Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tdi boost issue...help!

Hi, this is my 'work in progrss' tdi...

I'd be grateful for any help you can give me in relation to my tdi. appreciate its not an.s2 but at least it has a turbo

When I first got this car it pulled like a train in low revs, boost came on around 1200rpm. however, for some reason the boost would cut out at 4,000 before comig back. I lived with it as i hardly took it over 4,000 revs.

Then a few months ago the car went in to have its head gasket done. when i got it back it wouldn't boost until 3,500 revs! so back it went to the harage and now it only boosts at 2,000 revs, which is an utter pain for pulling away safetly from junctions or negotiating stop starts on hills. As it doesnt boost low down the rev range its placing a lot of pressur on the stock engine which has only done 150k with FSH.

I've lost confidence in the garage who just dont seem able to crack this one or explain how they changed the boost timings.

So, I guess my question is, is there anything on the 1z turbo which I can adjust to get it boosting as it came from the factory new, i dont want more or higher levels of boost, but do want it kicking in at the right time.

any help or guidance appreciated

cheers

Any fault codes. Has the pump timing being odlbserved in live readings??

Comment

Does sound very much like timing

Comment

Or they have not fitted some vac pipes correctly

Comment

1. Pump timing, as the belt was taken off. It's very sensitive, a degree off and it will not go as it should.
          2. Boost hoses/vacuum lines.

Basically the same everyone before me suggested.

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions, will check them out

Comment

On my travel looking for leaking pipes and the like....any ideas whay these plugs do?

Cheers

Comment

the small on gives a speed signal to the dash and the other one is from the reverse light switch
                audi coupe quattro b2 2.2 20vt project (573hp-626nm)
                TWINCHARGED power,zero lag
                AEM W/M injection

Comment

Originally posted by quattro-nick View Post
                  the small on gives a speed signal to the dash and the other one is from the reverse light switch
                  Many thanks for explaining thay to me

If I could ask one more thing. Ive been given an 8 pin tunning box, and I.cant find a plug it would fot on the 1z.'..the only plug remotely close to the pump is the one Ive marked....this doesnt have 8 pin connector though only 3.

I feel a tad stupid not being able to trace it
                  Last edited by yodaboyo; 19 September 2015, 18:15.

Comment

if you follow the thick black cable sideways at the pump you will find the 8 pin plug
                    audi coupe quattro b2 2.2 20vt project (573hp-626nm)
                    TWINCHARGED power,zero lag
                    AEM W/M injection

Comment

Quattro-nick

Many thanks and my total

Comment

I didn't think this age of 1z was able to have the tuning boxes fitted, i know the later one's in a4's and passats you could as i had one on mine. They do make a difference.

Get a boost gauge fitted and check what its actually boosting at.
                        Also the small hoses to the left of the turbo, if they are old replace them.
                        Check the wgfv is fitted correctly

Comment

I know nothing about these in practice, but as others have said I would suspect the timing of the injection pump has been disturbed, just from reading threads over the years.

Get another garage maybe to get to the bottom of this particular issue. Ask a truck garage for their advice.

There should be a thread on here about diesel pump timing.

Try the search function if no one has it bookmarked.

Nice looking car, spray the door mirrors, and maybe small bit of spacing for the rims, but definitely the mirrors.

Comment

I would get it running properly before trying any tuning.

Have you checked it with VAG COM yet? You can check pump timing, and then rotate the pump until its within the lines on the graph. Also check for fault codes/boost leaks as needed.

Whoever had done the belt previously on the 1z I did had just tippexed the pulleys and fitted a new belt rather than time everything.
                            Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
                            Sold ABY-stock

Comment

Cheers all for advise and comments.

Few quick snaps this morning before heading for weekly shop....need to.find time to G3 her again, need to sort rust around bonnet edge and colour code door mouldings, wing mirrors and rear bumper till I find one from an S2 avant.

It's going in on Tuesday to have 40mm springs instead of the 50/60 set up, handles like a dream in the current set up but the ride's to hard on local speed bumps. Re the boost, I cant get vag com to work,thinks its my cheap plug, so will get the timing sorted at the same time. Its serviced every 6k with no other running issues. Ive done a tonne of work to this car now not much else left to replace lol

Plan I had was to modify the 8 pin timing box to the 7 pin that I eventually located on the car last night, but having gone through about it again Ive decided to fit larger injectors, decat and chat to an old friend re new chip. I'd be more than happy with 125bhp and loads of torque.

Comment

Working...
                              X