Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Flakey Paint

Hi Clean Freaks

Is there a way to remove old flakey paint from the bottom part of the front bumper. It looks like someone has tried to paint it previously and maybe used the wrong primer. It has started to flake and lift in certain patches. I have had the jet washer on it today at close range with a very small nozzle. This has brought quite a bit off.

Is there any way to get the rest off? Chemical? Heat Gun

Any advice would be great
    Mark

Race Clio RS197

S2 Coupe ABY (Green) - RIP
    S2 Coupe ABY (Blue) - Sold

air blower works well
    NOT a car dealer! just an S2/RS2 enthusiast

Comment

hammer and chisel?
      Volcano ABY coupe

Ant

Comment

Wire brush and Detol?

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
        sigpic

Comment

I have used a soft brass brush to take paint of the lower part of the bumper without damaging the pumper, depends how flaky the pain is though.
          Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
          Sold ABY-stock

Comment

Nitromors and washing with lots of water, worked fine on mine but you will need to use some vinyl paint on it after cos it'll look faded and messy

Comment

The Wife....
              85 WR Urquattro, 85 20vT International liveried RallyRep
              93 MTMS2 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Simmonds View Post
                The Wife....
                Lol. Luckily I married a petrol head chick, so she is generally out there with me anywho.

Can I nitromors, wash and dry, then use a heat gun to lift the oils back into the plastic as if it were faded?

Will try the brass brush, but I think some areas will be an issue
                Mark

Race Clio RS197

S2 Coupe ABY (Green) - RIP
                S2 Coupe ABY (Blue) - Sold

Comment

Theres different types of nitromors, you want the one in the green can, not the yellow one. The nitromors will leave a whitish/greyish stain no matter how much you wash it so I'm not sure the heat gun trick will work. Try some kind of stuff like halfords vinyl dye to black it up again, worked perfect on mine.

Comment

If you can get to a workshop that has compressed air line, use an air blower very close to the paint and it should lift up any paint thats not 100% taken to the panel. That works well in our bodyshop. They should of use plastic primer if they wanted paint to stick to plastic. Grab a can of plastic primer, one coat and then paint away.

Comment

Working...
                    X