Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wanted. Electrical genius.. Help with a V10 TDI Phaeton please...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wanted. Electrical genius.. Help with a V10 TDI Phaeton please...

Chaps. Is anyone in the Worcestershire area a wizz with vehicle electrics.
    I have taken delivery of an non starting VW Phaeton V10 tdi.
    In short the car is an 05 plate with a genuine 59k on the clock.
    The previous owner used it very infrequently covering about 1k between Mots. However he left it standing in his dry garage for a while and it wouldbt start so it stood doing nowt for ages.
    I learned about the car so bought it cheap and had it recovered to my house.
    Having read up I purchased 2 varta agm batteries and rigged them up in the correct sequence.
    I got all electrics working but when I go to ignition the dash asks me to press the brake pedal. But on ignition there is nothing. If the lights are on they go off with ignition, suggesting the x relief relay is working.
    If I rig the jump cables up under the bonnet she turns over. But will not start.
    I've plugged VCDS in and got multiple codes as expected. However the common one is 01314 no comms with ecu.

​​​Most modules in car eg gearbox instruments etc say no comms with engine control 01314 also.

I suspect this lack of comms is preventing the engine from starting/ cranking.

Part of me just thought I'd scrap it/sell it spares or repairs.

However the stubborn side of me wants to figure out what's wrong. I'd love to get it motd.. And have a go..

So far I've checked all fuses. They are intact. I've got good 12.6 volts on both batteries.
    I've managed to get both engine ecus out (one for each bank) and pins etc look fine.

I've checked the kessy in footwell, this seems to be fine. Eg no water or corrosion.

In shirt I'm fine with oily bits of cars but electrics just confuse me most of the time. Especially on this thing.

Is there anyone local to me who would be prepared to lend a helping hand with the electrics?
    I've got a few self study packs but if I'm honest it means little to me.

Brake pedal switch?? (Newbie stab in the dark) Sounds more fundamental than that though!

Good luck!
    The Perfectionist
    sigpic
    Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

Brake lights are coming on. However I bet there 4 wires to the switch. 2 for brake light circuit and 2 for ecu. I'll try bridging them..

Comment

Quite a lot of info on the VW vortex.com site. Might be worth spending an evening reading up on issues other owners have had. My 10p worth - if it's been left for a while with a flat battery, the keys need 're coding with the car?
        Nothelle S2 Avant
        Black Ur project
        Ocianic Ur project gone
        S2 Coupe project gone
        Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

I'm in Worcestershire and happy to help, PM me if interested.

Comment

Is it CAN or not? That age was around the crossover. If it’s CAN, I’d try some CAN sniffing software and see if you can see which module(s) are not transmitting data and go from there.
            Have you checked for rodent or moisture damage? Most common causes of issues during/after storage
            Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
            Indigo ABY coupé
            Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

It is Can, there are a number of faults for Can.. But most of these appear to be due to missing the engine ecu. I was wondering if it was rodents although can't see anything.
              However everything comes on she just doesn't crank.
              I was wondering if it was the pyrotechnic fuse on the starter loom.?
              Tbh I was considering splitting the car for parts but seems a shame.
              Johne I'm in Redditch so don't want to put people out. Just need someone with a greater understanding than I..

Comment

Tractor Dave. I have read loads. Lots of people have issues with the kessy system although on ignition the system tells me it recognises the key and allows me to remove it and select gears etc.
                My understanding is if kessy is goosed it won't aloow me to do any of this. I've physically checked it and connections and it's all fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Monkeymagic View Post
                  Tractor Dave. I have read loads. Lots of people have issues with the kessy system although on ignition the system tells me it recognises the key and allows me to remove it and select gears etc.
                  My understanding is if kessy is goosed it won't aloow me to do any of this. I've physically checked it and connections and it's all fine.
                  Well good luck with her then. It would be a shame to break, sounds quite nice
                  Nothelle S2 Avant
                  Black Ur project
                  Ocianic Ur project gone
                  S2 Coupe project gone
                  Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Yes it's not bad Dave

Sent from my MRD-LX1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Johne I have sent you a pm mate. Cheers Steven

Comment

Right I'm getting some strange goings on from this car.
                        She uses 2 ecus one for each bank, it seems edc16 can only support 6 injectors per ecu hence the 2 controllers.
                        Both ecus use the same part number.
                        With the ecu in the original configuration I can't get any comms with engine 01..
                        I can see engine 11 and it gives a fault for canbus but measuring blocks are greyed out.

If I swap the controllers round I can fault code read engine 01 but it's says no faults or not supported by controller but can't see measuring blocks.
                        I can read engine 11 and see fault for canbus and can read measuring blocks.

Comment

Do these ECUs have backup batteries inside, maybe one or both have gone bad. I can’t imagine the two ECUs would be swappable as they’ll have different software to do cylinders at different timings.
                          If you need to replace backup batteries you may need to reload firmware or do a full reset somehow. On my RS4, if the battery has gone flat or been disconnected I have to do a full open and full closure to reset the central locking. My experience with the immob is the the engine will crank, start and immediately die, but of course the B5 is a manual..
                          I guess there’s an ECU for the tranny too, any codes there?

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                          sigpic

Comment

Both ecus have the same part number and coding. I'm not sure whether there is any back up batteries within the ecu..
                            There is a fault within the auto box saying can bus signal missing. I'm having a closer look at the brake light switch now.
                            What is interesting is the switch over relay in the boot has sprung to life. And on ignition the throttle bodies are buzzing away, they weren't previously.
                            I'm guessing but the missing signal from auto could be the reason the starter won't turn.
                            I've got all the info re fuses and relays and a self study package for the vehicle on board power but it means nowt to me.
                            I'm OK with things I can visualize..electrics confuse me, especially on this thing..

Comment

We are all watching with interest
                              Nothelle S2 Avant
                              Black Ur project
                              Ocianic Ur project gone
                              S2 Coupe project gone
                              Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Working...
                              X