anyone fitted a k&n panel filter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone fitted a k&n panel filter?

As the title anyone fitted a k&n panel filter? I've got one for the A4 and I'm wondering if its worth fitting?
    1997 A4 avant 110 TDI Quattro

Ive got one fitted - and its been no trouble.

I understand that you need to be careful not to over oil them. This can result in oil getting all over the MAF sensor (if fitted) which can then cause problems.

Comment

I had one in my old s2 avant, didnt notice any performance difference, but meant one less thing to buy for servicing.
      1996 Audi S6 Avant.
      1994 80 TDI - Daily Driver

Comment

Originally posted by CoupeWannabeS2 View Post

I understand that you need to be careful not to over oil them. This can result in oil getting all over the MAF sensor (if fitted) which can then cause problems.
        yea that was what my worry was as ive read this elsewhere.

so just be careful when cleaning it and don't put too much oil on it is the answer

Comment

Originally posted by gunman View Post
          I had one in my old s2 avant, didnt notice any performance difference, but meant one less thing to buy for servicing.
          wasn't sure if it would make any difference and to be honest never really expected any.

I had one on my old E30 years ago and can't say I noticed any performance increase.

Comment

the key is dont over oil. they generally come over oiled, i have always used Green ones as they are not oiled.

Comment

Originally posted by jbh View Post
              As the title anyone fitted a k&n panel filter? I've got one for the A4 and I'm wondering if its worth fitting?
              Some reading:

http://12v.org/audi/afcompare/

http://www.bmwe34.net/E34main/Upgrade/Air_filter.htm

I ran a K&N panel (same size as the Golf VR6s) in my 1993 UrS4 until I read those. Then I went back to OE paper.
              RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
              94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

You get some extra induction noise and lift off sound but in reality having ran a cone version for a good few years before going to standard box and paper filter, the difference in performance with OEM was like night and day.
                sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by s2driveruk View Post
                  You get some extra induction noise and lift off sound but in reality having ran a cone version for a good few years before going to standard box and paper filter, the difference in performance with OEM was like night and day.
                  I bought a 325i years ago with the cone filter and it was the first thing that I removed when I got it home.
                  I fitted a standard airbox with a K&N panel filter and noticed a difference on how it drove.

Comment

I've been running a BMC filter in the RS2 airbox for the last 5 or 6 years, no problems.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                    sigpic

Comment

I run a K&N filter in my RS2 airbox, i did run paper for quite a while until the power figures increased and a K&N was fitted, then moved to a pipercross foam filter, which promptly tore itself to piece under the suction, so now back with K&N.
                      S2Forum.com Administrator

Comment

I put K&N panel filter some time ago
                        Maybe no more power, but I liked whistling sound that was during accelaration
                        Audi RS2 600 hp
                        Audi S2 1200 hp
                        MB 230E '83
                        https://www.facebook.com/ventracing.lv/

Comment

I have a K&N filter but when I went to fit it into the stock ABY airbox it was about 1 cm (or so) to short so I didnt put it in. Are they all lilke this or is there something im not getting with it?

Comment

Working...
                          X