Damn LUK clutches.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Damn LUK clutches.

i've just got my s2 back and the brand new f*cking LUK clutch slips.this is after having it slip once,then i got the flywheel skimmed and machined to increase the tension on the pressure plate,and it still slips!!!now either Mihnea did the best remap ever(well I was impressed)or LUK clutches are as bad as i thought.the one that came out was an LUK and it was fine for a year,and god knows how old.so i thought 'new friction plate,new pressure plate,should be ok'.especially after having the flywheel skimmed.but it seems once again my bad luck gremlin has kicked me in the b0llocks.

chin up phil
    if it's any consolation
    people with the specs clutches
    have had the same problems
    1. SHORT SHIFT KIT
    2. PORSCHE CAYENNE CALIPERS
    3. H & R SPRINGS
    4. BILSTEIN SHOXS
    5. NEW BUSHES AND HP2 STRUTS
    6. UPRATED HIGH OUTPUT COIL PACK
    7. ,3" turbo back s/s/ exhaust
    8. fmic fitted

Comment

it's hard to believe how many new clutch problems there are.a mate of mine had an rs turbo 10 years back and he went through 3 paddle clutches before reverting back to an uprated standard.

Comment

I use a 5 paddle Helix competition clutch in the rally car. with the Ferdanza aluminium flywheel there is no slip and with the extra thick pressure plate there is little heat build up that can cause friction plate cracking up.
        Getting the flywheel skimmed make no difference to whether it slips or not.
        Was there any sign of rear main seal leaking or slave cylinder leaking that could cause slipage?
        Hope you get it sorted.
        sigpic
        Pembo
        quattro - Original 4WD rallying
        Rally Car photos

Comment

Originally posted by philS2 View Post
          it's hard to believe how many new clutch problems there are.a mate of mine had an rs turbo 10 years back and he went through 3 paddle clutches before reverting back to an uprated standard.
          i know what you mean
          a new clutch is the next thing on my
          hit list don't know which to go for
          i'm hoping to get the bhp upped to 400ish
          this year so i'm going to need one
          1. SHORT SHIFT KIT
          3. H & R SPRINGS
          4. BILSTEIN SHOXS
          8. fmic fitted

Comment

Originally posted by philS2 View Post
            i've just got my s2 back and the brand new f*cking LUK clutch slips.this is after having it slip once,then i got the flywheel skimmed and machined to increase the tension on the pressure plate,and it still slips!!!now either Mihnea did the best remap ever(well I was impressed)or LUK clutches are as bad as i thought.the one that came out was an LUK and it was fine for a year,and god knows how old.so i thought 'new friction plate,new pressure plate,should be ok'.especially after having the flywheel skimmed.but it seems once again my bad luck gremlin has kicked me in the b0llocks.
            you are not the only one i 've got a new luk in my shorty it was slipping slightly before now its getting worse you are right they are cr*p .

Comment

Funny. I got on with my LuK clutch fine. Are you sure there's no fluid leak causing it to slip?

Dean - AFAIK it's not the same problem with Spec clutches, they just don't like Aluminium flywheels from what I can gather. That's one of the reasons I decided to stick with a steel one.
              SS

Comment

Originally posted by 4WheelDrifter View Post
                Funny. I got on with my LuK clutch fine. Are you sure there's no fluid leak causing it to slip?

Dean - AFAIK it's not the same problem with Spec clutches, they just don't like Aluminium flywheels from what I can gather. That's one of the reasons I decided to stick with a steel one.
                i bought mine from euro car parts .from what i've heard they are recon probably why they don't last long .i don't have oil leak as far as i know.
                its coming out soon anyway once the 6 speed box goes in

Comment

Originally posted by volcano rs View Post
                  i bought mine from euro car parts .from what i've heard they are recon probably why they don't last long .i don't have oil leak as far as i know.
                  its coming out soon anyway once the 6 speed box goes in
                  I'm not surprised your car has clutch slip with a clutch bought from ECP. What were you thinking man.
                  SS

Comment

Sachs race spec organic. Maybe a 'little bit' heavy, but has lasted well with no problems (yet).
                    Cheers
                    Audi 90 quattro (Typ 85)
                    20v turbo conversion

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 4WheelDrifter View Post
                      I'm not surprised your car has clutch slip with a clutch bought from ECP. What were you thinking man.
                      that was 3 years ago while the car was being built .didn't know then what i know now

Comment

Originally posted by jogi730 View Post
                        Sachs race spec organic. Maybe a 'little bit' heavy, but has lasted well with no problems (yet).
                        Cheers
                        where can you buy sachs race clutches? pete at quattro corner says they no longer do them .

Comment

Originally posted by volcano rs View Post
                          where can you buy sachs race clutches? pete at quattro corner says they no longer do them .
                          le linky hehaheha
                          1. SHORT SHIFT KIT
                          3. H & R SPRINGS
                          4. BILSTEIN SHOXS
                          8. fmic fitted

Comment

Originally posted by topsparky View Post
                            No 3B clutch there though..

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jogi730 View Post
                              Cheers
                              It's like pushing a concrete block out the way!

I got an OEM clutch from VAG parts for my SM flywheel conversion and it was a LUK. I was naturally a bit worried but it handles everything I thrown at it so far. It was about £140 (can't remember if that's +VAT) but I was happy with that price when a Spec 3+ was nearer £400!

Good luck, I know how frustrating these things can be.
                              Cheers'en, AndyC
                              1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

Working...
                              X