Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heater matrix RS2

Hello all
    Wanted to see if anyone has attempted to repair a broken water “pipe” before replacing the heater matrix?
    The pipe broke of in the engine bay as in the attached pic. For now I was thinking of bypassing the heater matrix - won’t need a heater for at least 6 months here in sunny South Africa ? - but just checking if anyone had a similar situation and successfully fixed it. Or if you have any suggestions on “repairing” this
    TIA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I see where you are coming from as dash out is one of my least favourite jobs. I have never tried this but looking at how your pipe is broken, you could find some stainless tube the right diameter and epoxy it into the matrix tube. Leave enough sticking out to 're connect the rubber pipe.
    Nothelle S2 Avant
    Black Ur project
    Ocianic Ur project gone
    S2 Coupe project gone
    Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Agree with Dave on this one. Clean the inside of the snapped pipe out, epoxy a small piece of alloy tube inside and the do the same with the other end. However I would check as to what's caused the issue in the first place. Is something pulling on that pipe has someone cable tied it so it cannot move when the engine moves slightly on it's mounts?

Comment

Hi, been there and replacing it is a pig, bypassing and live with it if you don´t need the warm air in the cabin or bite the bullet and replace, you can try to repair as some members stated, might work but if it is the original heater matrix it will be very brittle from age and heat cycles that will crumble to the touch, mine did.
        If you decide to change it it just takes time and patience and one afternoon to take out and another to put it all back up I did it myself and it is quicker and esier with a second set of hands but doable solo.

Comment

Thanx for the reply/feedback - much appreciated. Now to find a stainless tube in the correct size? I found a nylon one that fits perfectly- but not 100% sure if it will last.
          Two weeks back I was replacing the small vacuum pipes and removed everything in the back, including the ISV and think I may have pushed down on that pipe……don't ask?
          The yellow valve, had also broken off and I was checking that when I noticed droplets, in the pipe and went to feel and it just snapped
          The heater matrix is not original- was replaced about 6 years ago…but with a used unit, so yeah might all be brittle ?.
          If the fix doesn't work, I'll just block-off the pipes and carry a few blankets in the car?? but that's only in about 8 months from now?
          The offending yellow valve, but I think I managed to fix it
          I'll report back here in a few days!!!
          Thanx again gents ?

Comment

Small update, managed to finally get a stainless “insert”, which I've just epoxy'ed, will let it cure overnight before reconnecting the water pipe - hope it works?
            Also fixed the yellow valve?
            Hopefully everything will be put together tomorrow or Sunday, then hope for the best
            Have a great weekend!!!

Comment

Ok so that didn't work ? there's still a leak, and I think it's further inside the firewall. I can only assume the rest of the pipe towards the matrix is also bust. Aah well I tried - for now I'll just connect the 2 pipes together and bypass the matrix?
              Cheers guys for the feedback- I'm sure I'll be asking questions when I find a matrix and work up the courage to remove the dash?

Comment

It was worth a try.
                As it's your summer for you, I would do it now while the weather is nice. Best done outside with lots of space so both doors are wide open. Unless you have a massive garage of course
                Nothelle S2 Avant
                Black Ur project
                Ocianic Ur project gone
                S2 Coupe project gone
                Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Thanx Dave, what you say makes sense…..no unfortunately don't have a massive garage
                  I'll only start stripping once I have the matrix in hand - which I believe is going to be a challenge……here on the southern tip of Africa
                  For now I'll just bypass, so that I can still drive it?
                  Cheers

Comment

Autodoc have a bunch of these listed, I think I bought a spare just in case, decent brand and about £30 quid?

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by newsh View Post
                      Autodoc have a bunch of these listed, I think I bought a spare just in case, decent brand and about £30 quid?
                      Thanx newsh - let me check cost for shipping
                      Do you or anyone else have one laying around and can send me the dimensions. Using the part number, I see that the same part is used on a few other cars - A4, golf and Jetta 3, but slightly different dimensions - and they also seem to differ on RHD and LHD cars - mine is RHD
                      dimensions with pics will really be appreciated
                      TIA
                      PS - I've managed to bypass the matrix, so it's driverable again ?

Comment

Autodoc don't deliver to South Africa so the search begins.....

Comment

If you can't find one down South..
                          PM me a postal address and I'll see how much it would be to ship from here.

Better let me have a part number for the correct one too!

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

This is the one I've got here.
                            Box is approx 20x20x35cm.
                            If this one will fit your car, and shipping cost is not too horrendous then I could just send it to you.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

Thank you so much newsh, really appreciated. I will PM you my address and we can take it from there. I've got a few people looking locally. Expect a PM later today.

Comment

Working...
                              X