Fuel Pipe Leak...........Yikes!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Pipe Leak...........Yikes!

Sorry if I have posted this message in the wrong place but I thought it would get the most response here

I have a leaking fuel pipe

The pipe in question is the braided steel fuel hose that comes out of the bottom of the Fuel Filter (fitted with a banjo bolt connector) and attaches to metal fuel line at the bulkhead.

This braided steel fuel hose is crimped onto the bulkhead fuel line and it is this connection that is leaking.

I have a bog standard fuel clamp tightened around the leaking connection and it seems to be stopping the leak but with the Wastegate, Turbo & Exhaust Manifold around this area it is not an ideal solution.

I don't know if the S2 is the same or similar as my S6 but can anybody advise me of a solution on how to go about fixing this fuel leak?

I think the only way to get the pipe off the bulkhead fuel line would be to carefully junior hacksaw the crimped section and maybe get a pipe made locally by someone like Pirtek or similar.

The big question would be how to refit/recrimp the new pipe to the bulkhead fuel line and who would do it etc.......liability issues due to it being a fuel pipe etc.

Or would high pressure rubber fuel injection hose and appropriate clamps be suitable? Maybe not because of the heat issues?

I have the part number of this Braided Pipe as 4A2 201 529C @ £45.00 plus VaT, but the Main Stealer thinks it could be a complete section of fuel line together with the crimped on Braided Steel Hose attached. If this is the case then it looks like maybe a Steering Rack & Gearbox Out job just for a lousy leaking fuel hose!

Any advise gratefully received.

Cheers

Dave
    1997 S6 Avant

I don't know if it's the same but my braided hoses have hollow nuts ( olives) connecting to the pipe. I can remove the pipe totally.

I have a coupe quattro 20v and not an S2.

I'd try to get one from a breaker. I have all sorts of clamps etc. but I like to be confident in any repair I do like that!

David

Comment

Beetie had a fuel leak on his S2, on a braided fuel hose. We ordered hose (which he still hasn't collected!) but whilst he was waiting for it I removed his leaking one and ground off the crimps where the braid is joined near the banjo and removed faulty pipe leaving me with 2 banjo's with pipes. I then attached a piece of black rubber fuel hose along with proper fuel hose clips and it hasn't leaked yet to my knowledge. Repair should take about 15 mins and cost a fiver in parts? May not look as pretty as braided stuff but it should get you back on the road.
      HTH
      Chris
      A6 Avant Tdi 110 because as the fuel prices keep going up I am so happy to be getting 649.8 miles to a tank of diesel!! (£50)

Comment

Top notch 'Team bodge' effort that was my mate! Still isn't leaking! Last time i went in the garage to see you a) you wern't there, and b) You couldnt find the hose in question!
        Was a '93 3B, Dont ask now tho......

Comment

Dave,

I've heard this a good few times before on Audi 100's and A6's so this seems to be 'normal' for this particular joint to fail. You've already answered all your own questions on this. Sounds like a crap job to do...

Part number sounds good to me, its only £34.78+vat from me, here's the diagram for it:
          Attached Files
          Martyn
          -------------------------------------

www.vagparts.com

Comment

Maybe Rob has lost it! I told him to leave it until the hose arrived but he insisted on me repairing it and I don't do repairs by halves so you got the monty! My pleasure!
            A6 Avant Tdi 110 because as the fuel prices keep going up I am so happy to be getting 649.8 miles to a tank of diesel!! (£50)

Comment

If I wasn't there is it any wonder I couldn't find the hose?

Comment

Originally posted by A6 AVANT
                If I wasn't there is it any wonder I couldn't find the hose?
                OK THEN! When you were there before and i'd 'popped' in!

Comment

You just gotta love this site!

Originally posted by Martynf
                  Dave,

I've heard this a good few times before on Audi 100's and A6's so this seems to be 'normal' for this particular joint to fail. You've already answered all your own questions on this. Sounds like a crap job to do...

Part number sounds good to me, its only £34.78+vat from me, here's the diagram for it:
                  Sh*T,

I appear to very good at answering my own questions

I presume that "a crap job to do" is because of my description of maybe removing the steering rack and gearbox could be right

And pardon my ignorance but I can buy this braided hose from your goodself

Tell me more!

Cheers

Dave
                  1997 S6 Avant

Comment

Rubbery Pipes!

Originally posted by A6 AVANT
                    Beetie had a fuel leak on his S2, on a braided fuel hose. We ordered hose (which he still hasn't collected!) but whilst he was waiting for it I removed his leaking one and ground off the crimps where the braid is joined near the banjo and removed faulty pipe leaving me with 2 banjo's with pipes. I then attached a piece of black rubber fuel hose along with proper fuel hose clips and it hasn't leaked yet to my knowledge. Repair should take about 15 mins and cost a fiver in parts? May not look as pretty as braided stuff but it should get you back on the road.
                    HTH
                    Chris
                    Uhmm,

Thought about this "Bob the Bodge" approach and I am just a little worried about the Heat Issues and Rubber Hose etc.

Apart from looking pretty, the braided hose is probably a lot safer by default around that area for obvious reasons but I certainly don't fancy ripping half the car apart for a losy 9" Long Pipe (and a bit more by the sound of it??)

Having said all that I don't fancy frying myself or losing the car in a petrol

The saga continues methinks.

Cheers

Dave
                    1997 S6 Avant

Comment

If you want i'll take some picks of mine tomorrow? If there was going to be any heat issues, mine would have had them as its just under the fuel injector rail, next to the cylinder head!
                      Originally posted by quattroboy
                      Uhmm,

Thought about this "Bob the Bodge" approach and I am just a little worried about the Heat Issues and Rubber Hose etc.

Apart from looking pretty, the braided hose is probably a lot safer by default around that area for obvious reasons but I certainly don't fancy ripping half the car apart for a losy 9" Long Pipe (and a bit more by the sound of it??)

Having said all that I don't fancy frying myself or losing the car in a petrol

The saga continues methinks.

Cheers

Dave

Comment

Piccys Please

Originally posted by Beetie
                        If you want i'll take some picks of mine tomorrow? If there was going to be any heat issues, mine would have had them as its just under the fuel injector rail, next to the cylinder head!
                        Yes,

That would be great if it isn't too much trouble

Thanks

Dave
                        1997 S6 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by quattroboy
                          Yes,

That would be great if it isn't too much trouble

Thanks

Dave
                          No prob, i'll get them done after work, they'll be on tomorrow afternoon.....

Comment

Where do people get those diagrams from and where can i get the software????

Sure my cars got a fuel leak, petrol station treat me like a gold card customer!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jamo
                              Where do people get those diagrams from and where can i get the software????

Sure my cars got a fuel leak, petrol station treat me like a gold card customer!!!
                              You can get copies of the FAMILY ALBUM! off ebay, although im sure someone could copy one for you
                              Not too sure aboout the newer software though....
                              Last edited by Beetie; 9 June 2004, 21:23.

Comment

Working...
                              X