Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Picking up a B5 S4

Hi All,
    Well I don't even have my S2 back from paint yet but whilst it has been away I've been forming a plan and the first part of that plan is already in action.

I won a B5 S4 Avant on ebay yesterday. I'm told the gearbox is faulty so I will likely source a replacement but it does mean that the engine and box are already out of the vehicle.

I will be putting this back together and using it as my "daily" (when I'm not driving my wife's) for the forseeable so I'm looking for a few tips about what work I should do on the engine/box while they are still out of the car. I will definitely be replacing the cam belt, but is there any reason to replace the chains too? I believe these can get expensive so I don't want to mess unless there is an obvious weak spot. Does any other work spring to mind?

No pics as yet, the listing was rubbish and only had two photos and I'm still arranging the collection but as soon as it lands I'll be sure to update you.

P.S. I'm collecting the S2 from paint on Saturday (so I've been told...)

P.P.S this means I'll have to get around to selling my old daily which was a B7 2.0T Quattro. I'm sad because for ome reason I really, really loved driving this even though it was a non-sline auto. Hopefully the B5 will be just as smile-inducing

Valve cover seals and the gaskets for the cam gear housing, pcv system probably needs attention. Those are definitely nice jobs to do while you have the access!

Comment

Originally posted by 89 Coupe View Post
      Valve cover seals and the gaskets for the cam gear housing, pcv system probably needs attention. Those are definitely nice jobs to do while you have the access!
      Yeah, I've noticed that oil leaks seem to be the norm in these engines so I'll see how much I can sort out there.
      I'll take a look at the PCV system. Thanks for the tips!

Comment

Anything to do with the turbos.
        Wastegate actuator hoses, check for leaks.
        Check wastegates open at same pressure.

You can do the cam chains and actuators if needed with the engine in the car, if it doesn’t rattle on startup you’re good.

Obviously check clutch and DMF.
        Engine crankshaft oil seals.

Ditch the precats and AIS if it’s not been done already?

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
        sigpic

Comment

Working...
        X