snow, snow, snow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• snow, snow, snow

I don't post here much, but I've had my S2 coupe for 5 years. Despite the 5 years, I've never driven it in the snow. I used to have a 100 Quattro, but more recently my Discovery TD5 that gets used in bad weather, but it's poorly at the mo, so the S2's getting used more. I've just got back from a 2 hour drive in the snow. The S2 was great, if a bit understeery on slow corners. No dramas anywhere and good fun, I shouldn't really be suprised though. A great drive despite being stuck behind a slow Discovery for about 10 miles.
    Ben

Mine has spun all four wheels everytime I have pulled off when the boost kicked in - Are you using winter tyres?
    Life is a rollercoaster

Comment

Im hoping to see some down here but all we've got now is ******* rain!! Im itching to drive it in the snow (with its non snow tyres )

Comment

im in Cov and its snowed since 2:30 pm and its just stoped

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Stark View Post
          Im hoping to see some down here but all we've got now is ******* rain!! Im itching to drive it in the snow (with its non snow tyres )
          Mine is on 18's with Yoka rubber... evil in the corners or when the boost kicks in - Beat down third lane of the M40 into work though
          Life is a rollercoaster

Comment

No winter tyres on mine, but standard size 16's. Yes it spins all the wheels when you hoof it, but there's the clue...
            Ben

Comment

Originally posted by ben.gough View Post
              No winter tyres on mine, but standard size 16's. Yes it spins all the wheels when you hoof it, but there's the clue...
              300 wild horses kick in at a low rev range - The carpark at my work place in Warwick is well wicked
              Life is a rollercoaster

Comment

Originally posted by ben.gough View Post
                I don't post here much.
                Ben!

Dude, this was your second post, that's a bit less than not much, that's somewhere between hardly at all and never!

Great fun in the snow tonight eh? I put the winter tyres on this morning and the car is great to drive, no dramas, it spins up as soon as it boosts but that's no surprise is it.. Apart from that it stops and goes pretty well and I was passing a few people when the roads were clear enough. As said it's the understeer in slow corners though
                I was doing really well on the back roads but when I came to the dual carriageway at a T junction, I tried to pull out sharpish and ended up on the centre reservation.. Luckily the kerb was low

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by newsh View Post
                  Ben!

doing really well on the back roads but when I came to the dual carriageway at a T I tried to pull out sharpish and ended up on the centre reservation.. Luckily the kerb was low
                  OUCH
                  Life is a rollercoaster

Comment

I loved my s2 last year in the snow, I hope the snow isn't bad my way this year as I wont have the s2 to get me around.
                    96 S2 aby Coupe. Rebuild Project
                    96 mk3 golf tdi daily.

Comment

Originally posted by poor-boy View Post
                      OUCH
                      Yes, I keep having to remind myself not to have too much fun and end up having to rebuild the front of the car again like last winter!
                      The dual carriageway in question has been resurfaced so many times there is practically no kerb, then it's just grass, when I realised it wasn't going round I steered straight so as to roll straight up it, the tyre tracks will be quite funny if they're still visible this morning
                      I came down a steep hill last night with a left hand bend in the middle, down the bottom I could see hazard lights flashing, you could see the car in front, a megane I think, had slid all the way over to the right hand side of the road and pretty much bounced off the kerb. The nokians just drove round the corner and even responded when I tried a dab on the brakes.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

them Nokian WR's are fantastic Sounds like you have been having fun in the snow...tiny dusting here and the car is off the road anyway but might get the scout out to try the haldex system on summer rubber
                        sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Understeer at low speed is the main problem, maybe I need to do the diff lock mod?

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by s2driveruk View Post
                            them Nokian WR's are fantastic
                            Yeah brilliant, I might even buy a new set next year

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

Glad I'm not the only one that surprised myself on the winters Newsh

Oddly on my bargin Nnnyangkang SV2s understeer is not a problem at slow speed at all, the car feels very tail happy! Turning right outta my road the front went exactly where I wanted, back end kept going and hit the kerb... not hard but the alignment is probably not so perfect now

Coming on boost was a bit of a laugh, took off at some lights in the untouched RH lane with a short-shift into 2nd, fella in the A4 next to me was having a bit of fun too, I was clear of him right away so booted it and held about 5,000rpm in 2nd for a few seconds... needed a bit of opposite lock to hold it but I was doing just over 40 when I lifted.

The snow is pretty much all gone this morning, shame, I would have liked a few fun morning runs to the station
                              AUDI - saving Dad's from minivans since 1994

Comment

Working...
                              X