Future S2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The budget is low I know.
    The other car at that money that he likes is a Porsche Boxster S. That probably makes more sense but I've had such a good experience owning my RS2 it's worth having a look. I don't want to give up easily. I looked for ages for my RS2 and it came up eventually

Anyone know much about the 986 Boxster S?

Comment

They come with a free set of GHDs don't they ?

:-)
      Paul Nugent
      Webmaster http://S2central.net
      Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
      2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
      2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Originally posted by S2central.net View Post
        They come with a free set of GHDs don't they ?

:-)
        Ha ha, you saved me saying it. They handle good, make a fairly decent noise and are not slow but not exactly fast either.

They come with the added downside of having to be seen driving around in a Boxster.

It's funny you mention the XUD engine as a few years back, I was driving some back roads in my old ZX Volcane (242k miles, I miss that car) when some prick in a Boxster was up my backside in a 30mph zone. I was doing like 37 as usual, so really annoys me but hey, if he wants to be a fool, he can be a fool.

Anyhow, we got to the outer limit GLF Signs (Go Like F***) and he tore past my 90bhp french monster like the **** he was. Off he went into the distance.

About half a mile up the road is a lovely on camber sharp sharp corner that you can take at about 35mph max in an S2 on the absolute limit. I assume he tried to take it a little faster and did not have the skills to understand what his backend was doing, as I could see just the rear of his car sticking out of the hedge. I pulled over to see him kicking his door open. I asked if he was ok and he nodded yes and I could see he was fine.

I then simply said "you should have bought a 911 and done it properly" and drove off laughing.

Having said that, Porsche service dept is good, parts can be found in a dairy and are not as expensive as you might think.

M3's and S2's are not getting cheaper. If he wants one, he has to find the money now to buy one or just never bother as they will get more and more out of range.

Comment

Originally posted by Cottis View Post
          I was driving some back roads in my old ZX Volcane (242k miles, I miss that car)
          I was just looking at ZX's on e-bay yesterday!!!

Comment

Originally posted by John. View Post
            I was just looking at ZX's on e-bay yesterday!!!

Ha ha, are there actually any left? I might have to go have a gander. I think mine had the most comfortable seats I have ever sat in. The french do know how to make comfy velour clad seats.

I bought mine for £500 from a guy called Clinton in Kent when it was on around 130k or something like that. 5yrs later with more than 100k added, I sold it for 270quid. I hadn't cleaned it externally in all that time. It was originally white but when sold, was taking on more of a green hue. I am sure it had algae growing on the window sills.

I miss Claude. He had so much character and took me up to Scotland and back many many times.

Comment

Xantia's were always my banger of choice. Last one I ever had I bought it for £190, TD, had it a year and sold it for £450

Comment

Ha ha, are there actually any left?
                A few!
                I worked at a Citroen dealer when the Zx was new, we had a Christmas weekend away on the company to a nice hotel near Aviemore. We all drove up from the borders, me and the other 2 in the "young team" drove a split new ZX Volcane TD with 10 miles on the clock........we kicked it's **** up that road and back again. It was to be a demonstrator and later after it had been sold on and had 18k on the clock it was one of the fastest diesel cars' I'd driven.......it had been WELL run in!
                Very comfy cars especially the Xantias'.........assuming the suspension sphere's weren't needing replaced!!

Comment

What I loved most, was the bizarre (but actually logical) approach to their car design.

For example, you got an electric passenger wing mirror because you could not reach it from the drivers seat but the drivers side was manual. I love stuff like that. So quirky but genius really.

Comment

A few!
                    very comfy cars especially the Xantias'.........assuming the suspension sphere's weren't needing replaced!!
                    had 2 xantias and both needed them doing at the front, was like a bucking bronco when I got it

Not sure how we've ended up going from porsche to citroen but we've given op a few more options to consider

Comment

Originally posted by Audi J View Post
                      had 2 xantias and both needed them doing at the front, was like a bucking bronco when I got it

Not sure how we've ended up going from porsche to citroen but we've given op a few more options to consider
                      Ha ha, those rear torsion suspension bars were funny for creaks. My ZX's had been replaced with the entire unit and running gear from a 306 Cabrio. When the rear hub assembly needed replacing, it took me an age to find out what part I needed. Citroen insisted rear discs on the ZX had ABS but this clearly did not. They kept calling me a liar. Eventually I twigged. How the hub didnt fall off whilst I was faffing about it beyond me.

Sounds like OP already has experience of an XUD, so maybe he is a closet Citroen fan.

Comment

Don't ask me why or how but my son owns a 60K mile 2 owner ZX diesel NA for less than £500!
                        I don't know where he found it but he got it dirt cheap and its in really good nick, uses hardly any fuel and is a great runner for him as the E36 is a bit heavy on fuel for getting to work etc

That single electric wing mirror feature and the single wiper are nicked directly from Mercedes-Benz! All my W124 and 190Es had that!

Doesn't quite satisfy the need for pace hence the S2
                        Yes boxsters are a bit girly but they are still a Porsche!
                        And at that money a very good car.

I like my Porsche more though, if he does get a Boxster I can use the 'should have bought a 911' quote :

Last edited by naim22; 29 July 2016, 17:50.

Comment

How sad am i? I think i like the ZX more than the Porsche. Only joking, it looks lovely but the ZX is in amazing nick. Must have been an elderly person driving it to a bridge game once a week haha

Comment

Ha ha, those rear torsion suspension bars .......
                            Used to change the rear subframe mounts on almost every ZX at every MOT!!.....as well as front wishbone bushes, rear shoes and cylinders, handbrake cables....etc.
                            I got the cam-belt change time down to 20 mins for a NA diesel.......was well chuffed having that title!
                            I don't think I'd of had one back then, couldn't afford it anyway!.....but I'd have one now just for the simplicity.

Comment

Used to change the rear subframe mounts on almost every ZX at every MOT!!.....as well as front wishbone bushes, rear shoes and cylinders, handbrake cables....etc.
                              I got the cam-belt change time down to 20 mins for a NA diesel.......was well chuffed having that title!
                              I don't think I'd of had one back then, couldn't afford it anyway!.....but I'd have one now just for the simplicity.
                              Ahhh yes, lower arms. An annual service item

My mate did the work on mine and deffo had the cambelt down to under an hour for the turbo variants (we ran lots of 306's before the infamous Claude hit the scene) but he never got anywhere near 20mins. Good work.

Comment

20 mins! That's proper quick.
                                Well the last owner of the ZX bought the car when my lad was 2 years old (1995) and had it right up till May this year. He was an elderly bloke.

The idea is he just runs it into the ground. Its a Bosch VE version aswell

Maybe he should just sack a performance car and run the ZX

Comment

Working...
                                X