What diesel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What diesel?

Guys.... maybe starting a new job over the next few months that will require a 30mile journey each way.

No way can I afford to use the S2 for a regular journey like that, so I will be selling my land rover to make way for a cheap diesel.

What do you guys recommend? It needs to be cheap on fuel, cheap on insurance, cheap for parts, and be reliable. I don't want to spend more than £600-700 if I am honest...
    '93 S2 Coupe

something french and light 106 / 205 etc etc
    sigpic

Comment

Standard answer is an Audi 80 TDi, or you could get a VW diesel - put your criteria into Ebay / Autotrader and see what comes back.
      If you don't go for the popular types Golf / Polo you can get a bargain i.e. vento / passat etc.
      Remember that the VAG cars will run on "biodiesel" and you are allowed to use 2500litres a year without paying tax on it.
      Kingdoms are run by Kings, Dictatorships are run by Dictators.
      England must be a Country. :mischeif:

Comment

Couple of options spring to mind -

1994-ish Audi 80 1.9 TD - fairly low tech diesel but reliable. Not as economical as more recent.

1997-ish Polo 1.9TDi - same engine as Audi A4 - higher tech, great mileage

Either of these are in that money. Both available as Saloon or Avant. I'm quietly looking for either to come up locally - missed a Polo couple of weeks back.

Other options costing a bit more but giving more fun would be the 2.5TDi quattro on the A6 - I5 engine, 6-spd 01E - 140mph or 40mpg - you decide....
        Paul Nugent
        Webmaster http://S2central.net
        Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
        2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
        2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Originally posted by S-Express View Post
          something french and light 106 / 205 etc etc
          No nay never - are you on the right forum - LOL
          Paul Nugent
          Webmaster http://S2central.net
          Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
          2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
          2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Join the club.

The Golf has gone, and I am now in the market for an oil burner. It will either be a really cheap one or I will splash out on TDI 130 Passat on an '02 or '03 plate....

Cheers,

Steve
            The Perfectionist
            sigpic
            Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

Hmm I like the idea of sticking with VAG.....

Roughly, what MPG will the 80 TD Achieve? An avant would be handy.....
              '93 S2 Coupe

Comment

Pug 306 hdi d turbo, 90 bhp standard chip it and you get 120 ish, i love my wife's 306 great fun little car and returns excellent fuel figures

iain

Comment

Originally posted by S2central.net View Post
                  Other options costing a bit more but giving more fun would be the 2.5TDi quattro on the A6 - I5 engine, 6-spd 01E - 140mph or 40mpg - you decide....
                  Do I remember correctly that there was a potential issue with the gearbox on a 2.5TDi?

Comment

I looked a LOT last year for a german diesel in this price bracket and decent ones in serviceable condition are like hens teeth. you are looking upwards of £1k at least before you'll find a straight one IMO.
                    Hate to say it but i'd get a disposable french hatch.
                    306 TD sports can be had for £600-800 and whlist brittle and rattly are excellent drivers cars and well specced

you don't need to chip them either, you can adjust the fuel pump and boost pressure pretty easily
                    Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                    Indigo ABY coupé
                    Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

80 TDi's do come up cheap every now and then. I paid £200 for mine with a blown engine but it only cost me £600 in total to have it up and running with T&T. I used to get 45-50mpg before I got silly with it.

Now get around 40mpg but it is pushing 132bhp instead of the stock 90bhp.

MattS2 got the biggest bargain though. £100 for a (just about) roadworthy TDi avant with an MRC chip on it.

Ben
                      the best intentions are fraught with disappointment - gil grissom

sigpic
                      1994 ABY Avant - it's getting there

Comment

Originally posted by PeteRR View Post
                        Do I remember correctly that there was a potential issue with the gearbox on a 2.5TDi?

So do the S2's though

mine has done 155k and has no box problems.Best car i have ever owned by a mile.Seen a few saloons recently for around £800.Well recommend one.

Comment

Volvo v70 2.5 tdi its got the audi 5cyl unit i have one and it is great get 500 miles to the tank around town which is pretty respectable as my 80 tdi which the wife uses gets 50 miles more to the tank

Raj Aby

Comment

Originally posted by iain1067 View Post
                            Pug 306 hdi d turbo, 90 bhp standard chip it and you get 120 ish, i love my wife's 306 great fun little car and returns excellent fuel figures

iain
                            Yep would echo that.....my 1.6 petrol returns 40mpg and is a great drive, shame the electrics are not as fun

If you buy a 306....PLEASE, make sure you know about coil pack spikes and Sagem ecu issues and buy wisely!!!! check www.bba-reman.com Forum for more details

Cheers
                            David
                            sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Cheers guys..... would really really love an 80 Avant...but looking at prices, dont think its going to happen....

Will look around for a 306...
                              '93 S2 Coupe

Comment

Working...
                              X