Mer - That wonder polish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mer - That wonder polish

I've always been sceptical of these wonder polishes and sealants, but I tried it on the Allroad at the weekend for the 1st time to keep out the weather and I must say I'm very very impressed with the results.

I treated it first with AutoGlym super resin (the red bottle stuff) and needed some tar spot remover before that, but it looks great. Goes on really quickly (after time invested in the AG treatment).

Also used it to seal the aluminum door strips which I treated with AG metal polish and a funky blue coloured American compound that the Mustang used to love. Those alloy door strips tarnish badly with road salt and schtuff, but they almost look like new now.

Dunno when I'll find a whole morning to treat the S2 to the same loving polish, but such is life...

Paul
    Paul Nugent
    Webmaster http://S2central.net
    Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
    2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
    2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

I didn't think much to Mer myself, the Meguirs woked better for me.

I'm going to get a Porter from the US when I have the spare cash.
    acidtrax

Comment

Originally posted by Bibby
      the Meguirs woked better for me.
      Having used many different things over the years I would agree totally with you. While it isn't cheap, as you need different products to achieve tasks, Meguires is by far the best product I have ever used to date, that is available off the shelf.
      Corey
      01636 822288

Comment

Never tried Meguirs - I've always been an AutoGlym fan until someone convinced me to try Mer as a finishing touch.

Paul
        Paul Nugent

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

A damn good upper body workout when you do the Meguiars 3-step, I must say. And it sure as hell looks nice. I did one panel in an evening as a "test" prior to treating the whole car, and got asked if I'd had the panel resprayed!
          AUDI - saving Dad's from minivans since 1994

Comment

Meguiars Meguiars Meguiars. That's all you need to know. (nearly )
            The Perfectionist
            sigpic
            Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

The Mer shampoo is amazing.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
              sigpic

Comment

I bought some Mer polish and some leather polish/cleaner..
                It does the job but nothing amazing...
                Did read on some sight that Mer is supposed to be the dogs ********...
                But i'm not 100% sure...

Will give Meguiars a try next time round
                91 S2 coupé - RIP
                98 S8 - Luxury barge

Comment

I haven't tried the NXT but the Gold Class seems to work well, and it smells nice too.
                  acidtrax

Comment

I don't rate mer myself, i use autoglym the one in the black coulured bottle followed by A Glaze (used by BA on their aircraft).

Iain

Comment

Originally posted by Bibby
                      I haven't tried the NXT but the Gold Class seems to work well, and it smells nice too.
                      NXT is miles better than gold class IMO and others... Give it a go!
                      The Perfectionist
                      sigpic
                      Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

WTF is NXT ?

I'm no car polish freak by the way - life is too short and they are meant to be driven. I know the Autoglym family well enough, but all these various Meguirs products mean nothing. I just need something that achieves a good result in limited time - even if its a bit more expensive as time is the limiting factor.

Paul
                        Paul Nugent

Comment

The Meguiars is quick and easy to apply and remove Paul, no dust like the Autoglym.

NXT is one of their other products along with the Gold Class.
                          acidtrax

Comment

Meguiars is def excellent stuff, i always used Autoglym before but thought i'd try Meguiars and its def better stuff! Without a doubt.

Its prob a lil more expensive on face value, but things like the shampoo etc, if you use the correct amounts it lasts for a long long time so isnt that bad at all.
                            Ant

2007 Mk5 Golf GTi, 3 door, DSG, REVO Stg 2 and other goodies
                            2011 Kawasaki Z1000

Comment

Meguiars for me too Prefer Gold Glass to NXT though.

Karlos ? you still using shaving foam to shine your tyres up

Jas
                              2001 Avus Silver B5 RS4.
                              2004 A4 Avant 1.8T quattro Sport-LE.
                              1995 S2 Coupe - sold (sniff)

Comment

Working...
                              X