1997 S6 Timing Belt change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by geneandbolly View Post
    Prof, you're correct as per usual - checking the original invoice, the correct rate is 303bhp, not 305bhp - I forgot how strong those glasses of your's are!
    So your UrS6 has MTM goodies from QST?

RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
    94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

Originally posted by Error404 View Post
      They quoted you that as they've never done one and it will be a learning curve for them. I'd find another fitter with experience. Just my 2c
      You're dead right there - he even said they didn't have the crank locking tool!

Prof - the mods were done by Kim Collins and yes, that's the conversion indeed.
      I'm not sure I'd want any more power than that on these roads - it gets hairy enough
      sometimes as it is!!

Yup, I will ask James when it comes time, Mark - he knows them inside out.

1997 Audi S6 - The Purple Helmet!

Comment

Originally posted by geneandbolly View Post

Yup, I will ask James when it comes time, Mark - he knows them inside out.

Yes, i doubt there's a more passionate or knowledgable Audi Freek than James.
        96 URS6 plus speck saloon
        96 URS6 plus speck estate
        94 2.6 80 Avant
        99 2.8 final edition Cabriolet

Comment

Timing belt

Recently did the timing belt on my S2. You need the front bumper and the intercooler off to gain access, but was less of a hassle than I expected, as none of the bolts were rusted up. Biggest problem is the crank pulley holding tool and the fact that the bolt needs torquing up to 450NMand even with a 3/4" sq drive wrench, means you need most of your weight on it. I got a Gates belt from the local motor accessory shop, ordered and there next day. 650 is probably about right from an Audi dealer at 100+ per hour these days, but a ripoff just the same, imho.

Mine was well overdue at ~85K, when the change interval is 60K, but nothing much visibly wrong with it, other than a bit grotty looking. Never heard of an Audi timing belt break though, so probably plenty of margin in the recommended figure...

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by Tridac View Post
            Recently did the timing belt on my S2. You need the front bumper and the intercooler off to gain access, ...Chris
            The bumper also has to come off on a C4 UrS but the side mount intercooler is fine. If you've added a FMIC, it will have to come off to allow the radiator and A/C condensor to be pivoted out from the left end (right end facing the car). The A/C connections do NOT have to be disconnected.

RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
            94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

Working...
            X