.

Including USB outlets in the cup holders is a brilliant idea.
            Find me on Instagram @pry4sno
            2010 Golf Sportwagen TDI /// #farmenwagen
            2002 Dodge Ram 2500 24v Cummins 4x4
            1992 80q 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled
            1990 Cq /// Project: Because Racecar

Comment

Front gear linkage bushes!

Comment

I really need 10 of the Rs2 Bodystyling Sill big round turning clip retainers that are about 4cm in width. Are these NLA, or what would it cost to make some up buddy?

Comment

Originally posted by UUUdirs2newcastle View Post
                  I really need 10 of the Rs2 Bodystyling Sill big round turning clip retainers that are about 4cm in width. Are these NLA, or what would it cost to make some up buddy?
                  Not sure what those are or look like but if they are under tension or structural, then having them machined in Nylon at a local machine shop might be better than 3D printing as orientation of the layers is key - the parts are far weaker under tension in the layer direction than moulded/machined parts. I tried making a boot clip for the S2 but printed it in the wrong orientation and it lasted 2 minutes That said, I made a luggage strap for the A5 and that is working very well.

3D printing is great for parts under moderate compression or tension when perpendicular to the printing plane, but it is not always possible to print in the desired plane without significant support material which reduces surface quality.

In terms of costs, printing is slow and so is the time to draw up the part, so the time investment in designing and printing often costs far more than the materials and electricity to produce the part, especially with multiple prototypes. 3D filament costs starts at £20 (for cheap PLA) and goes up to over £150 per Kg for some carbon fibre reinforced Nylons and other exotic materials. That means to make it worth someone's while from a business point of view, they would either want to charge you the design time plus print time & materials, or sell many copies and charge less to still make a fair profit.

I am not trying to start a business here and so would be wary of making anything functional at this stage. It might take me as a novice who is still converting from CAD [cardboard aided design] to CAD [computer aided design] hours (with an example in hand) or days (without) to draw up and test print something that I then cannot test fit, only to find that I measured in inches and printed in microns and printed on its side so it fell apart

I am still playing with the various materials available so at this stage, I am making non-structural parts, mainly from PLA and TPU, with carbon reinforced PLA and PETG coming soon and then I will start looking at the various Nylons, which is probably what we need for functional parts for our cars.

Basically, the possibilities are endless but my knowledge is not so we need to get there slowly and with many cleverer peoples than lil-ole me . If only Donald Trump and his "great and unmatched wisdom" was a member of our forum

That said, keep the ideas coming in and between us I and sure we will find a couple of winners

Cheers n
                  Si

Comment

Originally posted by s2driveruk View Post
                    Hows it going! This is looking seriously cool...will watch with interest
                    Hey David, well I'm still alive thanks (that has been my standard answer since I hit middle age, but it seems to be in poor taste in the current climate so please no one take offense ). How's life with you?

Not sure about the cool side as I have not seen many empty filament spools mixed in with the cigarette ends and condoms at the local park where the cool kids hang out, but is is great fun and damn rewarding watching your idea grow on the build plate.....I know, I'm a sad geek

Tried to post some more designs but nowt will upload tonight

Cheers n
                    Si

Comment

Would it be possible to print out hose bracket (035 121 093H). It is the one which is mounted in the subframe and holds hose between main radiator and water coolant reservoir.

Comment

I've printed a few different things. A centre vent flap, tail light cover screw clip things and like you centre console parts. It's great and handy for all the little things that break and you can never find replacements.

Comment

Originally posted by filip.krticka View Post
                          Would it be possible to print out hose bracket (035 121 093H). It is the one which is mounted in the subframe and holds hose between main radiator and water coolant reservoir.
                          Again that is a functional part, so we need to understand the forces. My guess is that it will be under stresses in 2 directions, one end being squeezed by the chassis and the other being stretched by the hose.

However, with this one I think I could print it, but probably not in PLA (which is all I have left at the moment and supplies are current very short with prices more than doubling ) so we need to work out which material to use as I am not a materials scientist.

I have been exploring carbon fibre reinforced materials which are much stronger but are more brittle than the non-reinforced version and this feels like it needs more flex, not less so maybe Nylon?

Summary: This is certainly something to add to the worth a try list when materials start shipping again but I would need to see one to copy.

Cheers n
                          Si
                          Last edited by HPmuirt; 17 May 2020, 00:28.

Comment

P.S. Why do I get the following error when trying to add an image to a new post....

"Upload failed due to failure writing temporary file."

Cheers n tears
                            Si

Comment

Tapatalk is the easy way to upload pics from your phone
                              Nothelle S2 Avant
                              Black Ur project
                              Ocianic Ur project gone
                              S2 Coupe project gone
                              Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Working...
                              X