What would you do????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would you do????

I'm now back on the forum after getting a new laptop, my phone doesn't seen to get along with TapaTalk which is very frustrating.

Anyway, to the case in point. I have a Tornado Red/Pink Corrado G60 which I stuffed through a hedge back in 2019, it sustained moderate front end damage and one quite nasty dent to the offside cill, I am yet to pull the carpet and interior trim, but looking at the underside the damage does not look like it extend's to the floor pan.

The car already required a full respray anyway which as I work in the trade I can get a decent job done for between £1 and £2K, if I do all the prep myself which will be a lot of work, I could even prime it myself once I've painted my garage floor. I would also need to source a pair of decent headlights and wings, I have one wing but it's decayed a lot in storage. The front bumper is fine, though I do have a mint spare along with a pair of complete doors with really heathy window regulators in them, also a spare rear bumper in tidy condition. I've also got one of the now very sought ofter 90mm front lower spoilers and a pair of decent wing mirrors along with quite a few other spares from the couple of Corrados I've broken.

I've been keeping an eye on Corrado prices and they seem to have dropped back a touch like quite a few classic cars. It's a very early car (1989) and orginally from Holland so LHD (which the first UK cars were anayway) and only covered 116,000 kilometers. I have all the history since 2012 when I purchased it but not much from before then, a little but no service book unfortunatlly. It's a nice spec, tidy full black leather interior and steering wheel etc though no sunroof.

I've been doing some back of a fag packet maths and it questionable if it's worth me investing quite a considerable amount of money and a huge amount of my time in doing the repair work, unless I wanted to fix the car for myself as opposed to sell on straight away. As much as I'd love to keep it I've decided to thin down my colection to just three Audi's for which I have a huge amount of spares aquired from breaking a lot of cars as well as picking up RS2 bits and bobs over the years.

My RS2 resoration is going to have to wait until I get shot of my MK2 Golf G60 which requires very little work, the funds from selling the VW will go along way to covering all the work on my RS2, it my even cover it completely if if discount my time. The car is safely locked up in the dry with the tyres inflated to 50psi and every month or so I roll it half a wheels rotation to avoid flat spots, it's got a set of very nearly new Toyo R1R trackday tyres in 225/45/17. I'm not in a massive hurry to start the job, but once I do start it things ahould move quite quickly, the car will be worth so much once resotored I'll probably only use it for shows/meet ups. Hence my idea below...

I also have a very straight and rust free 1989 B3 80 quattro E, which is poverty spec, so manual windows and the 2.0L four cylinder engine. This car is metalic black with the boot spoiler and the paint has gone very dull, it will polish up a fair bit but to make it look nice it would require a full spray. It has no interior other than a pair of front seats and a dash as the stuff in there stank when I purchased the car from a breaker and got burnt.

If I was to break my Corrado and sell all the spares I've got for it I could end up with a pretty much free G60 engine that I know the history of and has a fresh supercharger fitted.

So what I'm tempted to do to get shot of yet another car is fit the G60 engine from my damaged Corrado to my B3 80 quattro and leave it looking a bit tatty and stripped out. It would be very light so the 160bhp motor would make it be quite a quick car, especially with the 80's orginal gearbox which is geared for 120mph at 6K in fifth. I know G60's can be tunned to produce much more power but I like to leave them alone as the charger is stressed enough as it is. Unlike most turbocharged cars from that era it's running pretty close to the design limits of the G-Ladder, the offical factory service interval (full rebuild) on them is 50K miles! As soon as one starts fitting smaller pullys the shorter the service interval becomes and given that it's a £500 job it's not something I want to have to do even more often. My second Corrado G60 had a chip fitted in Germany that retained the stock pully though upped the boost a little and add a touch of timing and more fuel, that was supposed to be 180bhp and the car was very quick however it eat gearboxes

This would be pretty much the opposit to my RS2's restoration, as long as it's not rusty I don't really care what it looks like on the outside, I might not even bother painting the replacement drivers side wing I have for it the correct colour. It will give me a car to fiddle about with unlike my RS2 which is retaining the MTM coversion but otherwise remaining stock. I can always the 80 look nice in future, I'd use the car in winter to keep the salt off my other cars, though the underside will get presure washed every couple of weeks. I do have a nice set of BBS RM's fitted to it currenly as well as a couple of sets of steels.

