Recaro subframes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recaro subframes

Has anyone got any experience of using Recaro universal subframes?
    Would they be the best option or would it be better to have something fabricated?
    Will need something when I will fit the Classics. Advice appreciated.
    Cheers
    Chris
    Audi 90 quattro (Typ 85)
    20v turbo conversion

sigpic

I modded the original subframes, basically cut off original seat mounts ans welded 2 bits of flat bar or box section across with holes in it to bolt to the bottom of the recaros, mk2 was made to get the seat lower and had mounts welded onto the original subframe for the recaro mounts, but not going all the way across.

This thread is worth a trawl through, has some pictures of original subframes modded to fit other seats.
    Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
    Sold ABY-stock

Comment

Thanks for that info. Have you a link to the thread per chance?
      I am probably looking at getting some typ85 seat subframes modded, but wondered if there were any BTDT to cofirm this was the best/easiest route to take.
      Cheers
      Chris
      Audi 90 quattro (Typ 85)
      20v turbo conversion

sigpic

Comment

http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthr...ghlight=recaro

Sorry about that, I dont know if type 85 ones are the same as s2 or narrower?

Sold ABY-stock

Comment

I put recaros onto my typ 85 frames. It was a tight squeeze with the frames being almost exactly the same width apart as the seat bolt holes. I will try and take some pics for you.

Comment

That would be most appreciated.
            Many thanks
            Audi 90 quattro (Typ 85)
            20v turbo conversion

sigpic

Comment

That would be most appreciated, especially as this will be my most likely route.
              Many thanks.
              Audi 90 quattro (Typ 85)
              20v turbo conversion

sigpic

Comment

I have been able to source 1 typ 85 Recaro seat subframe. I will use that as template to convert the Golf 2 Recaro seat subframe as they are almost identical. I bought 4 in total in case I screw up

Comment

still got the type 89 frames aswell Bram? Should not be too hard to modify those to the type 85 width.

Comment

I have Recaro subframes in my coupe, my opinion is that the metal they are made from is not as strong as the original seats.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                    sigpic

Comment

i will get some pictures up tomorrow. i basically welded a couple of flat plates to the original subframe but had to squeeze the tubing a bit to be able to get the m6 bolts in the bottom. i also retained the height adjustment. i have only done my drivers seat and its not been tidied up yet as iv been doing other bits and pieces.

I would be interested to see the real typ85 recaro sub frames.

Comment

Originally posted by martinws View Post
                        i will get some pictures up tomorrow. i basically welded a couple of flat plates to the original subframe but had to squeeze the tubing a bit to be able to get the m6 bolts in the bottom. i also retained the height adjustment. i have only done my drivers seat and its not been tidied up yet as iv been doing other bits and pieces.

I would be interested to see the real typ85 recaro sub frames.
                        I would be interested in seeing these too

Comment

Ok. Just realised that this wouldnt apply if you are using side mounts but it might give you an idea of the size of typ85 runners next to a seat.
                          Firstly, the seat with runner attached

from the top

Squashed tube

Welded

Braced

Welds still need checked over and cleaned up before repainting but you get the idea. Hope that is of help or just some inspiration at least.

Comment

You got a set of evo seats as well then?

Have you checked that for height in the car?

Sold ABY-stock

Comment

Yea, after i had a look at yours at the grouse meet i was keeping an eye out for them, then i gota text from a mate who had just bought bride seats for his track evo and had them going spare. They are a little bit high but ok for the moment. Im 6'2'' and my head doesnt hit the roof but i defo couldnt wear a helmet. I might try and make better mountings for them to get them really low and still have a bit of adjustment.

Comment

Working...
                              X