Tell me about the S4/S4 avant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tell me about the S4/S4 avant

Always had a soft spot for these V8's and attention being drawn more and more towards actually getting one. I'm not sure it will displace the S2 but might give me some time and options to work on it a little more for track day fun.

Any gotcha's and must check items? Wll be looking at (likely) an avant and the 6spd manual versions.
    sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

B6?
    Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
    Sold ABY-stock

Comment

You need to be more specific. Otherwise I would assume you mean the C4 S4 V8 like my avant.

RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
      94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

Originally posted by UrS4boy View Post
        You need to be more specific. Otherwise I would assume you mean the C4 S4 V8 like my avant.

...which would be the wise choice.
        '93 Audi 100 Avant - R.I.P
        '92 Audi UrS4 Avant - SOLD
        '93 Audi UrS4 Avant LPG

Comment

B6
          sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

There's an "interesting" article by Jalopnik but I can't possibly know how true that is as I haven't ever owned such a car.
            http://jalopnik.com/here-s-why-the-v...car-1676466510

Comment

Good link that Hhmmmmm

This bit really rams it home.

As a Audi tech it still surprises me the amounts of money these idiot owners spend on their "rare" pieces of ****. And boy am I glad they do.

96 URS6 plus speck saloon
              96 URS6 plus speck estate
              94 2.6 80 Avant
              99 2.8 final edition Cabriolet

Comment

Modern car = lots of plastic bits to fail and a wiring diagram so complicated the electrons dont fully understand it
                91CQ20v - Gone to a new home
                93UR-S4 - The Magic Carpet
                94S2Bus - The Emerald Express

Comment

David...
                  Wheres Error...

I think the main issue on these is the cam chain rattle on start up.... Should be approx .5 second ish
                  Trouble is they are dry until engine started, and the oil pumped round and lubricated. You would theoretically also be better with one that has had regular servicing/oil changes, rather than being on variable/20k.... Being at the bulkhead end, it's a complete engine out job to do and therefore a "biggy"

Auxiliary radiators are low down and pick up crud, ones that are replaced would be good.

Make sure air con works, as a pig to change compressor, as I understand.

Windscreen wiper mechanism can seize - strip down and copper slip up.

Obviously quite juicy - but so is a modded S2 , but with a milltek on, have a glorious soundtrack....

I've seriously considered one, and still yet might do.

Comment

had a glass of wine and that article is sobering...yet still not put me off one
                    sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

I'm thinking about a B7 saloon, probably the RS4 but they're really boring to drive, you have the rev the nuts off them so would need to fit a supercharger

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by s2driveruk View Post
                        had a glass of wine and that article is sobering...yet still not put me off one
                        You sure you had just a glass of wine and not the entire bottle?

Comment

Originally posted by purplelion77 View Post
                          You sure you had just a glass of wine and not the entire bottle?
                          more my usual style to be fair
                          sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

as mentioned, the rear chain setup on these is a HUGE job if/when the tensioners fail. they are made of cheap plastic, they crack, and then loose tension, then the timing goes out and your in all sorts of trouble. a friend had this and cam/crank synchronisation went out so car would not run.

he had a friend mechanic do the job, using audi parts. the parts to do the job properly were extortionate. and the labur to have engine out, do the chains and put it all back together again was also expensive even at local garage £50 an hour rates.

I think the parts were £3.5k ish, and around £1500 in labour.

if I was buying one, I wouldn't buy anything that hasn't had that bill already paid! otherwise you could be in for a world of pain.

this chap bought the car for 10k on finance, 18 months later the chains failed, the car had depreciated to around £6k, he then spent another 5k to fix it, and then sold it for 6k. lost 11k on it in 18months including interest on loan.

Comment

JHM do timing service kits with uprated parts.
                              Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
                              Sold ABY-stock

Comment

Working...
                              X