Brake Bomb re-gas group buy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Technogym
    I sit ordinary Nitrogen that is used on these ones? What pressure are they supposed to be? Think I can do this at work...

Vegard

Mmm. I'm not sure what work you do but I would think this is unlikely.The Nitrogen has to be at a pressure of 60 bar iirc but in order to refill it the garage that does it (I am currently getting mine sent off on Monday as my bomb has gone ((nearly!)) has to drill the top out where it is filled originally, weld and fit a special valve in it's place....then do the refill procedure.

General Information on bomb renewal (see my post in suspension section regarding my failed bomb!) //

The shop advised me today that they can do the MAJORITY but NOT ALL bombs.

This is due to the fact that if a bomb is allowed to completely discharge and fail (lose all pressure) then apparently the mechanism inside is allowed to rise to far up the bomb and it puctures a critical diapragm like seal...rendering the bomb as scrap.

The advice they gave me was to NOT carry on driving with a faulty bomb because (apart from being dangerous!) it will continue to discharge itself and it doesnt take long they said for the pressure to get low enough in it so the seal gets pierced and it can no longer be repaired....

I bought my 3B with the bomb playing up anyway but sooner rather than later is definately the case here if you don't want to have to dish up the £250 + vat ~

They said it would take a day to let me know if the bomb was repairable and also do the repair//

So if my bomb lands with them Tuesday morning they said it will be Tuesday afternoon for the news (Wed am latest) and couriered back Wenesday am all being well...

So cars shouldn't be out of commission too long. Also means it will be a doddle to refill in future should you still have the car
    Last edited by s2dude; 9 March 2006, 22:34.

Comment

60 bar = 870 PSI, I can do up to 3000 PSI or 206 Bar. Drilling a hole an inserting a valve doesent seem to be much trouble....

Vegard

Comment

Interested
        ABY Coupe
        sigpic

Comment

Tentatively interested... have to do a bomb test first, if it's borderline I figure worth getting it done!
          AUDI - saving Dad's from minivans since 1994

Comment

Interested!
            '93 S4 Avant now back on the road complete with new shiny go faster bits.

Comment

Originally posted by Ross
              Tentatively interested... have to do a bomb test first, if it's borderline I figure worth getting it done!
              How would you perform such a test?

Cheers n

Si
              95 ABY S2 Coupe - Ragusa Green
              Subtle mods here and there

2011 A5 3.0 TDi - Lava Grey
              With every option available (except a towball)

Comment

Originally posted by HPmuirt
                How would you perform such a test?

Cheers n

Si
                Search "bomb test" for more info, but it involves shutting the ignition off and pumping the brakes (to the floor, release, repeat) - the more you get before the pedal goes rock-solid, the more energy stored in the BOMB - and thus the better it's condition.

I believe a 'score' of 30+ is deemed OK, 50+ would dictate a bomb in good condition. It's a good leg work-out if your bomb is new
                AUDI - saving Dad's from minivans since 1994

Comment

68 for mine to go solid, I've got one leg twice the size of the other to prove it
                  Can't find any info in my reciepts for it having been changed mind surely it can't be that good at 11years old ? Can it?

Be a great thing if this gets off the ground, save people a good bit of money
                  2001 Avus Silver B5 RS4.
                  2004 A4 Avant 1.8T quattro Sport-LE.
                  1995 S2 Coupe - sold (sniff)

Comment

Originally posted by Technogym
                    60 bar = 870 PSI, I can do up to 3000 PSI or 206 Bar. Drilling a hole an inserting a valve doesent seem to be much trouble....

Vegard

Mmm. Yes 60 * 14 = 840 PSI

maybe I was told wrong on this because I thought the bomb was 4000 psi when fully pressurised??

If you can do them can you do mine please

Comment

I'm definitely interested. However, if I do the bomb test as soon as the engine is stopped, it takes about 40 pumps for the peddle to go hard. If I leave the car for 10 mins then it only takes 1 or 2 pumps.
                      I think either the valve in the bomb has gone, or a valve in the servo. Apparently you can test the servo by removing the return pipe on top of the servo and seeing if hydraulic fluid runs out. Unfortunately I can't undo the pipe without knackering up the nut.

Will they replace the valve in the bomb when they recharge it?

Rob

Comment

Working...
                      X