Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If anybody would like to do so with a donation waiting please PM me

Comment

As a word of warning be careful posting about copies the E**A word on the forum. VAG frown on people using there software without paying a big fat subscription for it.

I think the term we're now using is family album.

@Jamo

you have a PM

Ben
      the best intentions are fraught with disappointment - gil grissom

sigpic
      1994 ABY Avant - it's getting there

Comment

Originally posted by s2avant
        As a word of warning be careful posting about copies the E**A word on the forum. VAG frown on people using there software without paying a big fat subscription for it.

I think the term we're now using is family album.

@Jamo

you have a PM

Ben
        Sorted
        Was a '93 3B, Dont ask now tho......

Comment

Originally posted by quattroboy
          Uhmm,

Thought about this "Bob the Bodge" approach and I am just a little worried about the Heat Issues and Rubber Hose etc.

Apart from looking pretty, the braided hose is probably a lot safer by default around that area for obvious reasons but I certainly don't fancy ripping half the car apart for a losy 9" Long Pipe (and a bit more by the sound of it??)

Having said all that I don't fancy frying myself or losing the car in a petrol

The saga continues methinks.

Cheers

Dave
          Dave, I think you and Beetie are on about different cars and different fuel hoses, Beetie's is on the lefthandside of his engine bay and if I am not mistaken yours is on the right hand side? Regarding the issue, Audi wouldn't put a fuel hose where it is likely to catch fire and I would have thought a chrome overbraid would hold heat in as well? If you use a suitably thick internally braided fuel hose and proper crimped fuel clips I would not have thought would be an issue. But.... not having seen your cars engine bay and the location of said leaking hose I would not want to guarantee you doing this repair. For the sake of £35 and a few hours and a loss of knuckles and temper and a visit to the hospital for a broken wrist because the bolt you needed to get to was only accessible with an extra joint!
          Is it worth going to the trouble of the repair?

The repair I did to Beetie's was a "proper job" and I did it making sure it was safe and wasn't going to leak! After all MY reputation was on the line! (And the loss of a mate after I flamed his car!! )

HTH
          Chris
          Last edited by A6 AVANT; 9 June 2004, 22:43.
          A6 Avant Tdi 110 because as the fuel prices keep going up I am so happy to be getting 649.8 miles to a tank of diesel!! (£50)

Comment

Originally posted by A6 AVANT
            Dave, I think you and Beetie are on about different cars and different fuel hoses, Beetie's is on the lefthandside of his engine bay and if I am not mistaken yours is on the right hand side?
            Our cars are indeed different, mine is an S6 although I think the Fuel Filter is in the same area on an S2 and other Audis?

The leaking pipe is on the left hand side of the engine bay as you look under the bonnet from the front bumper.

The pipe concerned is the braided steel hose that runs from the banjo bolt fixing from the bottom of the fuel filter to the fuel pipe on the firewall/bulkhead.

This firewall/bulkhead connection is the one that is leaking and it is a crimped joint probably by the factory while the car is being assembled.

I agree that for the sake of £35.00 plus Vat and a few hours knuckle grazing that it is a small price to pay for not losing yourself or your car in a fire..............but what a cr*ppy way of making a simple job hard........typical Audi I think! and I don't think it is a straight forward job as it sounds having looked under the bonnet at the pipe routing!

These fuel hose clips................do you need a special crimping tool or are we talking about the ones with a hex/slotted head bolt and captive type nut like you buy in 2 Packs from Halfrauds for about £1.50?

What diameter rubber fuel injection hose should be used for fixing a pipe onto the metal fuel line? or what did you use on Beeties car etc?

Need to sort this leak out so that can feel comfortable for the trip to Billing!

Thanks for more advise.

Cheers

Dave
            1997 S6 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by quattroboy
              Our cars are indeed different, mine is an S6 although I think the Fuel Filter is in the same area on an S2 and other Audis?

The leaking pipe is on the left hand side of the engine bay as you look under the bonnet from the front bumper.

The pipe concerned is the braided steel hose that runs from the banjo bolt fixing from the bottom of the fuel filter to the fuel pipe on the firewall/bulkhead.

This firewall/bulkhead connection is the one that is leaking and it is a crimped joint probably by the factory while the car is being assembled.

I agree that for the sake of £35.00 plus Vat and a few hours knuckle grazing that it is a small price to pay for not losing yourself or your car in a fire..............but what a cr*ppy way of making a simple job hard........typical Audi I think! and I don't think it is a straight forward job as it sounds having looked under the bonnet at the pipe routing!

These fuel hose clips................do you need a special crimping tool or are we talking about the ones with a hex/slotted head bolt and captive type nut like you buy in 2 Packs from Halfrauds for about £1.50?

What diameter rubber fuel injection hose should be used for fixing a pipe onto the metal fuel line? or what did you use on Beeties car etc?

Need to sort this leak out so that can feel comfortable for the trip to Billing!

Thanks for more advise.

Cheers

Dave
              Dave, Fuel hoses are in different place, Beetie's is/was on the right hand side of the engine bay as you stand at the front looking at the engine.
              I have normally found German and Japanese engined cars to be very methodically put together but as with all high performance vehicles, they add larger engines and put on little extras like turbo's and intercoolers etc. making the working space smaller.
              I am unsure of the exact size of the hose (but 3/8" diameter rings a bell) used as we keep various sizes in stock at my work in rolls and I just ground Beetie's leaking hose off to reveal the connectors and matched it up to a suitable hose diameter. I was able to do this off the car when the hose was empty and risk of fire minimal/non existent. I would imagine you would have to be very careful if doing this on the car.
              The hose clips in question are not of the "jubilee clip" type but a round metal clip with 2 raised sections that allow you to crimp them causing pipe to be clamped very tightly.No special tool as such required, just a decent pair of cutters/pliers. If you managed to remove the faulty section of pipe and took a cross section to a good quality motorshop/factors they should be able to match it up and supply you a length.
              Shame you are not closer or I would suggest you popped in and I would have had a look for you.
              HTH
              Chris
              A6 Avant Tdi 110 because as the fuel prices keep going up I am so happy to be getting 649.8 miles to a tank of diesel!! (£50)

Comment

Thanks for 'grinding my leaking hose'!

Comment

Originally posted by Beetie
                  Thanks for 'grinding my leaking hose'!
                  I ground the crimped unions when the pipe was OFF the car! OKAY?

Is your mum pleased her car passed it's MOT? I even delivered it back! Didn't know your brother has joined the police force? Will he let you off if he catches you speeding?

Comment

Originally posted by A6 AVANT
                    I ground the crimped unions when the pipe was OFF the car! OKAY?

Is your mum pleased her car passed it's MOT? I even delivered it back! Didn't know your brother has joined the police force? Will he let you off if he catches you speeding?
                    A) didnt know the old gals car was in for an mot.
                    B) He should do (if he can catch me in his focus )

Comment

Originally posted by Beetie
                      A) didnt know the old gals car was in for an mot.
                      B) He should do (if he can catch me in his focus )
                      Trouble is, they are fasing out Focuses for Octavia VRS'S!!!! So he may be able to catch you!!!
                      out PC plod is about!

Comment

Working...
                      X