Bothersome bolt.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bothersome bolt.

I've got a a couple of rounded 17mm bolt heads that absolutely will not budge.
    I bought a set of those fantastic Turbo sockets which really do work.

The odd thing is the sockets have a weedy 3/8" drive which will shear any CrV extension bar. The socket also has a 26mm hex head which would be ideal if it wasn't for the fact that there isn't enough room to place a socket onto the Turbo socket.

What do you chaps recommend? A drop forged impact extension bar or a visit to a tyre fitter for a blast on his impact gun?

Thanks.

i bought a set similar to this and they work a treat, not failed to remove any siezed nuts/bolts to date

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/96028/...ut-Remover-Set
    sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

I like to use a slightly undersized 12-point socket, hammer it on the rounded bolt head works every time.
      Austin
      1992 urs4 1991 200 20v avant 1990 90q 20v

Comment

Failing that, not very practical, but hit it with a big hammer, releases the frustration!

More seriously, some bolts can be eased by tapping with a hammer, as it loosens the rust/corrosion on them, my dad showed me this trick and it has helped me out many a time. He used to work on tanks mind, so probably used a much bigger hammer than average.

Hopefully then, what ever you can get on it will be enough to shift it.
        Last edited by madwolf_Uk; 22 March 2008, 23:14.
        Audi A4 1.8Tq

VW Passat 1.8T RIP

Comment

@David thats the very set I have. They grip no problem, the problem is I am restricted to using the 3/8 drive which will shear the extension bar in a trice. I refer to them as Turbo sockets as this is the name given to them by the tool makers that developed them in the US.

@Austin, that was my first point of attack. Its worked for me before but it doesn't want to this time. Can you reuse the same socket I wonder for another round of abuse? The amount of rust flake that found its way to the ground was alarming after my bashing.

Comment

A torch and good penetrating spray helps too. You can re-use the same socket but sometimes you have to go down a size.
            Austin
            1992 urs4 1991 200 20v avant 1990 90q 20v

Comment

Originally posted by madwolf_Uk View Post
              Failing that, not very practical, but hit it with a big hammer, releases the frustration!

More seriously, some bolts can be eased by tapping with a hammer, as it loosens the rust/corrosion on them, my dad showed me this trick and has helped me out many a time. He used to work on tanks mind, so probably used a much bigger hammer than average.

Hopefully then, what ever you can get on it will be enough to shift it.
              Can see you have done this before
              93 S2 Avant Parting
              91 URQ RR
              02 A4 tdi Avant

Comment

Originally posted by Knight Rider S4 View Post
                Can see you have done this before
                Hey, what ya saying exactly? It works mind, and is so satisfying when the ****** comes undone!

Main thing ive used it on so far that i can recall is bolts for brackets in the engine bay that bolt into captive nut type arrangements that are heavily corroded.
                Audi A4 1.8Tq

VW Passat 1.8T RIP

Comment

this might sound daft but here goes i know you want to undo the nuts/bolts but try to tighten them ever so slightly after a good spray with plus gas or a good quality penatrating fluid as you will have more clean threads to get going, undo a full turn then tighten half a turn just to keep the threads ok
                  ABY Cricket Green Pearl Coupe, blk leather
                  THE ONLY TROUBLE WITH DOING NOTHING IS KNOWING WHEN YOUR FINISHED!!!

Comment

Hammer and a small cold chisel, and tap it round to undo it works every time, then a new bolt of course.

Comment

A 3/8" breaker bar should be a lot stronger than a 10mm Bolt! (Assuming 17mm head = 10mm thread) The secret is to get a good swing on it. Once you've soaked it overnight with plusgas and given it a few sharp taps directly on the head with a large hammer, get your gripper socket or undersized 12 point banged on and use a breaker bar with a bit of tube slipped over it and give it a good hard push, if the tool is flexing it will bounce. If you can do without an extension its best but if you have to use one to get clearance try to support the extension, If I'm doing a brake or hub bolt I put an axle stand under the extension. Set the breaker bar up so you're using your weight downwards and put some rag on the floor where you will punch the concrete when it lets go with a bang!

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by newsh View Post
                        put some rag on the floor where you will punch the concrete when it lets go with a bang!
                        Now theres the voice of experience
                        Audi A4 1.8Tq

VW Passat 1.8T RIP

Comment

Got it! With a combination of the hints and tips provided. Returning to the next day for a fresh start seemed to help no end.

Thank to one and all for the valuable tips.

Comment

Working...
                          X