job reference checks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• job reference checks

a mate of mine is concerned as she has applied for a job and said that she earns more than she actually does ,couple of grand more , she has been offered the job but do companys check with the other company on what the salary what she was earning?
    im not to sure so i thought i would ask on here
    thanks

She'll have to give the new company her P60 (or P45?) which will tell them exactly how much she earnt this last tax year. I think this is because they need to work out her tax code and establish how much tax to deduct from her monthly pay. It won't show the breakdown between basic pay and overtime, but it will give them the total.

Sorry - my guess is that they'll find out, unless she earned a couple of grand extra as either over-time or a bonus?

Comment

I doubt it very much so would not worry about it, I also think that they are not allowed to as its private data.

Comment

In our line of work the worse the reference usually means the better the applicant as the previous employer doesn't want to lose them... As an employer I'd question the necessity to over exaggerate the salary; as a limited amount of research can prove the applicant is 'telling untruths' and advertising employment vacancies in that field suggests the employer's already done their homework.

I'd check a previous employer for experience/competencies/safety critical files etc, but salary no... The new employer will know the stock worth of the post advertised.
        85 WR Urquattro, 85 20vT International liveried RallyRep
        93 MTMS2 Avant

Comment

I wouldn't worry.... BUT if it does come up in conversation, it could be mentioned there were other benefits, which as part of the package made up the equivalent shortfall... but I dont think it will come up.....
          Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird Turbo....undergoing major changes.....
          S2 Coupe... bit easier off the line...
          '03 ZX12-R daily hack.... lots of nice bolt ons...

Comment

It wont come up.

The P45/P60 will be done by accounts who will have no clue of the previous conversation.

In any case she can say that was the figure they offered to keep her or it was the latest pay rise that she hadn't yet earned hence not on the P45.

Comment

Originally posted by DJones View Post
              The P45/P60 will be done by accounts who will have no clue of the previous conversation.
              I
              Good Point - Hadn't thought of that

Comment

its all about selling yourself for max cash. if they wanna pay it offer you x thats up to them. it has no bearing on what yuo previously earned.

if i earned 20k then its not my next employers right to know what i earn so that can offer 500 more. they offer what they think you are worth.

Comment

Working...
                X