The newsh cabby thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The newsh cabby thread

Right so I'm going to help my son fix his girlfriend's cabriolet up. We have a few issues to address, the electric roof doesn't work, sometimes the horn will sound when the car is started or apparently when it's switched off! The battery had to be disconnected the other day to stop this from happening. After leaving it a few days the battery was re-connected and they drove it here without incident so I'm wondering if it was just cos the battery went really low and disconnecting it has re-set things. She's had some locking and other issues which could be down to a broken driver's door loom so we'll be looking at that. Oh, and interior lights going on and off..
    I've already asked some questions about the hood in Lee's thread here.

http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthr...ght=cabby+hood

I will try and read the hood in Vagcom.

So where is the Vagcom connection in the cabby, 2x2 connectors in the fuse box or multipin in the car?

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
    sigpic

2x2 in the fuse box...

First stop if you have any roof issues are the boot loom wires. Cut the outer casing and check each wire as often it looks fine but the wires are broken inside due to the constant flexing. Make sure there is hydraulic fluid in the reservoir as well, not often they leak but stranger things have happened.

Oh yes and make sure the handbrake switch is working and the dash light comes on as they often pack up and the roof won't open if it doesn't think the handbrake is pulled on.

Good luck
    Andy

Comment

Other issues that I have had with mine - faulty brake peddal switch, so the lights came on when the outside temp dropped (normally in the middle of the night) resulting in a flat battery in the morning. Ignition switch, worn so that even when you turn it off and remove the key the power is still on. The boot wiring looms - not had to do but a bit of a faff.
      Andrew
      Witham St Hughs, Lincolnshire
      • 1998 Audi Cabriolet 2.6 V6
      • 1995 Audi Quattro Coupe 2.8 V6 FOR SALE
      • 2011 Vauxhall Insignia 2.0 CDTi

Comment

Haven't read the other thread so sorry if this has been covered.

The hood won't work without the boot being locked manually with the key I have quite often found. If that doesn't work then the sensor that signals that the boot is locked might be faulty. This is only really relevant if the hood fails at the first stage. At what point does it not work?

Comment

Colesy is right - mine won't work unless the boot is locked. Can be a real pain in the **** if the roof is down, you park up and lock up then open and close the boot a few times. When you get home and try and get the flap to release to put the roof back up the sodding thing won't open etc.
          Andrew
          Witham St Hughs, Lincolnshire
          • 1998 Audi Cabriolet 2.6 V6
          • 1995 Audi Quattro Coupe 2.8 V6 FOR SALE
          • 2011 Vauxhall Insignia 2.0 CDTi

Comment

Originally posted by Colesy
            Haven't read the other thread so sorry if this has been covered.

The hood won't work without the boot being locked manually with the key I have quite often found. If that doesn't work then the sensor that signals that the boot is locked might be faulty. This is only really relevant if the hood fails at the first stage. At what point does it not work?
            Reviving this thread!
            The car is still going fine but still haven't got the roof working. It now opens to the point where the hood goes back halfway and the hatch opens a couple of inches but no further. I checked the reservoir for fluid level which was just below max but that was with the roof up, I just read that the roof should be down and stowed to read the level.
            Can I manually fold the roof back into the cubby hole so I can open the boot to check the level?

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by newsh

Reviving this thread!
              The car is still going fine but still haven't got the roof working. It now opens to the point where the hood goes back halfway and the hatch opens a couple of inches but no further. I checked the reservoir for fluid level which was just below max but that was with the roof up, I just read that the roof should be down and stowed to read the level.
              Can I manually fold the roof back into the cubby hole so I can open the boot to check the level?
              bump

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

I just took delivery of a 97 US spec 2.8 cabrio - it has a similar issue with the top. Former owners mechanic troubleshot it to a sticking N88 Solenoid on the top pump..
                Peter S

1990 ErsatzS2 - track toy
                1991 Coupe Quattro
                1991 Coupe Quattro
                1995 S6 Sedan
                1995 S6 Wagon

Comment

adding to this relatively dormant thread - if you are having issues with the cabriolet automatic top partially or not working at all, and the pump has sufficient fluid, take the time to check the right chassis side ( driver in the UK) trunk harness that goes to the trunk lock, latch, and locking solenoid. There are repair harnesses available from Metzger and other suppliers. I swapped trunks with harnesses and went from partially working to totally non working power top. I decided to pull the right side harness out of the old trunk, bypassed the installed harness and just connected it ...and voila, first time in my ownership the top will fully cycle. https://www.ebay.com/itm/164281597362 bonus is that it comes with new rubber grommets
                  AUDI CABRIOLET (8G7, B4) 1.8 01/1997 -. AUDI CABRIOLET (8G7, B4) 1.9 TDI 06/1995 -. AUDI CABRIOLET (8G7, B4) 2.0 E 01/1993 -. AUDI CABRIOLET (8G7, B4) 2.3 E 05/1991 -. AUDI CABRIOLET (8G7, B4) 2.6 06/1993 -.
                  Peter S

1990 ErsatzS2 - track toy
                  1991 Coupe Quattro
                  1991 Coupe Quattro
                  1995 S6 Sedan
                  1995 S6 Wagon

Comment

Mine was damaged due to a rude driveway and I was unable to find the OEM part. The best I came up with was this: https://autowikius.com/. It was a loittle more than I wanted to spend, but the car looks much better overall.

Comment

Working...
                    X