Ignition barrel replacement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition barrel replacement?

Anyone here actually done this? It looks like a bit of a fiddle.. The little metal tab that sticks out the back of the barrel and turns the ignition switch has broken off on my Coupe, so I'll be needing to change the barrel. Are the parts available separately? Or do I have to re pin the lock Don't want to have different key to the doors

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
    sigpic

Well I've just ordered a lock and 2 keys off the bay of ease, I'll see if I can swap parts around..

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

I need to do this on mine. Ive got a spare barrel i got for this purpose... mine broke over a year ago now.

You can remove the lock tumbler from the barrel assembly, its retained by a roll pin which can be removed by drilling a hole in the right place and punching it out and then swapping your old lock tumbler into the replacement barrel.
      There is a post on here showing where to drill, and it might even be in the bently if my memory is right.

Its on my list of things to do, but as my engine is currently in bits, i have other things to attend to first. And I drove the car starting it with a screw driver for 6 months....
      1994 URS4 Avant RS2+

Comment

And I drove the car starting it with a screw driver for 6 months....[/QUOTE]

Which always elicits a little smile

Comment

John. This happened to my coupe, fortunately when it was in a garage having new tyres
          fitted, so I didn't have to pay. They replaced the barrel with a new one saying it was to difficult to repair. to this day Every time I get into the bloody car I put the wrong key in the ignition, and believe me don't want that. With the coupe the barrel was broken, but I had a similar problem with the S6. In the case it was a plastic part at the barrel that had worn. This was replaced and I had the same keys. Audi said it was a common failure. From memory it did not cost a great deal.

Comment

Haha, it feels really dodgy starting it with a screwdriver, keep expecting a tap on the shoulder and "Is this your car sir?"

Worse though is starting it up in the petrol station and driving off but forgetting to turn the key to unlock the steering..

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

Lou, I replaced the plastic switch part a year or so ago but this time it's the metal tang on the back of the lock. I'll see if I can swap the lock tumbler over if it's not too worn out.

Thanks chaps

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

This might be helpful not sure if there are differences in the LHD to RHD lock housings?
                http://www.motorgeek.com/viewtopic.p...=+lock#p682566
                Austin
                1992 urs4 1991 200 20v avant 1990 90q 20v

Comment

Thanks Yoda that's helpful, I'm waiting for my new lock to arrive before attempting this as it's the only car I have that still drives at the mo and I can't afford to have it in bits

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

Which car has the problem John. You are really having some bad luck at moment.
                    How are things going with the rest of the fleet.

Comment

It's the coupe Lou, I've got the ign switch hanging out the bottom of the dash so I can still drive it

I have now collected most of the bits needed to repair the Rs4, the Amethyst Avant and my son's Avant. Silver Dagdag has been broken/scrapped/donated. ete Berry has the Amethyst and is building me a motor the other 2 cars are in bits on the driveway

We wont mention the ur which is spread across 3 counties..

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

I literally just did this a few weeks ago...

http://motorgeek.com/viewtopic.php?f...nition#p682573

Have beer ready...

Comment

Originally posted by Couped View Post
                          I literally just did this a few weeks ago...

http://motorgeek.com/viewtopic.php?f...nition#p682573

Have beer ready...
                          Cheer's Yoda posted your thread already

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

^^Touche'...My mind skipped the link...Good Luck!

Comment

Ah! Borrox! Wrong lock! I got a AUDI 893 905 855 A which doesn't fit

For the S2 I should have got 4A1 905 855 or MEYLE-number: 100 910 0008

The difference is quite small, the back of the lock is just rotated by a few degrees..

Last edited by newsh; 20 February 2014, 23:25.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X