I've not seen a B3 80 quattro fitted with a G60 engine, the 2.0 block in the car is almost identical to the G60's 1.8, so it really wouldn't take me very long to install it. The only thing I'd have to spend any serious money on is a clutch, I'd proably get a custom one made which isn't as expensive as one would imagine. Though once I have access to the G60's flywheel I might well be able to find stock one that would work fine. I would also need to purchase an intercooler and a couple of bit's of hose but these won't cost a fortune thanks to eBay.

It's a fair bit of work breaking a car but nothing like as time consuming as restoring one and a lot of the Corrado parts are worth a surprising amount. The interior alone is £1K back straight away.
    Last edited by K Simmonds; 17 July 2023, 06:53.
    1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
    1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
    1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
    1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

I'm not sure Kit. Go with your gut feeling. Whatever you decide, looking forward to seeing the pics and reading the story
    Nothelle S2 Avant
    Black Ur project
    Ocianic Ur project gone
    S2 Coupe project gone
    Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Cheers for the input Dave, my gut feeling says whack the G60 into my B3 quattro and leave it looking like a shed. 160 BHP and just over a ton with a low ratio gearbox will be great fun as well as practical in winter with the right tyres.

Plus as I said I'll want something fun I can use as a hack where I don't have to worry about where I park it etc.

I'll have a close look a both engine bays and see if anything is going to catch me out.

And it just occured to me VW put the the G60 in the B4 Passat in Europe, if I can find a new clutch kit for one of those that would save a fair bit of cash and head scraching.

Comment

I was looking to G60 my 91 2.0 80q to keep it retro but a 1.8T 180bhp engine popped up so I put that in instead. I initially used the 2.0 flywheel, pressure plate and clutch as it bolted up to the 1.8 crank. It was fine for normal use but launching, it would slip badly. I replaced it with a Valeo single mass clutch kit meant for the A4 1.8T quattro, It's the same diameter but a tougher clutch and pressure plate and launches well. I haven't done any doughnuts yet Luk also do a dual to single mass conversion kit, so see if your 2.0 flywheel fit's the G60, if it does then it opens up a world of 1.8T clutch kits.

1st gear is useless when booting it so 2nd gear pull aways are the norm now.
        1992 80 quattro 20vT

Comment

Originally posted by Jamin View Post
          I was looking to G60 my 91 2.0 80q to keep it retro but a 1.8T 180bhp engine popped up so I put that in instead. I initially used the 2.0 flywheel, pressure plate and clutch as it bolted up to the 1.8 crank. It was fine for normal use but launching, it would slip badly. I replaced it with a Valeo single mass clutch kit meant for the A4 1.8T quattro, It's the same diameter but a tougher clutch and pressure plate and launches well. I haven't done any doughnuts yet Luk also do a dual to single mass conversion kit, so see if your 2.0 flywheel fit's the G60, if it does then it opens up a world of 1.8T clutch kits.

1st gear is useless when booting it so 2nd gear pull aways are the norm now.
          Cheers for the input... I was going to 1.8T it in due course as those motors are cheap and readily avaiable, hell I even have one from an A3 under my bench however I have the G60 with a fresh charger and I've known it for over ten years. I also really like the G60's power delivery and unique sound, plus as far as I tell no one else has done it.

The 2.0 flywheel should fit my G60 engine, as far as I know all the four pots from that era use the same crank bolt pattern. There is however only one way to be sure and that's to try for real.

Comment

To be fair kit I think you have 1 too many projects and the RS2 is crying out to be restored. Break the Corrado sort of the golf and get started on the RS2. Longer you leave it the harder it's going to be to restore the car, I know you have a fair amount of spares for the car but I'm sure you will find more parts you need as you restore the car. So pull your finger out and get cracking

Comment

Yeah, I can't really diasagree with your logic... However I can't really thrash the pants off my RS2 on gravel foresty tracks and the like which I used to do in my S2. I've throughly accessed my RS2 and it's very good underneath, sure it needs some new bushes butI I think it's polyflex that offer a complete kit for the back of a B4 Avant quattro for something like £400 inc VAT. I maybe in my mid 40's but I still want a toy.

