Pauter & Carrillo rods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pauter & Carrillo rods

Anyone looking to upgrade their rods in the future?

Below are a couple of quotes based on orders of 5 sets of rods. These are all-in prices including delivery. If you're interested or would like to know more, drop me a PM.

Carrillo - £950 a set
    Pauter - £750 a set

A must if you're planning to exceed the 400+bhp mark and want peace of mind that you wont end up with a set of bananas like mine
    91 Modded 3B
    14 A6 Avant Black Edition

I just asked Mrs Santa, and she said f**k off!! So did my bank
    Looks like im out on this group buy, sorry
    I so want a set, but cant raise that cash yet, i will be in a better situation middle of next year
    sigpic
    Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
    Audi UR Quattro
    Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
    Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
    Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

I'm in for a set of Carrillos

Mark.
      Mark - Modded

Comment

What is the difference between those 2?

It's going to be a few months before I can afford them but definitely interested. If you are struglging for numbers I could maybe stretch for a set to get the group buy.
        S2,RS2,S4 WB,RS4,S4 B8,RS6 C5,RS6 C6,R8

Comment

Doug,

apart from the price, Pauters are I beam and Carrillos H beam. I spent a lot of time going through the 20v Kruemmer and the Audi5zylinderturbotechnic forums on Yahoo a while ago. It seems that most Audi people seem to lean towards the Carrillos but I know that Pauters are used extensively in Porsche applications to good effect. I'm not that knowledgable about these really and maybe someone else here, Mihnea e.t.c. may know more?

There are some very nice side by side photos of Carrillos and Pauters on the very good Audi5zylinderturbotechnic site here:

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...rturbotechnik/

Its a Yahoo group and you just have to register like we did with the old S2 forum, but its worth the time to have a look at these if your interested.

Not sure if it will work or not but here's a Link
          to one of the pics.

Cheers,

Mark.
          Last edited by Mark Halligan; 17 December 2003, 21:39.
          Mark - Modded

Comment

OK, good, it does work, the Carrillo is the one on the left. Interestingly you'll notice that niether of them is rifle drilled, I know that this is a cost option on the Carrillo and maybe the Pauter too?

Mark.
            Last edited by Mark Halligan; 17 December 2003, 21:38.
            Mark - Modded

Comment

I'm sure either the Carrillos or Pauter would be up to the task. If I had a choice, I'd go for the Carrillos. Pity you can't see them once they're installed.

Looks like most peeps are going to be skint this side of Christmas. We can push this group buy next year.
              91 Modded 3B

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Halligan
                OK, good, it does work, the Carrillo is the one on the left. Interestingly you'll notice that niether of them is rifle drilled, I know that this is a cost option on the Carrillo and maybe the Pauter too?

Mark.
                Carrillo's website has an article about rifle drilling. It says that ultimately the engine builder would have to decide if it makes sense, and also that the oil sometimes doesn't constantly get to to the wrist pin against centrifugal force.

I wonder if with the piston oil squirters the rifle drilling may not be necessary, for the added expense and possible decreased strength. Altho' they say that the design accomodates the rifle drilling, and that they take measures to prevent stress points.

Here's the article:
                http://www.carrilloind.com/tech_archives2.html

Regarding the group purchase, what about this post where someone already asked about them and found it not to be an option? But then I guess we have a 5 set price, so that's it? Also, what is that symbol you guys are using when you quote prices, is that the symbol for the Euro? I know some folks still talk in GBP. If it's the Euro, the 5 set price of 950 converts to $1176.42 at today's exchange rate from xe.com, compared to the non-group buy price of $1048 that Greg posted in the link below.

http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthr...o&pagenumber=2

I hope it's not a bad thing to post a pic from the Audi20v_Kruemmer pages here. It was submitted by Audijim, who I believe sells these rods and has his own Yahoo group http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...rturbotechnik/

There's some scans of the actual job ticket he used to buy Audi rods in the Kruemmer files.

Man, this forum needs a feature to automatically resize uploaded files to fit in the 102.4kb max. What a pain to resize. I can't see the pic in the preview, so maybe it won't show up.
                Attached Files
                Kenneth
                1990 Coupe quattro
                1991 200q20v x 2
                1985 4ksq 20vt project
                1986 Coupe GT 10vt project
                2006 Honda Ridgeline
                1998 Honda VFR800FI

Comment

I can't see the pic in the preview, so maybe it won't show up.
                  It shows up nicely, better than my link that stopped working (for me anyway :mad: )

Mark.
                  Mark - Modded

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Halligan
                    It shows up nicely, better than my link that stopped working (for me anyway :mad: )

Mark.
                    It seems that the pic doesn't actually upload for the preview, until you commit to the post. I'm glad I didn't accidentally upload something "else" by accident!
                    Kenneth
                    1990 Coupe quattro
                    1991 200q20v x 2
                    1985 4ksq 20vt project
                    1986 Coupe GT 10vt project
                    2006 Honda Ridgeline
                    1998 Honda VFR800FI

Comment

Dunno where Greg got his price from for the Carrillos. I'd be up for as set at that price if he can confirm? The price will be higher in the long run cause we'll be looking at postage to the UK and Import duty. It's the duty that jacks the price up.
                      91 Modded 3B

Comment

Dunno where Greg got his price from for the Carrillos. I'd be up for as set at that price if he can confirm? The price will be higher in the long run cause we'll be looking at postage to the UK and Import duty. It's the duty that jacks the price up.
                        As an Idea to get past import duties, couldnt we get one of our fellow american members to post a set of conrods as a "Birthday present", and so it doesnt look suspicious post a set a day from different post offices to different addresses in the uk that way all parcels are totaly unconnected.
                        Just an idea after all rules are there to be broken, or bent
                        Graham
                        Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.--:Albert Einstein

Comment

Yep you can easely post a 20$ price and import it.

I do that all the time .
                          Vadim.

New engine (mechanical PKM head) , Alcon 332mm brakes , Pauter rods , Mahle pistons, GT30R , kw v2 sucpension , new exhaust. 608HP. For SALE !

Comment

Gentlemen,
                            I am truely sorry. I can't add. Actually I don't know how to multiply.

The rods quoted to me by Carillo, are 262 USD a piece. Unfortunately, I mulitplied it by 4 instead of 5. I guess this came from running 4 cylinder porsches and vws for too many years.

So price for 5 would be 1310 USD. Sorry if I got anyones hopes up.

Here is what Carillo replied to my request for a price on I5 AAN, 3B, ABY motors.

Greg,
                            We are out of stock on these. We will have some available in about 6 weeks.
                            Your cost is $262 per rod. There is no group buy discount.

Sincerely
                            Richard Batchelor
                            Sales

I hope you Gentlemen can forgive me. I know that price is a very important item, especially when you are trying to make as many mods as people can afford, or there wife will let them.

Greg
                            They can have my car when they pry my cold dead fingers from the steering wheel.

Comment

Thanks for the confirmation Greg
                              It still looks like a good price compared to the one I was given by the UK supplier, who would be sourcing them from the US. Does anyone know what UK import rates are for stuff like this?

The suggestions of having them sent as $20 items is interesting
                              91 Modded 3B

Comment

Working...
                              X