Poor running 7A (in my cabriolet)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poor running 7A (in my cabriolet)

Looking for help with my 7A swapped cabriolet.

Issues:
    'Zero' power, at least less than a 10V
    Strong unburned fuel smell
    Will not rev on WOT
    Black spark plugs
    Hesitates while driving at a constant speed

Small video of said issue, does not want to rev:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPE2...ature=youtu.be

Spark plugs:
    20245965_450365182000401_5312670553815670555_n.jpg?oh=2ca1c601e7c0b84f24170a3385aef26f&oe=5A279FD6.jpg

Checked and replaced so far:
    MAF looks new to me but that may not mean anything
    Lambda probe replaced
    Knock sensors replaced and torqued to 10Nm as it's the screw in type, not with a bolt
    Timing checked and belt renewed
    Rotor and cap are as new
    Throttle body incl. potentiometer replaced

Just read this morning about a guy with the supposedly the same issue and after installing a new adjustable fuel pressure regulator it was all good, could that be the issue?

Cant you pull fault codes on a 7A?

Comment

Yes you can, just ordered a new OBD cable as I couldn't find my old one, but can't find the connectors in the car. Not in the fuse box, neither in the footwell area below the steering column.

Comment

As from the photo then also you would need to put the heatshield on, it gives negative effect to air in intake when engine iheats up.

Also did you put in correct knock sensors? Were they in 100% running order? As the OEM ones can't be bought new so just good second hand is the only option.

One of mine did the same when knock sensors were dead, it didn't go higher then 5k, sometimes 4k, was horrible. Also is the ignition dizzy put in correctly?

Comment

Fitted the heatshield as well, bought that and the knocksensors from Aleksander on here, according to him they were in good working order. Think the former owner replaced the knock sensors as well as there was something written on the ones that were fitted to the engine. Checked dizzy timing and it's good, there is some axial play on the shaft though.

Still no sign of the black and white diagnose connectors ​​​​​​​

Comment

Those plugs I have seen under steering wheels plastic cover thats attached to dashboard in loom and by fuse box.

Comment

Indeed and that is where I'm searching for them but nothing so far.

Comment

It might be worth checking the throttle position plug under the throttle housing, that and the coolant sensor on the back of the head get hot and hotter still with no shield. One of mine melted and stopped TPS signal getting to ecu...

Comment

Take the drivers parcel shelf out, you will find them under there...

Comment

Originally posted by steve briance View Post
                    It might be worth checking the throttle position plug under the throttle housing, that and the coolant sensor on the back of the head get hot and hotter still with no shield. One of mine melted and stopped TPS signal getting to ecu...
                    Heat shield has been fitted and thottle body incl. potentiometer changed, no difference whatsoever.

Comment

Originally posted by Bowie69 View Post
                      Take the drivers parcel shelf out, you will find them under there...
                      No I won't.. been looking for at least half an hour, remember the engine is not original in this car.

Comment

Found the engine fuses somewhere and brought it back up in the fuse box.

IMG_20170903_171854384 (Kopie).jpg

What a mess, lots of connectors but not the ones I'm looking for.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Are the K and L terminals in the fuse box? Thats all you need and a 12v and ground.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                          sigpic

Comment

I think that's the ones I've been looking for? They were in the drivers footwell on my S2 3B, not on this car though.

Comment

You've misunderstood
                              The black and white plugs are wired to a pair of screw terminals in the fuse box.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X