No announcement yet.

Kid in sweet shop needs Diesel suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just watch out for the models with the inlet flap things that fall off and go throught the turbo, My brother-in-law had a beautiful low mileage car which was written off due to this fault.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by GazzaG60 View Post
      Bit pricey. I paid 4700 5 yrs ago fora msport 5 speed auto
      That's a 2 k max car imo
      What mileage when you bought it, that sounds very good for 5yrs ago. The 330d coupes I have been looking at have been about that price for around 100k milers.

Stuff like this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2005-BMW-3...item4d192eaa33

Must admit, I am really starting to sway towards the BMW after reading a lot of reviews etc. I can walk to work in the winter or even cry off right?

Comment

Originally posted by newsh View Post
        Just watch out for the models with the inlet flap things that fall off and go throught the turbo, My brother-in-law had a beautiful low mileage car which was written off due to this fault.
        Are the swirl flaps just on Autos? Read somewhere that Manuals dont have them? Not sure though. I would be after a manual. Not a fan of autos

Comment

102k fsh folding rear seat etc. was an import though but rhd
          5s r cheaper than 3s

flaps are on e6x models not 39. its a scaremonger thing in general I think. a520d in the newer cars is good too.

Comment

mine was auto best second best (spo I thought at the time)choice I ever made. loved it. ultra smooth never missed a beat

Comment

mine was like this
              http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-E39-53...item2ecfa719a5

Comment

330d is a rocket. Probly s2 quick.

Comment

Another vote for the 530d sport. This was mine and the only issue I had in owning it over 8 years was the inline fuel pump and a broken coil spring. Other than that ultra-reliable. Super smooth retuned great mpg for the size of it and went like the clappers with a good remap. Sold it 3 years ago for 4750 with FSH and 115k on clock.

Stuart
                  B2 90 quattro with boost

Comment

Standard S2 I assume. Blimey, if its as quick as mine, I will get shot of the S2 ha ha.

Bit more research. The 6speed 204bhp E46 330d (post 03) manual does have swirl flaps whereas the previous 184bhp Manual Derv does not. Accepted mods are updated vortex breather and remove swirl flaps and blank off followed by a remap for best results and future proofing. Think I would look on Bimmer forums for the right one rather than having to undertake this work as would assume most owners wont have a clue about it.

Other than that, the reviews are really very good. The odd blown turbo which is fair enough but we all know about that ha. Many examples passing 250k miles which is where mine would get to for the amount of time I intend on keeping the next car I buy. Probably the wrong place to be saying the hunt for a BMW starts now but I promise to keep the S2.

Comment

Working...
                    X