Current state of S2 market

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sonic View Post
    I've got Ross' APR tuned TTRS on the driveway now, and it's a phenomenal modern 2-seat sports car that rattles through the gears nicely with the auto box, but all the plastic panels, generic VAG interior and niceties in the world will not make it an S2.

The other thing is consider which isn't tangible is desirability. A bit like the classic Porsche's which have soared in value, as people grow-up and accumulate wealth they desire the cars and experiences they pined after whilst growing up, and with money on their side seek to attain.

£6k to buy my ageing S2 when i was 19 seemed like a lot of cash... but i've since spent £6k multiple times just keeping it on the road over the years!

Simply put - badge and power doth not a car maketh

Couldnt agree more! I'm in the market for a new car in the next 6 months and i have looked at the RS3 as an option but then decided against it. I'm sure it will be a great (refined) car. And that is absolutely not what an S2 is. Dont get me wrong, it is no urq either but the character of the car is 'mechanical' it has old school lag, there isn't a huge vanity panel under the bonnet so i can see pipes and wires and harks back to a simpler time before tech really got too polished.

I also just think the shape has aged so bloody well. Parked up, the S2 doesn't look old, it just stands out, it is a classic sillouette. Park it next to a Nissan 200sx or something of the same era and then you see just how well it has aged.
    sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by s2driveruk View Post
      Couldnt agree more! I'm in the market for a new car in the next 6 months and i have looked at the RS3 as an option but then decided against it. I'm sure it will be a great (refined) car. And that is absolutely not what an S2 is. Dont get me wrong, it is no urq either but the character of the car is 'mechanical' it has old school lag, there isn't a huge vanity panel under the bonnet so i can see pipes and wires and harks back to a simpler time before tech really got too polished.

I also just think the shape has aged so bloody well. Parked up, the S2 doesn't look old, it just stands out, it is a classic sillouette. Park it next to a Nissan 200sx or something of the same era and then you see just how well it has aged.
      ... Park the S2 next to a first generation Audi TT and the S2 looks 10 years newer.... IMHO that has aged terribly...
      85 WR Urquattro, 85 20vT International liveried RallyRep
      93 MTMS2 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by europeanme View Post
        really????....you would....

I must say I agree with Steve H and the attention these cars get even from "not so interested" members of the public at random places...they are something different on the roads compared to the usual "wind tunnel developed" hatchback - SUV - saloon - Estate - coupe (delete as applicable) we find ourselves sharing the roads with....

I suspect its a little bit of nostalgia which has driven the prices up of anything interesting from the last 20 or so years...
        My pal was working on an RS3 a few months back and it would tempt me until the point I had t swap keys then I would probably throw up and kick my self in the face and wake up

Comment

Just had a cracking drive into work in my S2. It is gleaming, although shows every hand print so closing doors etc is a nightmare!

Stretched its legs with my mates Dax Rush and the old S2 was able to show it a clean pair of heels, went down a B road with great poise and sure footedness.

Then looked mega at the other end when we pulled up for a chat but then when parked in generic work car park it just blended in. Didn't look old or new.

For me a great blend of everything and certainly doesn't look dated or quirky.

Comment

I see what people are saying, yes the S2 is no more & for it's time it is a very good package. Don't get me wrong put next to any 4 cylinder TT or V6/V8 S4 its a no brainer & I myself would choose S2 every time.

However, the launch of the TTRS changed everything on that front. It may be off a 'golf platform' but there is no escaping time & development.
            A golf platform of 20 years newer walks all over a 1980s B3 platform. Things such as body control, materials , engine technology & drivetrain have made quantum leaps in that time.
            An S2 also came off a production line just like any other car, it is only the RS2 that genuinely holds that uniqueness because of the Porsche connection. TTRS & RS3 aren't exactly common as muck also

The UrS4/UrS6 idea is nice in principle except these are also commanding a bit more also. I know a couple of people who were really interested in joining the Audi community only to be put off by the entry cost & opted for alternatives such as a Volvo T5 or Porsche Boxster.

In the case of the former, you get 99% of the experience for like 40% of the money & in the case of the latter its a step up in terms of driveability & handling.

Would people really rebuy their cars at current prices & then continue the upkeep from there? Or would they consider alternatives?

Comment

But... most classics cannot compare directly in handling and performance to modern cars... you don't buy a classic only for performance...

Would I pay 10k for an MG Metro? No. But someone did...

Look at the prices of 90s Fords...

An RS2 will be worth more than an S2, but the S2 is still desireable for what it is, what it was and for what people are willing to pay.

Would I rather have an RS2 over my S2 coupe? Not really. Unless I can sell it and buy something else... why? I don't like estate cars particularly, I hate the RS2 front bumper with a passion and the mirrors are the wrong shape...
              Edit: forgot the rear bumper. Don't like the reflector panel with the plate in the bumper below, much prefer clean bumper with plate between the lights...

There are plenty of classic 90s cars I would like, most of them I will never now be able to afford.......
              Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird Turbo....undergoing major changes.....
              S2 Coupe... bit easier off the line...
              '03 ZX12-R daily hack.... lots of nice bolt ons...

Comment

Originally posted by naim22 View Post
                I see what people are saying, yes the S2 is no more & for it's time it is a very good package. Don't get me wrong put next to any 4 cylinder TT or V6/V8 S4 its a no brainer & I myself would choose S2 every time.

However, the launch of the TTRS changed everything on that front. It may be off a 'golf platform' but there is no escaping time & development.
                A golf platform of 20 years newer walks all over a 1980s B3 platform. Things such as body control, materials , engine technology & drivetrain have made quantum leaps in that time.
                An S2 also came off a production line just like any other car, it is only the RS2 that genuinely holds that uniqueness because of the Porsche connection. TTRS & RS3 aren't exactly common as muck also

The UrS4/UrS6 idea is nice in principle except these are also commanding a bit more also. I know a couple of people who were really interested in joining the Audi community only to be put off by the entry cost & opted for alternatives such as a Volvo T5 or Porsche Boxster.

In the case of the former, you get 99% of the experience for like 40% of the money & in the case of the latter its a step up in terms of driveability & handling.

Would people really rebuy their cars at current prices & then continue the upkeep from there? Or would they consider alternatives?
                The new 5 pots and the classic 5 pots share two things only...same number of cylinders and the same basic warble. Apart from that nothing else i can see, therefore i cant see how you can put them side by side and say they are comparible. One has the benefit of 25 years of 'development' and one had its own cycle in period. If you want a new car, then why not get one. If you want something which is a classic with some dna to Those original quattros then the S2 is a good ticket. Given there are barely any for sale, seems people either hold onto them, or buy when they see one.
                sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

S2`s will increase in price as will all other classic cars, however the ones that will command a really good rise in value will be the low mileage standard cars that have not been messed around with, with stupid amounts of power, lowered with non standard suspension and massive hybrid turbo`s. As has been said before a car is only worth what someone has paid for it, I do see many people just trying it on with the price of a car for sale then they wonder why its been for sale for months, if you really want to sell it for what its worth just look around at others and see what they go for and aim it around that price and not to look then add another 5k on top just to try to get the max out of it.

If you really want good/big money for your classic then keep it original and keep the mileage as low as possible. If its been modified then there is no way you`re going to get back all that money back for buying and fitting all them pretty blue hoses or pink anodized blow off valves or gold coloured suspension springs. Personally I wouldn't even entertain anything that looks so chavvy, its just not for me.

Comment

Mine may be modified but I have pretty much all the original parts, which is nice
                    Cheers'en, AndyC
                    1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

Working...
                    X