urS4 & S6 KWE Intercooler upgrade!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• urS4 & S6 KWE Intercooler upgrade!?

Just came across this by accident. First time I've seen an upgraded intercooler for the S4/S6 that stays in the stock position. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts as to whether or not it's likely to make much difference, especially running RS2+ power as I am. I've always hated the idea of having to modify the bumper and/or lose the AC in order to fit a FMIC to the S4 so I'm quite interested in this alternative solution.

https://www.kwe-racing.de/Audi/Audi-...ml?language=en
    '93 S4 Avant now back on the road complete with new shiny go faster bits.

Correct me if I'm wrong but what I've heard is stock AAN intercooler starts to affect power after 400HP. So unless mad power I think stock is sufficient.
    '93 Audi 100 Avant - R.I.P
    '92 Audi UrS4 Avant - SOLD
    '93 Audi UrS4 Avant LPG

Comment

As far as i'm aware Janis a standard intercooler supporting more than approx 275 bhp will start to run out of cooling potential on constant spirited driving due to heat soak so for Rs2 power + you'll need a bigger intercooler Janis. If the air gets too hot going into turbo means less oxygen therefore less fuel burn = less power than you intended. From what i've read Carefull matching of an intercooler is more important than just size alone.

Hi Chris, Just measured an all Alloy Urs4 intercooler i have here and it measures 270 x 235 x 90 so it seams the KWE one at 270 x 230 x 100 is only very slightly bigger but they don't mention how much the flow is improved in their add just that it's a superior flow. My guess is as good as yours? ...................
      96 URS6 plus speck saloon
      96 URS6 plus speck estate
      94 2.6 80 Avant
      99 2.8 final edition Cabriolet

Comment

Yeah I have the original alloy intercooler on mine. Hard to believe that 10mm could make that much difference. I can see the benefit over the later IC with the plastic end tanks but I'd need more evidence before replacing my original cooler.
        '93 S4 Avant now back on the road complete with new shiny go faster bits.

Comment

KWE web site says it's the improved core is where the advantage is over the oem one, rather than size.

Only positive results from independent lab testing on a flow bench would be the best way to convince myself of the added benefit tbh given the similar size - your own opinion may differ to mine.

It's a pity that the 034 full frontal intercooler doesn't plug and play on the Euro spec UrS6 cars - ah well.

I don't want to cut my bumper or remove my air con radiator, guess I'll have to wait until I put in the shorter new TTRS 2.5L 07K engine in, in a few years.

Last edited by macspring; 5 February 2018, 23:20.

Comment

I don't know where I got that 400hp figure if I'm honest, can find anything to support it, probably dreamt it. if what you Mark saying is true, that means stage1+ map (280hp) you need an upgraded intercooler?
            '93 Audi 100 Avant - R.I.P
            '92 Audi UrS4 Avant - SOLD
            '93 Audi UrS4 Avant LPG

Comment

Originally posted by hunker7 View Post
              I don't know where I got that 400hp figure if I'm honest, can find anything to support it, probably dreamt it. if what you Mark saying is true, that means stage1+ map (280hp) you need an upgraded intercooler?
              I'd say so. Why does the RS2 have a bigger standard intercooler than the ABY? Must be needed otherwise they wouldn't have made it bigger.
              96 URS6 plus speck saloon
              96 URS6 plus speck estate
              94 2.6 80 Avant
              99 2.8 final edition Cabriolet

Comment

034 does have a euro spec bumper front mount
                kit. They just took it off there website along with
                many other products in recent years. They told
                me that if you contact them they can still sell you
                the front mount kit for euro spec bumpers.

Comment

You can also build the Wagner intercooler from the Opel Corsa D OPC into the C4. Should work very well.

408kw @ wheel

Comment

Originally posted by hunker7
                    Correct me if I'm wrong but what I've heard is stock AAN intercooler starts to affect power after 400HP. So unless mad power I think stock is sufficient.
                    I'm sure I read this somewhere before too, will have to have a search when I'm back on a pc.

Comment

This is all I could find, the gist being that with RS2 power levels a stock IC should be fine, 3071 + and an upgrade is sensible:
                      https://www.s2forum.com/forum/techni...an-improvement

Hardly a consensus but Dave does know his stuff.

Comment

Working...
                      X