Is RS2 spec OEM enough? Discuss...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is RS2 spec OEM enough? Discuss...

I was talking about this last night with someone who has a rare S2 and isn't sure if RS2ing it would devalue it or whether it's a suitable upgrade in keeping with the OEM+ philosophy.

My thoughts are that as long as anything done can be undone, should a future owner want it 100% stock again, it's fair game and that a properly done RS2 conversion using quality parts would not only enhance the car to drive but also makes it even more special.

Discuss...
    Cheers'en, AndyC
    1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

I agree, RS2 spec can have a totally OE look and can easily be reversed. The other option for a very rare car would be a remap and hybrid K24
    91 Modded 3B
    14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

Stock engine,rs2 ic,intake,exhaust + bigger injectors ,fuel pump ,Wagner evo rs2 manifold and gt3071 or 76 and that's all.

Everything will still looking stock!
      RED Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI TME nº 16 of 250
      BLACK Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI TME nº 189 of 250
      LWB Audi Sport Quattro project

Comment

It's getting to that point now I think where a mint standard car is worth far more than a nice modified one. RS2 spec at least looks OEM and is easily reversible, but in order to run it safely other upgrades are required which takes you further from OEM spec. So IMHO if he wants to maintain or increase the value keep it bone stock and recondition it.
        Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
        Indigo ABY coupé
        Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

To me an RS2 spec S2 is as good as OEM spec, Audi made all the parts so i dont see what the problem is. Put it this way only us anoraks could tell the difference visually.
          91CQ20v - Gone to a new home
          93UR-S4 - The Magic Carpet
          94S2Bus - The Emerald Express

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty View Post
            I was talking about this last night with someone who has a rare S2 and isn't sure if RS2ing it would devalue it or whether it's a suitable upgrade in keeping with the OEM+ philosophy....
            What I want to know is what constitues a "rare S2"? A RHD S2 gomera pearl effect sedan/saloon is the only thing that comes to mind.

Photos please
            RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
            94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

I think a completely stock S2 is a glorious and rare thing, and having casually looked for 18 months before buying mine, I can't say I've come across many. Whether it be different wheels, steering wheel, interior, hoses or just small things, you don't see many as they left the factory.

OEM+ seems to be the in thing at the moment, and is a bit of a buzz word. I don't like it. To a casual buyer it's a car with non-standard mods.

A down side of an RS2 spec S2 for me would be calling my insurance company and trying to explain what had been done. 'Engine change, no, but I have changed the turbo, injectors, intercooler and had a remap.... hello.... hello?'.

All that said... I plan to add more BHP to mine in the future, but I wouldn't expect a buyer to appreciate it in the same way I do.

Comment

Originally posted by UrS4boy View Post
                What I want to know is what constitues a "rare S2"? A RHD S2 gomera pearl effect sedan/saloon is the only thing that comes to mind.

Photos please
                The car will be revealed in due course, when the owner is happy with it but it is truly unique
                Cheers'en, AndyC
                1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

most cars like coupe's and avants are easy to find as stock compared to say if you wanted to do it to say a saloon, if it was something like that i'd leave it stock.

Comment

For Me Stock+ or OEM+ if you like.....

For me that would be items that really should have been done better by Audi before it left the factory.

As with lots of cars there have to be compromises the Manufacturer has to make when doing a car that they hope to sell big(ish) numbers of...

My Plus points would be;
                    996 brake upgrade
                    18" alloys
                    Dial's
                    Boost Gauge
                    & Homefried upgrade.

Ummmm Am I just listing my own car....

sigpic

New S2 - S8 & RS2 -RS6 Keyrings

Comment

Stock is just not fast enough, many cars will easily out do you if
                      you only have 230hp, tuned RS2 spec (370hp) and that becomes very few.

I could not drive a stock S2, way too slow, even chipped (280hp) its not
                      enough for me.

I'm even finding now that 370hp is not enough now :mischeif:, full RS2 set up could
                      be for sale soon.

Comment

I cant see whats so important running stock when its so much more fun going rs2 upgrade or more. Only reason would be insurence problems, but never heard of such problems.. Or if planning to sell the car to a museum or something.
                        Here in Norway you get more money for a good upgraded car than a stock car..

Like over, stock is not fast enough, and I like driving S2 becuse its fun, and more power is even more fun

Comment

If you're buying it as an "investment"

It has to be stock... But Not just stock - It would have to be low mileage High Spec and have been maintained regardless of costs...

If it's been modified 9/10 it will have been driven hard and thats not what a "collector" would be looking for...

If its been modified that doesn't mean it's a bad car and may well have been better looked after than "some" stock cars - but I doubt in later years it would reach the value of a stock car that matches point 1...

I look at MK2 Golfs everyday and Modified ones NEVER fetch strong money - but than can be down the chav that owns it and what he's done to it... BUT I've seen low mileage, stock cars with history sell for £10K+

I guess it depends on what the owner actually wants...

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Le S2 Audi View Post
                            If you're buying it as an "investment"

It has to be stock... But Not just stock - It would have to be low mileage High Spec and have been maintained regardless of costs...

If it's been modified 9/10 it will have been driven hard and thats not what a "collector" would be looking for...

If its been modified that doesn't mean it's a bad car and may well have been better looked after than "some" stock cars - but I doubt in later years it would reach the value of a stock car that matches point 1...

I look at MK2 Golfs everyday and Modified ones NEVER fetch strong money - but than can be down the chav that owns it and what he's done to it... BUT I've seen low mileage, stock cars with history sell for £10K+

I guess it depends on what the owner actually wants...

Where are these 'collectors' ? I buy a car to drive it not to collect it.

Comment

Originally posted by driftin jo View Post
                              Where are these 'collectors' ? I buy a car to drive it not to collect it.
                              Me for one.... and it's new owner..

As I said "it's down to the owner" and if your happy to do that to your car thats your choice....

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X