curse of 6 6 6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• curse of 6 6 6

car has been running great recently, but a few days ago i ran over the road hole from hell just outside guildford. 2 feet long, 1 1/2 feet wide, 5 inches deep.

my troubles started when i bought the wheel tyre package back on 6th june 06, which was great till oct when i managed to split one of the nexen tyres, so changed all 4 at end of oct to goodyear F1's.

Everything fine till early dec, when during a tyre check discovered the rear pair were worn down to the indicators and needed changing

Only did 6 weeks easy driving, and discovered the rear tracking was out by 10mm

decided to change the rear pair last week after the tracking was re-set, then i bump on the hole from hell and damage the front tyre and wheel requiring all 4 tyres changed again. now on toyos t1-s

Thats 12 tyres on the car since 6/6/06 and 10,000 miles.

Am i cursed? Think i should write to the council an angry letter cos it is clearly a danger to road users, and costing me a fortune to put right. think suspension is a bit loose a well.

Brian
    Attached Files

the bent RS4 wheel. crack runs about 2 inches into wheel.
    Attached Files

Comment

Sorry for your unlucky run. What do we pay road tax again for?
      Chef

Comment

OMG thats terrible, you really have to try and claim from the council for that and please get the tracking checked again soon as poss or you'll be needing more tyres. Surrey roads really are absolutely awful aren't they..

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
        sigpic

Comment

Go to the local council website, there should be a place you can make a report about the pothole and details of how to register a complaint. Imagine if you hit that at speed on a motorbike?

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by newsh View Post
            Go to the local council website, there should be a place you can make a report about the pothole and details of how to register a complaint. Imagine if you hit that at speed on a motorbike?
            Im an ex biker and def reckon it would take a rider out.

What made it worse on the car was that the entry to the hole was shallow, and the full 5 inches or so drop was vertical on the exit.

Thats what did the damage to my car, and would flip a rider in the air for sure.

Will contact the council asap.

BTW the car doesnt pull to either side, but does feel a bit more vague than before. will get the tracking checked out tomorrow. it was laser alligned in jan so be interesting to see how much its changed. local tyre merchant rubs his hands evertime i turn up as im such a good and frequent customer.

Brian

Comment

this is a good way of getting something back from the council if there is more than one report of the same place they have to pay up ......anybody needing new wheels or got buckled ones kicking about???
              93 S2 Avant Parting
              91 URQ RR
              02 A4 tdi Avant

Comment

It could have snapped the bracket partly on the steering rack like mine which went 2 weeks ago
                Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.--:Albert Einstein

Comment

I have to say without doubt that Surrey's roads are the worst in the south. I was sad to move away from Haslemere but not for the roads, they were terrible. As for the A31 Hogs Back, considering that is a deathtrap and has a high accident rate, what's the solution been......better drainage? No, improved surface? No, working catseyes? Nooooooooooo just reduce the speed limit to 50mph and build two parking spots for the local plod to cash in on unfortunate motorists. That road has THE worst camber changes, flooding in heavy rain and tramlining from sunken tarmac, personally been witness to 2 serious accidents up there.

this country sucks...
                  sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by s2driveruk View Post
                    I have to say without doubt that Surrey's roads are the worst in the south. I was sad to move away from Haslemere but not for the roads, they were terrible. As for the A31 Hogs Back, considering that is a deathtrap and has a high accident rate, what's the solution been......better drainage? No, improved surface? No, working catseyes? Nooooooooooo just reduce the speed limit to 50mph and build two parking spots for the local plod to cash in on unfortunate motorists. That road has THE worst camber changes, flooding in heavy rain and tramlining from sunken tarmac, personally been witness to 2 serious accidents up there.

this country sucks...
                    That's interesting David, my Dad watched a woman spin 180deg in the second lane on the hogs back the other week...
                    The Perfectionist
                    sigpic
                    Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

Sorry to hear about your bend wheels and numerous sets of tyres Brian. As already stated, I would definitely make sure the council pick up the bill for your wheel, there is no way you should pay for it and it will teach them a lesson too.

Cheers,

Steve
                      The Perfectionist
                      sigpic
                      Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

I watched (from about 70ft behind) a 7.5t lorry leave the outside lane and plough into the trees/bushes in the middle of the central area between the two carriageways a while ago, guy was trapped but ok, said the front wheel had blown out after hitting a sunken drain he thought - I was just glad he was able to speak to me
                        sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by s2driveruk View Post
                          I watched (from about 70ft behind) a 7.5t lorry leave the outside lane and plough into the trees/bushes in the middle of the central area between the two carriageways a while ago, guy was trapped but ok, said the front wheel had blown out after hitting a sunken drain he thought - I was just glad he was able to speak to me
                          The Perfectionist
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Audi 80 View Post
                            Sorry to hear about your bend wheels and numerous sets of tyres Brian. As already stated, I would definitely make sure the council pick up the bill for your wheel, there is no way you should pay for it and it will teach them a lesson too.

Cheers,

Steve

I'm not too familiar with your country's laws and rules, but over here, in the potholes' kingdom, there are so many people bending their rims on them that the Montreal's city ain't paying for it anymore.

Even one morning, 15 cars got flat tires and bended rims on one single pothole..

It's mainly due to the weather (rain then cold) which break the poor asphalt and they just patch it quick so two weeks after, it's back again.

Hope you get some money for that seriously.. we pay enough taxes that we should be able to drive safely without breaking our cars.
                            '90 20vt Coupe Quattro
                            '02 S6 Avant

Comment

I hit a pothole like that a few years ago. I didn't realise the damage it caused, untill the rear end tried to overtake me going into the next corner at a little over 70 mph, as the tyre had deflated.
                              I put the spare wheel on and limped home. When I looked at the damaged wheel in the morning there was a dent accompanied with 2" long crack in the rim. I couldn't find another wheel the same style to replace it, so I had to buy 4 new ones.
                              SS

Comment

Working...
                              X