Cheap VAG COM cables- Any good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jamo View Post
    However that is not the purpose of this thread and your views whilst appreciated do deflect from the alternatives available.

To say it's a copy is unjustified, replica would be a better term.
    I'm afraid I can't agree with that at all. If you used an ebay/replica cable with a licensed version of VAG-COM that you paid for, then I would have no problem with that.

But the cables you are buying are copies of old versions of interfaces which act as licences and activate the software for you - which is illegal and defrauds Ross-Tech as a business and a very helpful person as an individual.

I'm not attempting to "deflect from the alternatives available." There aren't any alternatives.
    1994 Audi S2 Avant - in pieces
    2006 Skoda Octavia vRS 2.0TFSi - goes fast
    1985 Audi 90 quattro - is wet

Don't forget the East Midlands Meet -Last Tuesday of every month at 7:30pm just off M1 J28!![/COLOR]

Comment

Buy the the one mentioned by s2avant in this thread http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20252 from http://www.ecutool.com/
      Worthwhile registering for the tracking info or is it not much use anyway?
      David

'91 3B S2 Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by bram View Post
        The Alpha-bid dongle is not working for me. It works on an A4, but as soon as you put it on your S2 with the split cable for White and black plugs it does not receive any data from the car......
        Turn the connectors around and it will!
        Rob..
        94 RS2 Noggy,LHD,MTM map,18"cup 1s,245/35/18,Bilsteins,RS2 H&Rs,Cup splitter.
        87 UR 20v ABY
        97 S6 Avant
        96 A6 C4 2.5 TDI quattro avant,Ming,Wietec/eibach,chipped
        1967 Ford Mustang,Eleanor,460ci v8

Comment

Originally posted by shark_90 View Post
          I'm afraid I can't agree with that at all. If you used an ebay/replica cable with a licensed version of VAG-COM that you paid for, then I would have no problem with that.

But the cables you are buying are copies of old versions of interfaces which act as licences and activate the software for you - which is illegal and defrauds Ross-Tech as a business and a very helpful person as an individual.

I'm not attempting to "deflect from the alternatives available." There aren't any alternatives.
          That is your opinion thank you for sharing it with us but that is not the thread title or topic.

Comment

Originally posted by S2_Dave View Post
            Worthwhile registering for the tracking info or is it not much use anyway?
            I did but it's probably useless as I received the item before the tracking updated

Comment

I did but it's probably useless as I received the item before the tracking updated
              Cheers Jamo. I didn't bother. One 0405 ordered - good value, especially whilst our currency is strong against the dollar. It's about time I learnt how to use VAG-COM.
              David

'91 3B S2 Coupe

Comment

The only other bit of info of note is that the K line grounding sytem is not as robust as the serial ross tech or alpha bid units. This should only be of concern to people using a KKL or those that have the 'after market radio' issue.

Comment

Working...
                X