Bonnet release cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bonnet release cable

How to fit a bonnet release cable to a B3 Quattro. What I mean is how do you see what your doing? Do you need to remove the headlights or does the removed grill give you enough. Pulling it through is easy enough but how do you attach the cable to the bonnet pull release catches? How do the catches work? Well I know how they work it's getting them to work. Is it an easy job like a Sunday afternoon job or is it near enough a front end strip down better still garage it. Then how do they know how to fit it and how it works?? Help please

It's a while since I did one and my car is not here to check details but basically..
    The two catches are made from spring wire and have a loop hanging down, the inner cable passes through both loops and has a ferrule clamped on the end to stop it pulling back through. So when you pull on the release handle the inner pulls one catch and the outer pushes the other catch, so both catches move inwards towards each other.
    I think there's like a cup washer against each catch to support the cable and stop it going through the loop in the catch. (That's the bit I'm not sure about)

Pretty easy job, shouldn't take long.
    Make sure the grommet in the plenum is not damaged or you'll get rain water in the car.

HTH
    John

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
    sigpic

Comment

thats great thanks for that

Comment

John's description is spot on, not a hard job as long as you've got the cable fittings for the bonnet catch end of the cable.

Popping the grill out should be all you need to remove, even that isn't essential but it does make life easier.
        1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
        1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
        1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
        1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

thank you just confused to how does the contraption work as in you pull the cable and yet the bonnet pin catch moves the opposite way from the driection the cable what I mean is that when you release the bonnet manually from underneath drivers side release you ping towards the middle, and passenger side you ping towards the outer edge so if your pulling the cable towards you the release works the opposite way.....??????????????????? confused oh f**ck yes

Comment

When you pull the cable it makes the distance between the the two end fittings shorter pulling both eyes towards the center of the car which releases the catches.
            1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
            1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
            1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
            1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

2126083206_capotaudi80zoom.jpg.7b8fde781e38c2943a1fa1587a2e581f.jpg
              This shows the cable and fittings for LHD, RHD is a mirror of this.
              1992 80 quattro 20vT

Comment

Working...
              X