S6 fuel leak from braided line from filter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S6 fuel leak from braided line from filter

Hoping someone can help with this issue. Changed the fuel filter and on start up I have a fuel leak from where the braided line from filter is joined to the solid line.

I must have stressed the joint when fitting the filter. It is quite loose and I can wiggle it a few millimetres but can't actually pull it off by hand.

So do I try and recrimp the existing clamp or will it need replaced?

Did a search and it seems to be an issue with these cars. I think audi will only sell the braided hose with banjo already attached to the solid line which runs under the car.

Obviously I'd rather avoid doing this and surely there must be a better way. Even if it means getting a different hose made.

Any help much appreciated. I will try and attach a couple of photos later
    1995 Audi S2 Avant

Cut the mettal and remove the old hose .. fit a new hose on the banjo ..

Comment

What's the best way to attach said new hose assuming I can get the old flesh removed?

Same people as the OP in this old thread. I'm not sure how it was solved in the end...
      https://www.s2forum.com/forum/techni...ipe-leak-yikes
      1995 Audi S2 Avant

Comment

I think i just took it apart from the car and sent to hose shop and said that i wanted a new one that can take fuel and alot of heat from a nearby turbo. It was 20-30 pound and have worked last 7 years. Think i reused the banjofittings and bought some connection. Can take a picture of it tomorrow
        1995 Audi S6 - AAN (~350hp)
        2008 BMW 530xd (235hp)
        2008 Hyundai i30 - 1.6 CRDI (89hp)
        2011 KTM 990 SMR - custom tuned (120whp)

Comment

Thanks that would be great
          1995 Audi S2 Avant

Comment

I think mine is weeping from the same area. I get a very strong smell of fuel in the cabin but only in very hot weather when sitting still. Am guessing something expands enough in the heat to leak. I don’t have a braided hose there - it’s a normal rubber fuel hose with crimps. Wasn’t this line subject to a recall that replaced the braided line with a rubber one? Or is it the other way around?

Comment

Hope these photos work

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Attached Files
              1995 Audi S2 Avant

Comment

Yeah mine is straight rubber with crimps. Pretty sure the recall swapped the braided line out for rubber, happy to be corrected though.

Comment

If it was a re call Audi will / should do it as its not been done. Maybe give them a call about it. Year ago my mates VW jetta heater matrix went he called for price off the parts and they told him it's on a recall and they did it for him three days later.

Comment

If it was a recall Audi will / should honor it. I'd call them see that they have to say. A friend who's heater matrix went on his Jetta call VW about the parts and they said it's on a recall bring it in we,ll do it for you. He was very happy.

Comment

Ahh that is worth a phone call to find out. It is spraying out a fair amount of fuel at the moment and I don't fancy driving it far
                      1995 Audi S2 Avant

Comment

It was a recall code 00V068000 well documented here http://car-and-safety.com/audi-s6-sa...20front%20pass

Comment

As far as I'm aware the recall was in the US only, there was never actually a recall here in the UK.
                          '93 S4 Avant now back on the road complete with new shiny go faster bits.

Comment

That’s entire possible as all the references to it are from US sources. It’s almost certainly a dealer job on my car though as it’s VAG hose and those use once clamps. There are no obvious leaks from it I wonder if mine is the braided hoses to and from the fuel rail. Those are documented as failing also.

Comment

Thanks for all the responses. My plan is to have a custom braided hose made. I'm guessing audi chose to use only a short length of flexi line and crimp it to the fixed metal line as braided hose is much more expensive.

I will have the full length made in braided, so it will be much easier to reroute it along the bulkhead.

I plan on cutting the fixed metal pipe and taking each end to the shop so they can get the exact size for the end fittings.

Question is, is it safe to cut these pipes with a pipe cutter on the car? I will run the car then pull the fuel pump fuse so the pressure is released first.

1995 Audi S2 Avant

Comment

Working...
                              X