Trickle Charger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trickle Charger

I want to hook my s2 up to a trickle charger to keep the battery alive whilst it's not in use over the winter.

I've looked at the ctek xs3600 which looks good, but i mentioned it to an electrician mate and he said trickle chargers are dangerous.

I know a few of you store your cars for a while, do any of you use chargers?

Cheers.
    S2Forum.com Administrator

Did he say why he thought they were dangerous?
    sigpic
    1991 Audi S2 3B - 2.5 Stroker engine
    1997 A6 2.5TDi quattro avant - C4
    1976 RD250E / 350LC cafe racer

Comment

I use one with the bike (from Hein Gericke) and it does that fine, not had any battery issues. It's of the type that'll do a full charge if needed and then switch to trickle to maintain.

It's meant to work with cars too, although I haven't had call to try it.

What's meant to be the issue with them?
      1993 ABY Coupe | BMW R1200 GS
      A6 3.0 TDI Quattro (aka Sonic's 'ring support/cargo vehicle )

Comment

Originally posted by Sonic View Post
        I want to hook my s2 up to a trickle charger to keep the battery alive whilst it's not in use over the winter.

I've looked at the ctek xs3600 which looks good, but i mentioned it to an electrician mate and he said trickle chargers are dangerous.

I know a few of you store your cars for a while, do any of you use chargers?

Cheers.
        I've used one for 8 years now on my track car, its plugged in all year round, never had any problems and is really good at extending battery life. I always leave the actual unit on the floor away from anything flammable though just incase it overheats. (having said that, it hasn't ever got hot so far).
        sigpic

Comment

The Ctek chargers are 'intelligent' and won't damage your battery or car, you can leave the battery connected to the car.

I have one and its brilliant, no hesitation in recommending Ctek.

Pete
          Audi RS2 Volcano Black, MRC chip, Milltek exhaust

Comment

I've got the Ctek trickle charger unit and have no problems to report with just over 2 years use.
            Stuart
            B2 90 quattro with boost

Comment

+1, got mine from costco a while back and been great
              sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Yep, the CTEK 3600 is great.
                1995 RS2 on Alcohol (6.8sec 100-200km/h)
                1994 80E Avant
                1986 2L Golf 2 on Alcohol

Comment

I have 3 CTEK chargers (2 XS7000 and one 3600) permanently attached to cars not in use. They are brilliant and keep the battery in topshape. As others have mentioned they are intelligent and are battery conditioners not trickle chargers.

Comment

Thanks guys, 3600 on order

Comment

Another Ctek user here. They are the dogs danglies. Intelligent, easy to use, safe.

I have fitted the additional battery terminals and 2 way plug to mine under the rear. All you have to do is lean into the rear of the car and plug it in where the back seat meets the chassis. Trail the lead out of the drivers door and plug it in.

The Perfectionist
                      sigpic
                      Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

Hi, I've got two in constant use, an 'Optimate' on my bike & a Ctek on my car, used them for over 5 years without any problems
                        Audi S2 Coupe 1995
                        VW Passat GL5 (hatch) 1986
                        VW Passat GL 1.8 (saloon) 1986
                        Carrera Subway 8

Comment

I bought a cheap £18 halfords equivalent last year to mask a dud battery, kept it going a few weeks until I got a replacement. Used it thereafter, just opened the boot and plugged it in when parking up for the night. Annoyingly I left the battery adapter in the back of the Avant when i sold it - after carefully taking it off the battery

Good excuse to upgrade to a CTEK?
                          AUDI - saving Dad's from minivans since 1994

Comment

I'd say so. I got this for £40 delivered.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=400173656694

Comment

I've not long bought a Ctek 3600.... great piece of kit and good valve, especially useful with the permanent ring terminals lead.

Just don't forget to unplug it and drive off.. BTDT ripped the bullets out of the connector, had to solder on a replacement i chopped off an old HID loom so its now a bit of a frankenstein creation
                              Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                              Indigo ABY coupé
                              Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Working...
                              X