• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1997 S6 Timing Belt change

Hi all,

Can you tell me how often the timing and aux belts should be changed
    on my trusty S6, please? Every 5 years/ 40,000 miles rings a bell but
    then at my age anything is possible - like Mark's missing radio offer!!

Also, this car has a little bit more oomph than the standard S6 at 305bhp -
    will the standard belts suffice?

Muchos thanks,

Craig
    1997 Audi S6 - The Purple Helmet!

Get yourself a Gates belt,defo every 5 years but up to 60K miles i think? So every
    3 years for you. Reckon your the highest mile user out there over all of us.

Ref belt someone will be along with a link.Off to Olivers school now for parents evening.
    96 URS6 plus speck saloon
    96 URS6 plus speck estate
    94 2.6 80 Avant
    99 2.8 final edition Cabriolet

Comment

I think its every 80k miles on an Audi, but i stick to 5 years or 60k miles for any car, you could argue for doing it sooner for cars that spend a lot of time sitting idling in traffic.
      91CQ20v - Gone to a new home
      93UR-S4 - The Magic Carpet
      94S2Bus - The Emerald Express

Comment

UrS AAN timing belt Re & Re info

Originally posted by geneandbolly View Post
        Hi all, Can you tell me how often the timing and aux belts should be changedon my trusty S6, please? Every 5 years/ 40,000 miles rings a bell but then at my age anything is possible
        First read this:

http://12v.org/urs/FredMsTimingBeltR&RDIY.pdf

Then find the tools you need, including the 3256 and 2079:

As for belts, 305 hp (?) (How do you get 305 hp? not off a stock K24-7000 even chipped), you are fine with the standard belt. My UrS4 is fully RS2'd plus MRC RS2 plus tuning to 360 crank hp (since 2004) and the stock 054109119H belt is just fine.

Unfortunately, 054109119H might be NLA. In which case, you need to go for a Gates:

AAN and ABY = 054109119H 151 tooth timing belt. (151 Z in Katespeak)

OE:

After Market:

Gates PowerGrip 5269XS (151 tooth x 19 mm wide) (presumably the same as the OE product, just in a different package):

Photo courtesy of "Moggie" on the S2Forum
        RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
        94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

I wouldn't bother with the 2079. It only works if the car is on a lift.

Official Audi speak at the time was 80k miles. I replace mine every 5 years regardless of miles
          Mike

http://www.s2-audi.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Mikes2 View Post
            I wouldn't bother with the 2079. It only works if the car is on a lift.
            That's odd. I did my timing belt in my 1942 12 x 20 x 7 ft ceiling height single car garage and didn't have lift, yet I used the 2079 (with a 3/4" drive torque wrench). I must have been lucky. No wait. I just followed the DIY the link to which I posted above.

RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
            94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

Anyway chaps i think your all missing the point Craig won't be doing it his mechanic will.
              94 2.6 80 Avant

Comment

In that case make sure his mechanic knows that using the crank locking tool it mandatory, and personally i would always replace the bottom belt pulley if you have it off. ....and the water pump.

Comment

You have to change 034105263a. My was cracked. That is most important thing.
                  1-2-4-5-3

Comment

Originally posted by igor136 View Post
                    You have to change 034105263a. My was cracked. That is most important thing.
                    Or get a billet one from terrybullwon and don't replace it ever again. Works a treat and is a great investment.

Comment

Originally posted by Vorsprung durch Technik View Post
                      Anyway chaps i think your all missing the point Craig won't be doing it his mechanic will.
                      Absolutely! And it won't be the local Audi mob as they provisionally want £695 for replacing the timing belt alone!!!

The belt and tensioner etc was last replaced in 2013 at 69,000 miles, so judging by your comments then I could leave it another year at least?? Then again, as Mark says, this Helmet doesn't ever sit still for long!!

Prof, you're correct as per usual - checking the original invoice, the correct rate is 303bhp, not 305bhp - I forgot how strong those glasses of your's are!

Anyway, what's two horses between a couple of old nags . . .

Comment

Originally posted by geneandbolly View Post
                        Absolutely! And it won't be the local Audi mob as they provisionally want £695 for replacing the timing belt alone!!!
                        For £695 i will fly over and do it for you

Comment

What about servicing, valleting and sticking an aux belt on for that money, too??!

I asked the young service guy if he blushed when he mentioned the price!!

Comment

They quoted you that as they've never done one and it will be a learning curve for them. I'd find another fitter with experience. Just my 2c
                            Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                            Indigo ABY coupé
                            Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Are you not using Iolair up there what was his price?
                              94 2.6 80 Avant

Comment

Working...
                              X