20VT AAN which oil weight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 20VT AAN which oil weight

The previous owner used 10w60 Castrol as that is what was recommended from the engine builder

Opie oils recommend Fuchs 10w50

The forums recomend 10w40

Please help I'm lost

(the engine is running more boost + BHP)

I still run a 40 weight, running rs2 levels. Zero issues.

Comment

10W60 BARDAHL , no issues, but I change it twice a year - spring/autumn @ roughly 7000 km

Comment

Mobil 1 5/40 Turbo Diesel Truck is what I used to run.

Comment

which forums recommend 10/40?

Does rather depend on how you use your car, but many many people here use 10/50 Fuchs Titan Race (used to be called Silkolene)
          Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird Turbo....undergoing major changes.....
          S2 Coupe... bit easier off the line...
          '03 ZX12-R daily hack.... lots of nice bolt ons...

Comment

Originally posted by LHD_Kid
            which forums recommend 10/40?

Does rather depend on how you use your car, but many many people here use 10/50 Fuchs Titan Race (used to be called Silkolene)
            I use this.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
            sigpic

Comment

Personally I use Q8 10w50 F1.

Comment

I used to use 10W50 Fuchs but switched over to 10W50 Millers Nanodrive, cured some of my smoking issues. Haven't looked at any other oil since.
                1996 S2 ABY Silver

Comment

I'm using Motul 300V Competition 15W-50.
                  I'm happy with it but I don't use the car in winter time.
                  Audi S2 -1994 | 480 Hp 650 Nm | FlexFuel | MaxxECU | 3" Stainless | Porsche GT3 Front Brakes
                  http://www.garaget.org/?car=52877

Comment

Feel like I'm in the minority but I've been using Shell Rotella T6 5w40 summer and winter with fantastic results. Stock, but severe service
                    Find me on Instagram @pry4sno
                    2010 Golf Sportwagen TDI /// #farmenwagen
                    2002 Dodge Ram 2500 24v Cummins 4x4
                    1992 80q 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled
                    1990 Cq /// Project: Because Racecar

Comment

Castrol 5w 50.

Comment

Olive here, extra virgin of course

Comment

As long as your running an engine with stock clearances then oil weight is mostly dependant on the climate, for instance in Southern Europe you want to use a little thicker oil than if your running your car in Canada during the winter, If you running a heavily modified engine then use what your engine builder advises. The most important thing is to take advantage of modern oil technology and use a proper Ester based fully synthetic oil, that or use a decent semi synthetic and change it twice as often as heat from the turbo gives the oil a seriously hard time. Oil may look still clean but could be well past it's best, the molecular structure changes at very high operating temperatures and protection from additives breaks down. For example the temp sender doesn't tell you how hot it's briefly getting as it passes though the Turbos core or in the cylinder head, it only tells you how hot it is as it's flowing through the pump after being in the sump.

For really hot country's where it's always above 10 Celsius and often much hotter a 15W 50 or even a 20W 50 would be suitable, where as if you somewhere where it's often well bellow freezing you may want to consider a 5W 30 or 5W 40. In Britain where the temperature varies widely a 10W 40 or 10W 50 is ideal, personally I'm a fan of Fuchs Titan 10W 50 which I reckon is excellent stuff and use in my RS2.

I use 10W 40 VAG Quantum semi synthetic in my naturally aspirated cars as I consider it to be very good value for money and change it every 5K miles, bare in mind that the newest car I own is a 1997 C4 Saloon.

For more modern engines use whatever oil is specified by the manufacturer, this is critical in some cases! For example the PD engine is very sensitive to it's blood, use the wrong oil or forget to change it at your peril...the cam shaft will start to wear otherwise. Back when I was working full time as a mechanic I dealt with at least half a dozen PD engines that had serious cam wear, in all cases caused by owners being tight wads using cheap oil and filters or not changing it for well past the service interval.

As important is to always renew the filter at every change and to use a genuine or Mahle unit, their the same item, one just has the Audi logo on it.

High quality Ester based synthetics should last a year or 10K miles max, though personally I don't like going more than 7K miles between changes.

If your using a semi synthetic I would want to drop it out every 5K miles max, preferably half that on our cars if your using full boost often.

There's some really good info on the web written by oil engineer's. Google is your friend.

1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
                          1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
                          1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
                          1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

Always used Fuchs 10w50 in my S2 ABY and S6 with no complaints over the past 6 years. Worth spending extra on good oil for these old engines. I aim to change it every 5k miles or at least once a year.
                            1995 Audi S2 Avant

Comment

Fuchs Titan 10/50 for years with great results
                              91 Modded 3B
                              14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

Working...
                              X