I could get that G60 motor into the 80 and running in a couple of days, I really don't care what it looks like, I'd still make a killing from all the other parts. the 80 is also in great condition underneath, good subframes etc and I I'll make an exhaust system out of random V6 C4 boxs... and a jetex back box which needs new tail pipes.

My 3B S2 sat on axel stands for seven years then I when I got around to it I had it on the road in three months, then three months later it was a 380bhp monster. Given how rarely I'm going to drive my RS2 to be honest it's the last on my list of prioritys, as great as a car it is to drive I look at more like a bar of gold... A very solid investment.

Comment

Sounds like your plan's already made !! The G60 lump in the 80q is a nice change to the common 1.8 turbo(BAM?) conversion and also in keeping with the cars era

Comment

Yep, that's what I though, something a bit differnt and fun, plus it's not a huge undertaking, get's another car out of the way and generates a fair bit of income. The Golf is also increasing in value slowly and is tucked in a nice safe spot... Where as the RS2 is going to probably require over 100 hours of very boring body work as it's had a fair bit of paint here and there all of which I want to remove before respraying it. I'm going to try and avoid going right back to bare metal, I plan to take it back to the orginal paint minus the clear coat or perhaps even the primer to be sure I've got rid of all non OE paint... I don't want any reactions, we still get caught out at work by bits of old paintwork, it'll look fine for a year then start to look weird. It's a proect that is a bit like a spiral of work, the headlining needs recovering which mean's while it out I may as well remove the the roof bars and start on the body prep. 90% of the work in respray is in the prep, putting the paint on is a highly skilled job but is really the easy bit.

I'm still not 100% set on breaking the Corrado, I have a straight offside door I want to test fit as the current one is so bent it doesn't close properly, if I fit a straight one and find it's still off then I know it's bent beyond saving. I also want to cut the mangled section out of the cill and see just how bad the damage is as if I chose to repair it then I won't be bodging it.

Comment

Time for some further thinking outloud...

If I resign myself to breaking the Corrado (which really is very likely) then the motor is going into my B3 80Q, nice simple decesion.

However if I do decide to repair it then I'd like to do some experimental engineering with adding boost to my 80's stock K-jet engine, the short stroke 2.0 engines in the early cars are pretty bomb proof.

A good friend has a 1983 Turbo Technics Scirocco which I can copy the basic set up from and I have a couple of sets of wideband Llamda's/EGTgauges to kee an eye on things... My Zeitronix set up is going into my RS2 but I have other gauges in stock.

I'd like to fit a supercharger to my 2.8 C4 Avant quattro but that car wouldn't be much fun as a toy, it's perfect as it is, a mobile sitting room.

A good friend and I were talking about how we missed a trick with Youtube, people like to watch others doing silly things with cars so I'd probably start a chanel to document the results.

Comment

Lets see a pic of the golf g60

Comment

Not got time to clean anything but here's a selectin of photos of the vehicle's in question. I can take some much better ones over the weekend.... The last two are of my C4 Avant, which I'm using a great many parts from the 30V I've just gotten rid of

Sent from my SM-A115F using Tapatalk
                        Last edited by K Simmonds; 20 July 2023, 05:39.

Comment

Got tomorrow off work so am going to tidy up my yard, split up that C4 drive train and see what bit's I can use on my C4 Avant aside from the springs and shocks which I'm 100% fitting. Will also see what installing the rear ARB entails...

Then I'm going to do a final assesment of my Corrado, fit the straght door and cut all the damage out of the cill.

Am also going to drag the B3 out so I can work on it, I have all the front end componants and a good genuine offside wing.

Comment

Blooming **** Busy day then!
                            Nothelle S2 Avant
                            Black Ur project
                            Ocianic Ur project gone
                            S2 Coupe project gone
                            Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Yeah. I've already got the 80 out, robbed a gallon of fuel out of my C4 as the 80 was dry and she fired up straight away. It's parked up the top for now, I know the Corrado will run as I started it a month ago... Got that C4 driveline to take appart next, thankfully I have impact guns now which saves so much time.

Comment

Working...
                              X